trouble codes 93 LC please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 93 Landcruiser is showing the following codes

Can anyone tell me what they mean and which components might be involved? (I read TCM Communication, but I have no idea what that means or if it is accurate)

Thanks,
Eric

You hava an early 93 (built before May 93) with an engine ECU #89661-60170 or 89661-60220 (Ca emissions). You have TCM-ECM communication problems. In order to correct it you will need to replace the engine ECU with one numbered 89661-60221. You may be able to find a used one out of a late 93 or a 94. A new one lists for $1,575.79

D-

CDan- just out of curiosity: what causes the problem, what does "TCM-ECM communication problem" mean, and is there any harm to leaving it be?

The problem is in the original ECM. The later part number addresses the problem. I do not know the long-term effects of not changing the ECM.

Thanks...my problem is a stumbling after stopping for a light or stop sign, only sometimes. Also, sometimes at startup after the truck is warm and shutoff for a few minutes, the idle races up and down a few times. Also, when warm the idle acts as if a cold start valve was firing fuel when it shouldn't at startup. Are these all clues to the control unit being bad?
Thanks,
Eric

cruiserdan said:
The problem is in the original ECM. The later part number addresses the problem. I do not know the long-term effects of not changing the ECM.

It would be nice to just be able to do a firmware update a la motherboards on computers.

$1600 is a crazy amount of money!

[at least for me.... :rolleyes: ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom