Alaska Cruiser Trek 2011... Yes 2011! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a very good *chance* that I will have a rig or two available to rent. I had expected to be ramping up for the Blue Moose Overland Operations already during this winter and spring, but my new partner flaked out on me and things are progressing at a slower pace. But I am still hoping to have one FJ80 set up to meet the requirements and depending on how the support truck needs shake out I may have my '62 available after I replace all the front end sheet metal that got crunched in Whitehorse.

I will begetting info/application packets out real soon here but the rental situation may not be nailed down until the end of January.

Mark...

I will begetting info/application packets out real soon here but the rental situation may not be nailed down until the end of January.

I'd be interested in being 1 of 4 people in that rental 80 if you're going to sell seats in it.

I would love to drive my '96 FZJ80 up there for it - but the time from work factor is even greater than the gas $$$$ and logistics factor.

Staying tuned in...

If I have the 1 or 2 rigs available to rent, I will almost certainly be providing them per vehicle, and let whoever rents then work out the details about who sits where.

Mark...

Four people in a cruiser (even an 80) during the trek would be a very full, roof rack required sort of ride! :eek: Considering the gear need for 7-10 days off-road, two folks per is ideal.

OTOH, I'd love to see four guys (better yet...girls :princess::) come up and fill a cruiser to the brim. I suppose since renters would be flying, how much gear can you really bring? :hmm: Know that you'll always be taken care of - I'm mean how many axes, welders and :wrench: does one group really need? :cheers:

Four people in a cruiser (even an 80) during the trek would be a very full, roof rack required sort of ride! :eek: Considering the gear need for 7-10 days off-road, two folks per is ideal.

OTOH, I'd love to see four guys (better yet...girls :princess::) come up and fill a cruiser to the brim. I suppose since renters would be flying, how much gear can you really bring? :hmm: Know that you'll always be taken care of - I'm mean how many axes, welders and :wrench: does one group really need? :cheers:

It all depends on how you're willing to live and what you can count on buying when you get there. I've done remote backpacking treks in the 10 day range. Although I wouldn't be able to put everything I would need for a trek like this in the overhead bin as carry on, I'm pretty sure I could get by with 1 checked bag.

Tent & tarp ~ 8lbs
-40* Wiggy's sleep system ~ 9 lbs
Base clothes 15lbs (way more than I'd ever take backpacking)
Warmth & water layers 12 lbs
Vit Kit, basic cooking utensils, empty canteens ~ 2 lbs
Two big dry bags 1 lb
Pack it all into a wheeled duffle ~ 3lb
=~50 lb checked bag

Carry on the camera kit, :censor: kit and whatever else didn't fit in the 50lb limit on the big bag.

Beg borrow or buy a lawn chair once there. Donate it to anyone who wants it before leaving.

Obviously those flying in won't have camp stoves, tools, fuel, food, beer, liquor, firearms, large water containers, recovery gear, portable showers, awnings, tables, spice racks, etc...

They're going to want/need to do a bit of shopping once there.

As for 4 people 10 days in an 80... I've done that several times. Even with a compressor, foolish amounts of tools and spare parts, fridge, lawn chairs, multiple tents, folding tables, stoves, fuel, four sleep systems, clothing bags and more I've never needed to put stuff on the roof. Granted, I have the 3rd row removed and a cargo barrier and can't see out the back - but it all fits.

So - I could see 4 people in one 80 if they're all limited to less than 75 lbs of personal gear, know what they're getting into and can be friendly with the others.

Meeting 3 strangers and spending 10 days in a vehicle with them in as close to no-where as a person can reasonably expect to get? Now THAT would be an adventure.

You may be underestimating the amount of space that four guys would fill with their gear. Fuel, food/drink/coolers take a bit of space too.

That said... Archie, Luis Sr and Luis Jr did the Trek in a "40 this last time around. They did not drive all the way up (Flew into Anchorage) but the did the trail with three adult males in a '40

Chad and his father and his son did the same in a '60

BUT...

My biggest concern right off the top of my head is that I also have to keep in mind the possibility of four strangers NOT getting along for the duration of the trek. If a couple come up, or if four buddies get together on their own and ride together, that is one thing. Not sure that I want the responsibility of playing referee if four strangers wind up not meshing well though.

Lots of stuff still under consideration...

Mark...

BUT...

My biggest concern right off the top of my head is that I also have to keep in mind the possibility of four strangers NOT getting along for the duration of the trek. If a couple come up, or if four buddies get together on their own and ride together, that is one thing. Not sure that I want the responsibility of playing referee if four strangers wind up not meshing well though.

Lots of stuff still under consideration...

Mark...

Oh come on, you can use a little "wild west" argument stoppers. You know, 10 paces, turn and burn! :hillbilly:

Ross, better lift the fjc, if you are takin the 40 you can use my snorkel, I gotta make a new one, a little bigger tube;).
Mark, how many gallons of fuel would you est. Would be sufficient for a stockish gen III chevy motor in a 40 on 4.11's, sm420, & 39's ?

I assume an average of 5mpg overall for the gassers during the Trek. Distance covered during the Trek has varied from about 150 to 400 miles.

Trek requirements is at least 36 gallons of onboard fuel for each rig. Logistical support for the Trek is 3-4 55 gallon drums of gas and smaller amounts of diesel.

Mark...

So you're saying that a 100 series with armor all around, lift, 33s and a motivated driver is a no-go? Oh well. I subscribed weeks ago and will enjoy hopefully even more than last year. Can I join you in my Top Cub?

Working on packets now. Should be out this week. Hoping to have an '80 and a '62 available to rent.

We had been leaning toward heading out into the eastern side of the Talkeetnas until it was pointed out that the 4th of July weekend will see a fair amount of people out there. We would be going beyond where most would venture, but it is still an unpleasant intrusion on the Trek.
So it is looking like the 2011 Trek will return to the Alaska Range between Tok and Paxson. Same location as 2010.

Not set in stone yet, but leaning that way a lot stronger now.

I was not happy with the logistics and quality of the support that we...*I*... provided last year. Reviewing that aspect of the Trek and factoring that into location considerations as well.

As to the "100 series with armor...." Make sure that the rear axle is locked, swap aggressive 35x12.50s or equivalent rubber underneath it add a snorkel and decent recover points and she'll meet the requirements. Armor does not matter to me, because... to be honest, it is your rig and your dents/scratches, not mine :) In reality body damage is virtually non-existent during the Treks.

Mark...

body damage is virtually non-existent during the Treks.

Mark...

Just watch out for those flying tow straps!:eek:

Seriously Mark, just stopping in and wanted to wish you a great event in 2011. I was just a passenger for the 2010 event but hope to return some day soon in my own rig. Folks...this s a blast! If there is any way you can make this trip it needs to be on your bucket list!!!:cheers:

So you're saying that a 100 series with armor all around, lift, 33s and a motivated driver is a no-go? Oh well. I subscribed weeks ago and will enjoy hopefully even more than last year. Can I join you in my Top Cub?

The 100 that went last year did a front SAS conversion before going, you might PM him if you are thinking hard about going.
There are some videos of his rig on the Trek around here somewhere, Wow!!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/161962-featured-100-pesimsmd.html#post2270626

That link doesn't have SAS mod, this one does, think he was running 37 ? tires, nope checked post 36".
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/335235-tx-plate-white-sas-11.html#post5310747

Edit:
With SAS was running 6" lift with those 36 tires and still had water over the hood, check this post.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/335235-tx-plate-white-sas-17.html#post5693963

Last edited:
The 100 that went last year did a front SAS conversion before going, you might PM him if you are thinking hard about going.
There are some videos of his rig on the Trek around here somewhere, Wow!!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/161962-featured-100-pesimsmd.html#post2270626

That link doesn't have SAS mod, this one does, think he was running 37 ? tires, nope checked post 36".
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/335235-tx-plate-white-sas-11.html#post5310747

Edit:
With SAS was running 6" lift with those 36 tires and still had water over the hood, check this post.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/335235-tx-plate-white-sas-17.html#post5693963

Well, some people had water over the hood because they were turbo-blasting through the water. Of course, us short folks that are still SUA had water over the hood when we accidentally hit those five foot deep holes while we were trying to follow Mark. :rolleyes:

It's all good. 35s are definitely the minimum especially when you run into ruts!

Make sure that the rear axle is locked, swap aggressive 35x12.50s or equivalent rubber underneath it add a snorkel and decent recover points and she'll meet the requirements. Armor does not matter to me, because... to be honest, it is your rig and your dents/scratches, not mine :) In reality body damage is virtually non-existent during the Treks.

Mark...

So these are the general requirements then? 35s, rear locker, recovery points (winch?), and good waterproofing/ snorkel?

The photos from last year look awesome and I want to start building a rig to get ready for something like this.

Top pictures are a well prepaired, fully packed 80 series with two adults size people in the cab compartment.

You may be underestimating the amount of space that four guys would fill with their gear. Fuel, food/drink/coolers take a bit of space too.

That said... Archie, Luis Sr and Luis Jr did the Trek in a "40 this last time around. They did not drive all the way up (Flew into Anchorage) but the did the trail with three adult males in a '40

The bottom picture is the FJ 40 with a roof rack and 3 adults riding inside.

It really depends on how many dry sock you want to pack and if you think you can fix everything with a Leatherman.

I honestly could not imagine 4 adult size people in an 80 series with 10 days of provisions, trail spares and camping gear.
Alaska Trek 152.jpg
Alaska Trek 154.jpg
Alaska Travel 353.jpg

My dad, myself, and my son all packed into a '60. We didn't have a lot of trail spares and we ate MREs, which are pretty compact food. (We did have beer in the fridge, of course.) We didn't have a roof rack and I can't imagine fitting any more people or stuff inside the '60. We had more than the bare minimum for trail spares and tools BUT we were definitely on the light side as far as preparedness goes in comparison to the rest of the group. I'll bring more spares this next time around. I think I might try to make the voyage with my son and daughter this time. But remember you also want stuff in waterproof containers, which take up more room. I put almost all my stuff in a large waterproof duffel/backpack bag. It was very difficult to get to stuff. This time around, I'm going to get a separate waterproof case for my camera gear. I didn't take nearly enough pictures and that was mainly because most of my camera gear was buried in the bottom of my duffel bag because I didn't want it submerged in water if we stalled during a water crossing. Just food for thought.

:beer: Chad

Okay... terribly late getting this out to everyone, but t information/application packet for the ACT2011 is ready. If you want one, send me your email and I will get it off to you immediately.

Fire off any question you have and I'll answer them too :)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom