It's alive....ALIVE!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been tinkering, hammering, wrenching, swearing and drinking...lots of drinking:beer: in the garage for the last several months. But we're finally ready for the unveiling....

1985 FJ60

'98 Chevy Vortec 5.7 w/ full GM wiring harness & engine mgmt.
4L60E transmission w/ B&M shifter
Dual battery w/ isolator
Custom 3" exhaust
Completely California BAR smog legal :clap:

SOA lift w/ extra leaf at rear corners, modified shackles, hi-steer conversion, dual steering stabilizers, quick release front sway bar, rear sway bar, steel braided brake lines, custom front shock towers, Bilstein shocks

Exterior:
ARB front bumper w/ Milemarker 9000 lb winch, Hella 700FF lights
My custom design rear bumper w/ dual swing out spare tire and twin fuel can holder, hitch receiver
Con Ferr 5'x7' roof rack (I like big racks :eek:) w/ ARB awning, Hi-Lift jack, shovel & axe, second spare tire mount.
Aussie style mirrors

Interior:
Smittybilt center console w/ CB radio, Kenwood in-dash stereo with rotating faceplate, factory inclinometer, passenger dash grab handle, auxiliary fuse panel, inverter.

Parts waiting in the garage for install:
Safari Snorkel, long range fuel tank, Hella headlamps.

Parts on the list to acquire:
Slider/ steps, lockers, on-board air.
Tires and wheels. I'm currently running 33-1050R15 BFG A/Ts on stock wheels (6 total) but want to go larger. I haven't made up my mind on a wheel yet so I'll just run it this way for now.

My wife and I like to go on expedition style camping adventures into the wilderness/ desert. We're also fortunate to have some amazing trails right in our backyard in the San Bernardino mountains. I bought this truck from a gentleman a while back who started many of the nice upgrades. I've been reworking things and upgrading as I worked on it. Finally, last week, we decided to sell our original cruiser.:crybaby: It was a stock drive train, OME suspension '84 FJ60 that many of you have seen one place or another. Now my newly completed rig has taken it's place in the garage!

On to the pictures...
DSC04313.jpg
DSC04314.jpg
DSC04315.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for alaska60 to come in here... ;p

Nice looking ride but it definitely needs some meats!

Looks bad ass... Even with the small tires it rocks

How bout some under hood pictures. What kind of harness? Love to hear about the trials and tribulations. Mounts, Cross members, Etc. matt

Very nice rig, question... where did you get the mounts for the High Lift Jack and shovel/axe?

How bout some under hood pictures. What kind of harness? Love to hear about the trials and tribulations. Mounts, Cross members, Etc. matt

I've got build photos and I'll take some new ones and post them soon. Stock GM harness spliced into the Toyota one.

Very nice rig, question... where did you get the mounts for the High Lift Jack and shovel/axe?

Found those a while back on Craigslist. Old school Con Ferr stuff that a guy had bought for his heep and never installed. :D

Looks awesome man, now get some proper tires on there!

I know, I know....I need to get tires. I just haven't figured out which rims to buy. I want to get the correct offset (I hate spacers) and I'd like to buy 6 (dual spares for long treks) so cost is a factor. The 6 33-1050R15s on stock wheels that I currently have are essentially new, less than a year old and maybe 1500 miles on them. Maybe someone wants to trade or buy these:rolleyes:.

I figure 35-1250R15 BF Goodrich A/T is the tire that will work best for me so I've got to choose a good rim for that.

I run a 15x10" rim with a 2.5" backspace. It gives me a great amount of offset which gives the truck more stability. Some only run a 15x8" because of the increased risk of rolling a bead with the 10" wide rims, but a generous amount of bead glue would remedy that issue.

Very nice! I would kill for those 33's lol actually I'd kill for probably anything on that rig. It's sweet!

Post up some pics of your engine setup. What are you running for your radiator, fan shroud..etc? Looks good.

Your Cruiser looks very good, dude! I think you'll love the 35x12.5 Goodrich KM2. Especially if you do a lot of "light" off roading. I have them under my rig and I am definitely satisfied. But take a rim (15x10) that has at most 3.5" backspace.

Nice work, Simon - Kinda looks like a beautiful girl with spindly legs, though...
:rolleyes:

:D

How you like the V8 ?

Nice work, Simon - Kinda looks like a beautiful girl with spindly legs, though...
:rolleyes:

:D

How you like the V8 ?

Now I'm confused, my dad always told me to stay away from the girls with fat ankles! :cool:

Love the V8. I've only put about 250 miles on it since it's been road worthy so I haven't really tested it out. I did drive up the Cajon Pass and held a steady 70 all the way without even pushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom