1962 FJ40 w/hardtop rebuild/restore 2011 By Greg Hobbs, Phx, Az (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok you guys asked for some pics here is what I'm starting with and a little history on it. In 96' this was my daily driver. I blew the tranny and parked it and bought a 4x4 Suburban. Lets just say it became my main project and daily driver. Now here 15yrs later, the Sub is gone(stolen in 05') I bought a 01' Dakota and have just finished paying it off. So now I can take my focus, dreams, and guilt (LOL) back to start with the one vehicle that has been here since day one! I do mean that to! My Dad bought it the same month I was born from his best friend. As a baby my parents would put my playpen inside the back, pad it with pillows and blankets and off we would go wheeling. By the age of 2 I knew how to shift and put it into 4wheel drive, hubs and all. Growing up with the FJ40 definatly left an imprint on me and love for the Cruisers. I watched my Dad take it places only a mountain goat would go, and hearing people say "You can't get "that" up that up or over there!" and hearing my Dad's reponse to them "No Problem!" Then watching my Dad do the impossible feat without breaking sweat or the Cruiser. Then he would get out and just smile at them as they were picking their jaws up out of the dirt! LOL! When I was 16 my Dad let me really start driving it. I drove it in and out of HS. Then in 93' my Dad passed away from ALS (Lou Gehric's Disease) I promised him I would never sell it and take care it of and hopefully pass it on to my kid(s). So it's truly is a family heirloom. I hope to complete it and have a dedication put somewhere on it for my Dad that reads "Built in Memory of My Best Friend, My Hero, My Dad"
So Thats the story on and behind my 62' FJ40.
Here are the stats on the Cruiser as I know them,
1962 Toyota FJ40 w/ Hard Top
Mgf date March 1962
Engine- 283 Chevy
Tranny-Stock 3 speed floor shift, stock
Transfer case- Stock (vaccum controled type)
Axles- Stock with Center Rear Pumkin
Warn Locking hubs
Steering- Chevy Power steering with Chevy Tilt Column
Seats- Driver/Passenger -old Subaru buckets I believe.
Rear- Factory style jump seats Driver & Passenger sides
Doors- Later model 70's style, but have Factor originals with
sliding glass and Bug Catcher style wing vents
Rear- Bi-Fold Double Glass with 2 small bottom doors
Top- Hard corragated steel sides with fiberglass top with rear top
vent
Wheels and Tires- 15x8 white spoke with 31/10.50's
Tow bar and rear rack- Custom old school style
Everything else is all stock except for extra buttons and guages on dash.

P.S. All the little spots you see on the body are from when a major hail storm hit Phx in Oct., not a single dent from it, just knocked of the oxidation off the paint! LOL It was being stored over at Mom's house when it hit, they are having to replace the roof on the house and it did $8000 damage to her van! Just to give you an idea how bad it was.
1962 FJ40 001.jpg
1962 FJ40 002.jpg
1962 FJ40 004.jpg

Last edited:
Great story, and decent looking rig!

What are your plans...to find an original engine, and tranny, and bring it back to the way it was new, so a true restoration, or to refurbish it and get it back on the road?

Post up more pics when you can :cheers:

I am not sure what direction I'm going to go yet, but I want to get it road worthy again as a first step! Would love to turn it into an ICON but won't have a $100 grand to spend until my rich Uncle gets out of the poor house! LOL! But any suggestions that anyone has one upgrades would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks Greg

Looks like it probably close to my old house. I have to have a roof put on along with replacing windows and other items. So are you planning restoring back to original, Just the way it is now or doing some upgrades?

I don't believe the second piece of glass is original. I would have to check my 62 FSM and microfiche. It does seem like it was done pretty often to this old tops. Mainly because ofthe poor vision with just the top piece of glass. I have a couple of old FJ40 hard tops tucked away in a garage here in the valley if you want to check something out.

I'm curious how you figured the production date out? I know SOR only has info back to 64 or 65. Up thru 64 the first digit in the VIN was the year of production. But place a month on it I haven't a clue how to do that. Even JohnnyC who is a GURU at this old info has only found production totals for a year in the early models.

I was guessing from the old registration papers my Dad had it says Mar 62 on the papers.
And to LIVING--- its near I-17 and Greenway

Last edited:
I am not sure what direction I'm going to go yet, but I want to get it road worthy again as a first step! Would love to turn it into an ICON but won't have a $100 grand to spend until my rich Uncle gets out of the poor house! LOL! But any suggestions that anyone has one upgrades would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks Greg

Hey Greg, for what it's worth, I would do a true restoration on the rig you have. It looks clean enough, you have the rare original doors, what mods done can be undone, and the engine you can change at any point down to road for a Toyota F135. I am not saying to take it to the frame at all...get it running and safely on the road, but when doing so, buy original parts when you need to, and not aftermarket stuff. If you do this now, and are careful to "respect" the heritage of the cruiser your dad purchased, then when you do hand it down to your kids, it will still be an authentic 1962 FJ40...This is what I would do...you can always do the frame off with your kids down the road if you protect what you have now.

If you really wanted something like an ICON, then find yourself a cheap second FJ to modify, something like a 1978, and with the help and knowledge of the really good people here on MUD, I am sure you can build a much better rig than the ICON, and for way less than half the price.

It goes with out saying that this is your rig, and you should do what you want, but since you asked, then I would properly restore your 62 :beer:

Its been, except for the doors being changed, exactly the same for 37yrs. I really want to put the original doors back on just because the fit is what its supposed to be. But I have no parts to the window assembly for reference and finding pics of the parts are even harder. When the original doors were on, it was STICK IN= WINDOW UP, STICK OUT= WINDOW DOWN! LOL

Its been, except for the doors being changed, exactly the same for 37yrs. I really want to put the original doors back on just because the fit is what its supposed to be. But I have no parts to the window assembly for reference and finding pics of the parts are even harder. When the original doors were on, it was STICK IN= WINDOW UP, STICK OUT= WINDOW DOWN! LOL

LOL...all part of the charm of an early cruiser :beer:

Great story... I like such stories.
What I have seen, you live in Arizona, dry climate ,
so a complete fram off resto isn`t necessary.
Think I would keep the patina, even the old Chevy engine and the other modifications your father had made I wouldn`t change.
These early day modifications belong to the history of your 40
....so keep it. ;)
Would only change the rims and the white doors.
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Well I think I may go to the extreme and pull the frame, due to the fact that the shackle mount broke through the frame on the front passenger side and they stuck a steel block in the frame and welded it all back together. When I last towed it I found the factory pins/bolts from the shackle mount and frame hand sheard off so a temp fix I chained around the frame so it wouldnt shift while towing. And where they put the power steering box at on the drivers side between bumper and frame they cut the frame off and welded one huge steel plate in. So I'm just wondering if there are any other stress cracks or breaks anywhere. I will say the 283 is and awsome motor for the Cruiser.

More Pics are definatly on the way, even one of me at 2 standing next to it when the original doors were on! Im waiting to send in for my membership. Prob next Friday I will be sending it in. A little cash poor due to unexpected DR and dentist visits. Glad I have Ins. LOL
If any of you guys want to look me up I'm on the list here for facebook. Or even if anyone wants to be nosey and come look at it I would be glad to show it off!
I would really like to make some nice contacts around here and the Phx area for the future questions and rebuild.
Thanks Greg

Just by chance does anyone know the guy that has the Green 64 FJ40 that was featured on the cover of Four Wheeler magazine a while back? I know he lives here in Phx. That was a nice ride would love to see it!

I would love to take a look at it. I live in South Peoria. My old house is in the 35th and Glendale area. I will be out of town this weekend but maybe next. If you looking for info on lifts, V8 conversions and other mods the 40/55 will be the place to ask. For old school original the 25 section should get what you need to know.

:cheers:
John

Just by chance does anyone know the guy that has the Green 64 FJ40 that was featured on the cover of Four Wheeler magazine a while back? I know he lives here in Phx. That was a nice ride would love to see it!

Awesome. That's me. We live pretty close too. I would be happy to help ya out with bringing your 40 back to life.:grinpimp:

Hey Jack, Wow that's really cool! I've been keeping the mag handy, I keep studying the pics to see everything you did! lol But would like to set up a meet and greet sometime and bounch ideas around on what direction I should be taking on this project. Thanks for the time to respond on my post!
Thx Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom