Glucosamine treatment for an old warrior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
17 years of trail duty in the outbacks of Arizona, Colorado and Utah, this old FJ40 is a little weary. Always faithful, dependable, never let me down even though it's been rode hard and put away wet many times.

The time has come for a well deserved major spa treatment. The initial motivation for this is a worn out clutch and several frame cracks to repair. I'm not foolish enough to think that it will end at just that though. Already the tear down process is revealing ailments needing attention.

So to share the love, the pics below show the old dog before. Following installments will document the rehab.
P1010011.jpg
P1010014.jpg
P1010013small.jpg

Removal of lots of stuff to start :p
P1010012small.jpg
P1010015small.JPG
P1010018small.jpg

A couple of the frame cracks. Could use any useful tips on making lasting repairs. The top pic is inside, behind the front cross member on the drivers side. Cracking around the rivet probably due to the stress of the old Advanced Handling shackle reversal bracket (big mistake) welded on below it.

The bottom pic shows the same rail in front of the cross member with a crack through the weld of a previous repair attempt. Tough location.
P1010019small.JPG
P1010021small.JPG

Hi All:

Looks like a pretty solid rig to me! :)

Good luck with the re-build!

Regards,

Alan

17 years of trail duty in the outbacks of Arizona, Colorado and Utah, this old FJ40 is a little weary. Always faithful, dependable, never let me down even though it's been rode hard and put away wet many times.

The time has come for a well deserved major spa treatment. The initial motivation for this is a worn out clutch and several frame cracks to repair. I'm not foolish enough to think that it will end at just that though. Already the tear down process is revealing ailments needing attention.

So to share the love, the pics below show the old dog before. Following installments will document the rehab.

Nice Rig. Why was the advanced handling Shackle Reversal I big mistake? I hear mostly positive things about it.

Stock steering or Saginaw? If Saginaw, show us a pic of the box mount?

The cracks may only be a symptom of a larger problem, and more pics of the surrounding area could be very helpful in getting better suggestions.

Best

Mark A.

Nice cruiser. I'll subscribe to see what you do with the frame cracks.

Nice Rig. Why was the advanced handling Shackle Reversal I big mistake? I hear mostly positive things about it.

I'm curious about that also. I have heard good things about this setup.

Two words:
Rock Finders

I'm not saying that a shackle reversal is a mistake. It's the design of the "Advance Handling Kit" that's the problem. At the time I put it on many years ago it was the only option available. The forward sweep of the front spring hanger becomes the 1st thing a tall rock will encounter. Later on Dave Gore & Man-A-Fre came up with a design the sweep back and flips the springs :idea: Better!

My final solution to this will be a spring over to match the rear.

Rock finder and saginaw mtg pic below.
P1010011small.JPG

Last edited:
Stock steering or Saginaw? If Saginaw, show us a pic of the box mount?

The cracks may only be a symptom of a larger problem, and more pics of the surrounding area could be very helpful in getting better suggestions.

Best

Mark A.

Saginaw and the mount is pretty well done.

(edit) Now that I've got a closer look at this area, I don't think the spring mount is causing all the stress. It would seem that the cross member was weakened by the material removed for clearance of the steering shaft yoke. I'm thinking this corner needs some big gussets!

pics below
P10100122small.JPG
P1010016small.JPG
P10100132small.JPG

Last edited:
Similar crack on the passenger side
P10100152small.JPG

My shackle reversal is getting done in the next couple weeks, along with a 4" lift. I am going with the Man-a-Fre kit. I didn't realize that there was a difference in the angle of the bracket.

My shackle reversal is getting done in the next couple weeks, along with a 4" lift. I am going with the Man-a-Fre kit. I didn't realize that there was a difference in the angle of the bracket.

The 4+ stuff from Man A Fre is a quality Dave Gore design. (at least it was last I heard) Should serve you well.

You can see the angle difference from mine below. If you're not going SOA, this is a good way to reverse it.

55-21.jpg

Saginaw and the mount is pretty well done.

(edit) Now that I've got a closer look at this area, I don't think the spring mount is causing all the stress. It would seem that the cross member was weakened by the material removed for clearance of the steering shaft yoke. I'm thinking this corner needs some big gussets!

pics below

There you go! That first pic is worth A THOUSAND WORDS!

The location and mount of the Saginaw box are a serious compromise based on a misguided attempt to keep the end of the steering box outside of the crossmember.

The compromise has cost you in the increased angle of your relay rod to the main steering rod, as well as adding an enormous amount of fulcrum to the framerails by having the steering box further away from the crossmember than need be.

The steering box mounting plate offered by MANY vendors, myself included is designed to butt up DIRECTLY to the driver's side framerail AND the crossmember, and be welded to both. This does not eliminate the lateral stress that causes the cracks you have, but greatly reduces the stress and lengthens the time until they appear for most applications.

It is unfortunate that someone also thought it would be appropriate to cut open the top of your frame channel to insert the tube for the steering box. That complicates [slightly] the idea of relocating your steering box to improve its trajectory [and the lifespan of your frame welds]

I suppose it would be possible to reinforce your frame as-is. But I really think in the long run it is just a patch for a steering box that SHOULD BE MOVED.

Best

Mark A.

I suppose it would be possible to reinforce your frame as-is. But I really think in the long run it is just a patch for a steering box that SHOULD BE MOVED.

Best

Mark A.

Post up a pic showing showing your opinion of a proper box location. :hmm:

Here are a couple of examples from John Smith's rig and 4x4Labs in a direct comparison with how yours is mounted.

I believe what Mark is saying is, basically your Saginaw box is mounted too far in front of your DS frame rail. Also the mounting plate for the box is not welded flush to the crossmember. That 3-4 inches forward does make a difference.
building 030.jpg
P10100122small.JPG
finished2.jpg

I get the concept of keeping it as close as possible to the frame corner. I just like seeing photo examples.
Of those two pics: Having the fluid connections that close to the cross member, how are the hoses routed? On mine the body work doesn't allow much clearance for the hoses. It's always been a point of concern. For the most part I've been satisfied with the way the steering performed over the years. Never any issues even with stock components beyond the pitman arm.

When it was done, I had neither the skills or the tools to do it. That was then. I wouldn't run away from improving the mounting now. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I got more cracks elsewhere under the front fender braces that I'm planning to deal with 1st. That and engine/drivetrain mounting relocation. And the list continues....

This truck is a collection of mods, repairs, improvements and P.O. crime corrections. All done over time as skills and/or funds allowed. Sometimes the skills/funds factor made for compromises. Years of mod-on top of old bad ideas-on top of old repairs have left me with a curious collection stuff. Fortunately it's all worked and not let me down.

Now is the time for the rewind button.

good luck :cheers:

hopefully, you can make it out to the trail with us some day :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom