Stolen Cat. converter pls. help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just discovered that someone stole my rear cat. converter on my 97 LX450. Is this a common stolen item for the FJZ80? Can I just go to any muffler shop and get one installed will this cause any error code, thanks for your help guys.

time to update your location info.
varies state to state. if your in California, it HAS to be a California specific catalytic converter!
otherwise they make a 49 state legal cat that might work just fine.
its common on anthing that doesnt require a jack to get underneath it. takes about 1 minute with a sawzall to steal it.

Sorry yes I'm from California. Didn't know people do this, I would expect break ins or stolen wheels or even gas but not CATs.

I've heard of it happening before. If I'm not mistaken, it isn't to resell the part, it's to scrap it for the precious metal inside. OEM Toyota converters have a lot of material - hence the reason for stealing a part off a low production 14 year old vehicle. See here: In Under Two Minutes: Catalytic Converter Theft — Edmunds.com

They likely also sawed off/cut your rear O2 sensor too. OEM O2 sensor are over $100.

Here's wishing bad things on the thief . . .

Check the classifieds here on 'mud. Im sure someone is parting out or bought aftermarket for their 80 and is selling at reasonable cost.

... and yes, little searching around here in the 80 tech it has happened multiple times. :mad:

Luckily they just unbolted the rear and just took one. After this happened I was searching the web and also came across stealing CATs for platinum. I guess or neighborhood is getting worse just yesterday my dads Prerunner got broken in to. I'm gonna just have to drive down the nearest muffler shop two block away and get a new CAT. thanks guys

Man, are there some scumbags on this earth.

I hope the thief gets cancer and dies - the piece of $hit deserves to suffer for his actions and grief he's caused to others!!!

thanks guzzla but I don't know about getting cancer and dieng, maybe just a good beating

It was literally just on the news the other day here in sac.
One dumbass tried to get my friends, but the blade broke halfway through the first cut. His taco sounded like a tractor when it started.
Where in Cali are you?

They stole my 4Runner cat a couple years ago. My wife was at a store, and one of the employees saw them come from underneath the car. It was 2 girls! :mad:

I think I'm gonna weld in some rebar. You can only deter. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it. Unless I catch em in the act with my 45 in hand. But that's a diff story Altogether.

We've had a bad rash of cat thefts here in Santa Fe, NM. About a dozen a week for the last 3 months. And this is a community of about 70K people. Crack heads should not be allowed to own power tools...

i am not a fan of theft, but i would rather someone steal a cat that probly needed replaced , than my wheels and tires, or other items. it would be interesting to here if people that have them replaced, vehicle's run better and get better mpg after.

A coworker of mine had both his cats stolen in our work parking garage. Sawzalled off his Highlander during work hours.

if you have a low deductible check with your insurance company if the theft is covered, might be a shot in the dark but i may be worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom