100 vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 105 Series was made because of strong demand from Australia and Africa. The 100 alone could not pass durability demands in those markets.

The reason they don't have a 200 Series solid axle truck is probably because it has a much better ifs system and buyers are getting 70 wagons for heavy duty use. Just a guess.

This is the multi-quote button. If you want to reply to more than one person, you click it on in each post that you want to quote. After you've clicked on it in all the posts you want to quote, you hit the regular quote button to reply. Then you reply as normal. It keeps your posts clean and keeps you from looking like a post-padding idiot.
untitled.JPG

Good Lord! So the UN and various governments and everyone including oil sheaks drive on better roads than ours? Light duty stuff, huh?

So then the data here on needing 105 (EXPENSIVE AS WELL) for severe use is all bull?

These types don't drive 200s (except the oil sheiks, who, yes, drive on MUCH better roads than us). Governments (including the U.S. government, or at least the military), NGOs, and aid organizations use the 70 Series or the 105. Toyota Gibraltar Holdings (sells to a lot of these NGOs) even offers 70 Series ambulances!

Again, what is the stated intent? Saying a particular truck is "better" than another is a uselessly broad and unintelligent statement. If my intent is driving mostly on-road, or vast expanses of mostly flat desert, than I agree, the 100 is probably a "better" truck. If my intent is to take it on the French Line across the Simpson, or across Asia, or simply run it hard and be able to maintain it long enough to put it in my will, then I believe that the 80/105 is a "better" truck. I hope that I have the 100 long enough to perhaps give it to my oldest child as her first vehicle (in about 10 years - the truck will be 17 years old then). But of the two trucks that we own, it is not the one that is going in the will.

Toyota Gib Noldings sell the 200 as well and the 100 IFS prior to that.

HomePage

Toyota Gib Noldings sell the 200 as well and the 100 IFS prior to that.

HomePage

Sure they do. They want to make money. The question isn't what they sell, but what is being bought, by whom, and for what purpose.

The question isn't what they sell, but what is being bought, by whom, and for what purpose.
Sure, but don't forget the other question... If there is such a demand for the 105.... why didn't Mr. T develop the equivalent in the 200 series. I think the answer is pretty self evident. And one can't use the argument of the 70 series.....

All series have their respective positives and negatives. Again all cruisers are awesome.... it really comes down to needs and use.

A 70 series is a much better for hard trail use than the 80, 100, or 200. Although it is probably the least comfortable.

The 80 series is a great compromise between comfort/luxury and utlilitarian. But it is starting to push the size limits when it comes to hard trails like the Rubicon. People run it all the time... but most of those rigs make up the less that 10% of the 80 series cruisers out there. But again, if you are wanting to crawl and run hard trails.... it is probably the best choice for most.

The 100 series comfort level raised the bar for me. Yes there have been those that have run the Rubicon with them including Toyota. So it can do it even with the limited available 2.5" lift proving it is capable. It is in reality a little too large for trails like the Rubicon without body damage. But for most every other offroad application it has no issue. Again for 90% of people. Truth is there is only a handful of people that would really benefit from things like SFA or FF rear. If that werent the case we wouldnt have such a debate over this. The 100 has proved to be as reliable as any other cruiser ever made. Period.

The 200 series... well, I guess like the 100 series, we will over time see the merits of it and it's solid ability to perform. And yes the even larger size will limit some things.

I just wish I could own one of each!!!

any truck can go anywhere you can afford to take it.

"hardcore" is proportionate to your disposable income

AND how crazy you are :D

Sure, but don't forget the other question... If there is such a demand for the 105.... why didn't Mr. T develop the equivalent in the 200 series. I think the answer is pretty self evident. And one can't use the argument of the 70 series.....

All series have their respective positives and negatives. Again all cruisers are awesome.... it really comes down to needs and use.

A 70 series is a much better for hard trail use than the 80, 100, or 200. Although it is probably the least comfortable.

The 80 series is a great compromise between comfort/luxury and utlilitarian. But it is starting to push the size limits when it comes to hard trails like the Rubicon. People run it all the time... but most of those rigs make up the less that 10% of the 80 series cruisers out there. But again, if you are wanting to crawl and run hard trails.... it is probably the best choice for most.

The 100 series comfort level raised the bar for me. Yes there have been those that have run the Rubicon with them including Toyota. So it can do it even with the limited available 2.5" lift proving it is capable. It is in reality a little too large for trails like the Rubicon without body damage. But for most every other offroad application it has no issue. Again for 90% of people. Truth is there is only a handful of people that would really benefit from things like SFA or FF rear. If that werent the case we wouldnt have such a debate over this. The 100 has proved to be as reliable as any other cruiser ever made. Period.

The 200 series... well, I guess like the 100 series, we will over time see the merits of it and it's solid ability to perform. And yes the even larger size will limit some things.

I just wish I could own one of each!!!

Kudo's to your post! Some will not like it though!

why didn't Mr. T develop the equivalent in the 200 series. I think the answer is pretty self evident. And one can't use the argument of the 70 series.....

Please explain why not? Because I believe that is exactly what they did. Simplification of production lines. Global economic downturn. No need to develop and produce three separate lines when two (70, 200) already have the entire market covered.

And you're correct, the 100 can do the Rubicon. Even with only minor body damage. I watched one do it, and all he got was a torn off side molding and and a leaking aux fuel tank. But man, it was excruciating work, whereas those of us in 80s pretty much glided through. My point is to understand what is the proper vehicle for the intended purpose. And to do that, you first need to know what the intended purpose is. I never debated that 100s can tackle most wheeling duties just fine. But it is frustrating to get pig-headed people to understand that there are many attributes valued by many people for which the 80 comes out superior to the 100.

if we had the 105 available here in the States, I don't think these debates would be happening as often.

From time to time, I always read about IFS this, and IFS that, and a constant comparison to SFA. One example is Paul May's 100 in 4WD Toyota Owner where he says, it's no SFA, but for 'his' use and needs IFS is preferable. I'm curious to know if the 105s were available here, I wonder if he would've still opted for the 100 for his needs.

if we had the 105 available here in the States, I don't think these debates would be happening as often.

From time to time, I always read about IFS this, and IFS that, and a constant comparison to SFA. One example is Paul May's 100 in 4WD Toyota Owner where he says, it's no SFA, but for 'his' use and needs IFS is preferable. I'm curious to know if the 105s were available here, I wonder if he would've still opted for the 100 for his needs.

I don't know about him, but as much as I love my 100, if I could have gotten a HDJ105, HDJ80, or the newer 1VD powered 70s i wouldn't have had to think twice about it.

That'd said, the 100 makes the most sense for my needs/usage, but being reasonable is no fun.

Even if available, I'm not so sure I'd buy a new HZJ105.

The 105's I've seen are bare bones. I kinda like my heated bucket seats, armrests, center console, power windows, keyless entry and rear AC. If I want bare bones, I'll drive the 70. The 105's 1HZ at 129hp is very underpowered. Sure it can be turboed but it still won't be a 1HD-FTE. And the 105's front diff is also known to be weak.

One could take an '03, send it to Slee for a SAS, leave the drivetrain out and then send it to eleblanc for a 1HD-FTE swap! This is a better vehicle in my mind. Better engine, better differential and all the luxury components.:cool:

Even if available, I'm not so sure I'd buy a new HZJ105.

The 105's I've seen are bare bones. I kinda like my heated bucket seats, armrests, center console, power windows, keyless entry and rear AC. If I want bare bones, I'll drive the 70. The 105's 1HZ at 129hp is very underpowered. Sure it can be turboed but it still won't be a 1HD-FTE. And the 105's front diff is also known to be weak.

Don't forget the 105 GXL.. It has all of the above, except for the rear A/C. It has the exact intreior as the 100 (pre 2003) mine also has the woodgrain dash and console!
Its true about the front diff tho.. But only Breaking in reverse... My next truck will be the 70 wagon the 200 is not for me!

cheers BD

Why not. They need a vehicle for third world situations. They already have everything they need. Just update the sheetmetal a little. The current 70 series shares much that came from the 80 and the 100. The people that need 70 series does not need a luc wagon, so why try to dumb down the 200 to the level of the 70 series, when you already have it. It extends your product's time on the market. I think that was a very clever move to get more $'s out of a development investment that was already made.

What would a dumb down 200 do what a 70 can't.

OK, and for those that do want the most current styling, they offer a strip down 200 with a 4.0l v6 in the middle east. So new sheet metal styling, less expensive drivetrain and a much simpler interior / electronics package. I am sure they looked at the intended middle east market, and the returns on that market justified the development. Also for the dune bashing, road driving most of those people do, the IFS is what they wanted.

Why would the current 70 series wagon be any less comfortable than a 80 series? Same front suspension, with a leaf setup in the rear. Maybe a little sacrifice in the rear for the added load carrying and better towing characteristics of a leaf rear end.

Why would the current 70 series wagon be any less comfortable than a 80 series? Same front suspension, with a leaf setup in the rear. Maybe a little sacrifice in the rear for the added load carrying and better towing characteristics of a leaf rear end.

Yup. I would do anything for a new one of any of these rigs.
GRJ79_TAB.jpg
HZJ79_TAB.jpg
HZJ78_TAB.jpg

Don't forget the 105 GXL.. It has all of the above, except for the rear A/C. It has the exact intreior as the 100 (pre 2003) mine also has the woodgrain dash and console!
Its true about the front diff tho.. But only Breaking in reverse... My next truck will be the 70 wagon the 200 is not for me!

cheers BD
You're not helping me, fishy. I'm trying hard not to like what I can't get!:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom