Developed a way to rebuild windshield wiper motor a 1971 FJ40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good news! Whomever needs help with rebuilding a 1971 fj40 windshield type motor need not worry, I now have all the equipment needed to rebuild a motor brand new. From the motor to the magnets. I will show an example of what the motor looked like in my iron horse before and a after pic. Pics will be up, only after I have the motor completely dry from the paint it just got. Just wanted to help the other FJ40 owners know for this type of motor that you are not screwed since no one sells them brand new. I honestly dont get why they are not sold new like the other years. Pics will be up soon!:cheers:

The wiper motor didnt take up that much time. I had it taken apart and cleaned, greased. and rebuilt it all. it runs perfect and is unbelieveably smooth. Im definitely now going to be able to rebuild any if anyone needs them rebuilt. All greased and cleaned and painted and all. Just let me know! I can have it done in under a few days since I have them broken down to a art:) please PM me!

Dude thats way cool. Now if you conquered the heater motor you would be seriously solid. whats the cost on that wiper motor rebuilt?

I'm not sure if the '64 wiper motor is similar to the '71 but I need her rebuilt. Let me know if you want to take it on or share your method with us.

Count me in too! I have a 71 that is in despirate need of some wiper action

My apologies for not getting back to you! I have it set up still and need to have pics up. I havent had time. I actualy rebuilt the one I have been working on for a buddies completely. I will get them up when I have time. No worries I also did find out the secret to rebuilding a heater. It took a week of figuring it out but I learned to rebuilt the heater front and rear too. They will be up soon. And to all those year motors-YES they are all doable for me to do.

here is one of the arms to the motor, cleaned out, gutted, rebuilt and finished with paint. every single piece was taken apart and cleaned and it runs so smooth. I havent taken a pic of the motor yet but will tonight
photo.jpg
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg

Heads up on your motor - It is probably still good.

I'd like to give some advice for those in my similar situation.
Here is what I had/have:
My new rig and the wiper would not turn on from the dash switch! Wiring looked good but it wouldn't budge, not even a lerch.

my advice - remove the entire wiper assembly as one entire peice. Remove the cover to the main wiper (that's the one on the passenger side. Cover has like 6 screws. Remove the 2 snap rings on the gears that connect the 2 wipers together.

This is done to isolate the motor to see if your motor is working. If your mechanisms get fouled up with crappy old grease or sticky from lack of use, the motor could be fine, but not strong enough to overcome the old grease and crap (like mine).

We need to test the motor - cuz if the motor is bad, then I need to find a new one

Now test the motor by running a wire off your battery to your motor connector. There will be 4 wires in the connector. then "Connect +12V to the solid blue wire on the wiper motor. Then GROUND the Blue/Black wire for HIGH and then ground the Blue/Red for LOW. Do NOT ground both at the same time!!!" I got this from a dude with a handle of COOLERMAN earlier post.

Just strike one to the other and look for sparks or motor movement. It should turn or lerch. if it lerches when you strike, then the motor is good. NOW clean out all the gunk and lots of 3in-one oil to get everything moving. now invest in getting all the old grease out

now start disassembling and cleaning and painting and reassembling and re-installing.

Thanks to Dude Coolerman for his previous post.

I cam post photos if I get to it tonight. I won't waste your time if no one is interested.

I'm interested! Post Pictures

got some photos

took off my mobile, but I think this will work.

Remember to take off the cover plate and remove all the gunk.

My picture is of the insides with the cover removed. REMOVE tot 2 snap rings and then try your motor.

hoping this helps.
wiper insides.jpg

Heads up on your motor - It is probably still good.

I'd like to give some advice for those in my similar situation.
Here is what I had/have:
My new rig and the wiper would not turn on from the dash switch! Wiring looked good but it wouldn't budge, not even a lerch.

my advice - remove the entire wiper assembly as one entire peice. Remove the cover to the main wiper (that's the one on the passenger side. Cover has like 6 screws. Remove the 2 snap rings on the gears that connect the 2 wipers together.

This is done to isolate the motor to see if your motor is working. If your mechanisms get fouled up with crappy old grease or sticky from lack of use, the motor could be fine, but not strong enough to overcome the old grease and crap (like mine).

We need to test the motor - cuz if the motor is bad, then I need to find a new one

Now test the motor by running a wire off your battery to your motor connector. There will be 4 wires in the connector. then "Connect +12V to the solid blue wire on the wiper motor. Then GROUND the Blue/Black wire for HIGH and then ground the Blue/Red for LOW. Do NOT ground both at the same time!!!" I got this from a dude with a handle of COOLERMAN earlier post.

Just strike one to the other and look for sparks or motor movement. It should turn or lerch. if it lerches when you strike, then the motor is good. NOW clean out all the gunk and lots of 3in-one oil to get everything moving. now invest in getting all the old grease out

now start disassembling and cleaning and painting and reassembling and re-installing.

Thanks to Dude Coolerman for his previous post.

I cam post photos if I get to it tonight. I won't waste your time if no one is interested.

Yes please.. it's on my list of things to do. I have 1 working wiper, and 1 not. I was just going to parallel disassemble them both and see if I can get them both working (or both broken!).. would welcome a step-by-step tutorial and any pics. Thanks!

Thanx guys the information was helpful, I just completed my wiper rebuild, just wanted to point out that on my '72 fj40 the blue/red wire was high speed and the blue/white wire was low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom