404's Under a FJ 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YODA 88 62

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently picked up a couple 404s (unimog axles) from a local military surplus for a great deal. The great deal should cover a lot of the cost of redoing the drivetrain compared to a common 1 ton setup. They are stronger than many one ton setups as well.

I have done some research on the components of this build and it looks like I will need the following parts for the conversion (running the 3FE):
NV4500
Dana 300 or ford 205
Drive shafts
Advance adapter kit
Flange kits
FJ40 bellhousing, clutch, etc.
Tires
Beadlocks
Brakes????
Hydro Assist

I have never seen this set up before. I plan on running my current spring over setup on it due to possible driveline issues. Should I take wheel base into consideration? Are there better versions of the transmission and transfer cases? I know you can flip the dana 300, and the Nv4500 has an issue with the 5th gear bolt backing off. Parts for the 404s can be expensive but seem to be available.

I'm looking for any input on this...the good, the bad, etc.

Thanks
Chuck

Pics are of the axles, my cruiser before scratches,dents and fender chopping.
100_2843.jpg
photo.jpg

Last edited:
I think SOA will be too much height but can't really tell with the pic you posted. How many sets did you get?

Last edited:
Run them linked or SUA. You'll still have plenty of room for big tires.
If you go SOA you will have so much axle wrap you will end up doing a linked system anyway..

X3 and I'm not seen any problem with the NV4500 sure I love the D300 but that's just me ..

And about the room on your fenders .. are you planning to cut 'em ? tire size coz with those axles and gearing you should plan something big ..

How offset are the center sections on the 404's?

I think SOA will be too much height but can't really tell with the pic you posted. How many sets did you get?

I got 2 pair and a 5th missing a portal box/wheel/tire.

Oh yeah... can I have two of those steering axles? :)

You could purchase them all for the right price. :D

I already sold two to a buddy to throw under his XJ :hmm:. His unibody is gonna love that torque. The fronts dont like to be run backwards because of the helical cut on the portal gears and some geomerty issues with the portal box.

X3 and I'm not seen any problem with the NV4500 sure I love the D300 but that's just me ..

And about the room on your fenders .. are you planning to cut 'em ? tire size coz with those axles and gearing you should plan something big ..

The dana 300 came under a lot of different apps...are there any versions better than another?

Right now I have a spring over on 36x13.50s...same as the pic. my stock spring lost their arch, so I had to trim. The fender will have to get a huge trim to fit any tire above a 40". I will probably have to trim the rear doors too. I'm thinking about running the new 46" Michelin...softer than the common Michelin surplus tires and cheaper than Interco, Pitbulls, ect,...only a couple hundred per tire.

How offset are the center sections on the 404's?

Pinion offset is offset approximately 3.75 inches from centerline (front on left, rear on right). Mog Axles

My biggest concern with a SUA is hitting the oil pan. I will do some measuring this weekend.
I dont want to put the time into a link set up right now. I would like the majority of this project to "bolt up:D" with as little fab as possible since I lack the space/time to do the work. I can prob swing this job in the driveway one axle at a time.

Jeez...4 portals?! Care to send a pair my way?

i vote for linked also... It will be a sweet truck...

Do you mind if i ask where you got those and how much $ they set you back? you can pm me if you would like...:D

:cheers:

The fender will have to get a huge trim to fit any tire above a 40". I will probably have to trim the rear doors too. I'm thinking about running the new 46" Michelin...softer than the common Michelin surplus tires and cheaper than Interco, Pitbulls, ect,...only a couple hundred per tire.

You better move that axle way back or weld the rear doors shut. Maybe its just me but 46" tires sounds really ambitious for those axles, especially punishing leaf springs with them. Don't even think SOA like Mace said. I usually wouldn't jump on the link band wagon but with any tire close to that size this time i gotta. Link it.

I'm thinking about running the new 46" Michelin...softer than the common Michelin surplus tires and cheaper than Interco, Pitbulls, ect,...only a couple hundred per tire.

My biggest concern with a SUA is hitting the oil pan. I will do some measuring this weekend.

I dont want to put the time into a link set up right now. I would like the majority of this project to "bolt up:D" with as little fab as possible since I lack the space/time to do the work. I can prob swing this job in the driveway one axle at a time.

If you just bolt those axles up in a SOA fashion running 46" tires you are going to spend more money and time trying to pick the parts up off the road when your leaves fail.

portal axles are cool, but unless you go with something like the Volvo C303 axles in a Spring under design, you will not have a good time with "bolt up".

another vote to move the rear back and avoid messing with the rear doors .. but I still with the SO idea I don't see any problem with proper trackbars ..

And about 46" tires .. well .. also thought are way to much to those axles, carrying the 60 series weight and spares and you.

another vote to move the rear back and avoid messing with the rear doors .. but I still with the SO idea I don't see any problem with proper trackbars ..

And about 46" tires .. well .. also thought are way to much to those axles, carrying the 60 series weight and spares and you.

How much is the weight of the vehicle they came off of? I would say they should be fine.

With the low gearing of those axles you will want as large of a tire as you can get under it.

It looks like linking it may be the route to go. With my current set up I have already run thorugh one set of front springs and the rear springs are on thier way out even with a traction bar. Any ideas on what coil springs to run? I have a set of TJ, 0" lift and JK, 0" lift springs. Maybe use the Front TJ springs in the rear and the Front JK springs in the front.??

I will probably run a tire in the 40-44in range with wheel adapters to 8 on 6.5 to gain some more width. The mogs from the factory with 41s.

how is this build coming along if still happening

Chuck what are you thinkin... Links and coils for sure... When can I pick up my LC axles ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom