Water in spark plug hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Bosch plug wires ($144 llife time waranty) don't seat well on the valve cover and water gets into the spark plug hole and shorts it out till it boils off. It is the one that is not covered by the plastic cover. Other than sealant, what works to keep water out. Does OEM,NGK have the same problem? I took the cap off the see if it was leaking too and it was. I sealed the cap and ruber plug that slides on behind the cap too. I would remove the dist housing to extend the weep hole but I don't have a timing light to reset it.
kurt

Kurt,
Put real ones back on. Your problem will cease.

I have the warranty card and it said Bosch will refund the $$$ if it is a defect in materials. Well it is a defect. I guess is should get new wires before I try the parts store first to see if they will refund other wise I have to mail them to Bosch.
kurt

The thing I hate most with after market parts is the surprises you get on installation.

Wait.... I said that a few days ago. :G

-B-

I was in a bind. I pulled the wire to change the spark plug and the wire broke. The Toyota dealers didn't have a replacement. The parts store didn't have a one either. I had to go to the high $ import store to get them.
kurt

THe Bosch wires, DON"T USE THEM, the ruber boot is not glued to the shaft that goes into the valve cover. When you pull them out the boot slips off and you pull on the wire and brake it off.
THe parts store said they will refund my $. whan I get my OEM wires. $144 Bosch $78 for Toyota.
I see that my oil spark plug seal is startiing to leak. I ordered them too.
Now to put a hose on the drain hole in the distributor to make it so water can't get in there.
kurt

Holy thread dredge Batman!

There's an FZJ80 here for a no-start. It had (just before it was towed here) new Toyota plugs and new Toyota wires. The truck is in good cosmetic condition, the weatherstrips at the back of the hood and hood lip are intact. And yet, the back 4 plug wells had clear water in them, so it would pop and try to start on the front 2 cylinders, but wouldn't quite run. IME, this is not normal with good wires.

Has anybody else seen this w/ OEM wires?
Is there a preventive trick that should be done before it goes back together??

Holy thread dredge Batman!

There's an FZJ80 here for a no-start. It had (just before it was towed here) new Toyota plugs and new Toyota wires. The truck is in good cosmetic condition, the weatherstrips at the back of the hood and hood lip are intact. And yet, the back 4 plug wells had clear water in them, so it would pop and try to start on the front 2 cylinders, but wouldn't quite run. IME, this is not normal with good wires.

Has anybody else seen this w/ OEM wires?
Is there a preventive trick that should be done before it goes back together??

Jim, since I know of the vehicle you speak of :) , did you check to see that the spark plug gaskets in the VC are seated correctly around the spark plug tubes on the head?

Besides dielectric, I can't think of any other PM to add to this.

Unless there is something else going on...

Thanks for the input Onur!
The VC gaskets & seals appear to be installed correctly. There is no oil coming out of the VCG or leaking into the tubes. Just clear water.

A thought just occurred to me (ouch). Perhaps the vehicle got rained on one day w/ new plugs in it, then the wires got installed the next day? Or the wires were off for some reason when it rained, then got reinstalled?

A thought just occurred to me (ouch). Perhaps the vehicle got rained on one day w/ new plugs in it, then the wires got installed the next day? Or the wires were off for some reason when it rained, then got reinstalled?

Um...yeah...there was a significant period of time where rain was involved with this engine on installation...

:frown:

IIRC, Mike and I were both in the rain for well over 6 hours working on this thing on install.

Excellent, mystery solved!

Engine, wires and plugs have been drying out all weekend. I will reassemble as normal and see what happens. Will post results later.

Did you get the EWD files from Mike?

If you need specific sections, let me know.

It runs now. :bounce:
Just had to change the engine bay wiring harness (cooked at EGR, broken off at ECT), put the EFI fuse in the right slot, charge the battery, dry out the rain filled plugwells, plug wires, plugs; then install the dissy correctly 180* around. Simple.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom