91 & 92 EFI Relay Spares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H-

No need to apologize. No offence taken at all. That goes for all of you (yes, even Junk). When you need something, you need it. Simple as that.
Sometimes the aftermarket guys can cross numbers using the OEM number. The OEM is a 90987-02004, replaced by a 90987-02004-83. Either one works. You may try giving them the OE number. FWIW the OEM lists for $11.21 and could be had for about 8 and a half bucks ;)

D- :banana:

there is also a Sorenson relay that is "supose" to be an upgrade, forget the parts number but it's out of a Caprice cop car I think.

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=5120;start=msg39534#msg39534 date=1063144904]
....cop tires, cop transmisison....cop relay?

-H-
[/quote]

IT'S A 106 MILES TO CHICAGO. WE'VE
GOT A FULL TANK OF GAS, HALF A
PACK OF CIGARETTES, IT'S DARK,
AND WE'RE WEARING SUNGLASSES.
HIT IT.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=5120;start=msg39531#msg39531 date=1063144061]
there is also a Sorenson relay that is "supose" to be an upgrade, forget the parts number but it's out of a Caprice cop car I think.
[/quote]

Does a Caprice Cruiser have a different Fuse setup than a normal Caprice?

Rogue,

Police package vehicles have different electrical syatems than run of the mill sedans. The relay mentioned by John probably relates to the light bar or siren. That stuff is all aftermarket and different departments set up thier cruisers in different manners. For example, the cars are usually delivered without light bars, prisioner barriers, shotgun locks, radio and KDT equipment, night vision interior lighting, ETC. The department garage mechanics set up the cars per department spec. Often no two cars are exactly alike, especialy if more than one mechanic sets them up. They evolve constantly.

Dan.

So it is just some higher capacity fuse? What is the deal?

Not a fuse, a relay. A relay that can handle more current without failing. The current demands for lighting and sirens on police cars are akin to winches for us.

My simple solution to the 91-92 EFI relay problem: I used to go through a few every year, especially during summer. About two years ago, I took a tube of silicon/dialectric grease and coated the hell out of all four prongs. Also jammed the grease into the relay holder. Never had a problem since then. I do go back and reapply the grease once a year or so, but have not had to replace the relay in the last few years. Hope this helps someone out there.

Ross

FYI...tried aftermarket (el-cheapo)....

Suggest you use only for a spare.

My truck ran like crap on those...pop in a toyota...smoooooth.

You can do it and compare..I saw a difference.

In the underhood fusebox, driver's side.

To be clear, the OEM relay is part number 909870200483 and the list price is $11.84.
There is a drop in replacement from a Camry that is a green plastic can as opposed to stamped aluminum. Part number 2830016010. I can't seem to find pricing on that number, but it's not expensive. Perhaps on of our esteemed parts dudes can throw out a list price and double check that part number.
The same EFI main relay is used on ALL 80 Series, 3F-E and 1FZ-FE alike.

In any case an OEM part WILL work and doesn't cost much.

what are symptoms of a bad relay? How can you tell when the relay is bad itself, does it burn out like a fuse? Thanks

what are symptoms of a bad relay? How can you tell when the relay is bad itself, does it burn out like a fuse? Thanks

I'm a :banana:short of a :banana:, but through searching I found that I had a bad relay when my '97 would turn over but not start. Ended up browsing through 'mud and found when I turned my key to "on" I had no CEL whatsoever... popped in a new one from the local dealership (paid $16 :doh:) and she fired right up.

[Someone help me out if I'm way off base here... :cheers:]

Well, I knew mine was bad when the GWB would start when cold, but not after running for a bit.

Or, it would cut out on the 405 at 60mph, or on Alondra Blvd in rush hour traffic, or sitting in traffic in Venice.

I started keeping a spare to switch out if that happened, but it never did once I replaced the relay.

I just had this problem this morning - Solid cranking, no start. Before panicking i opted to consult this Forum, as y'all know way more than i do. In first search, threads comes up, identifying and symptoms and cause, and that this is a known issue (not to me until now) Check the relay, she's loose and pretty burnt, push it back into place, she fires right up, i go to napa get a replacement and a spare. Twenty years ago it would have probably taken me days to sort this out.

Big thanks to all the cruiser geniuses on here that make it possible for a noobs like me to sort this stuff out without having an aneurysm. I've learned more about the LC reading this forum for a few weeks than i ever learned about Fords reading manuals, wrenching and rebuilding them for 10 years.

Big Mahalos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom