Wheel backspacing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the backspacing on a FJ60 the same as a later model FJ40?

Is the same backspacing needed??

Yes it is.

3.5 (or so)

3.5" is the call but the bigger issue with aftermarket rims (if this is where you are heading) is the angle of the face of the wheel (?dish?) and the treatment of the surface details (holes, punch outs, etc...).

The factory rims are fairly flat across the face of the wheel and the cutouts have no lip protruding backwards towards the rotors. As such, there is no interference or clearance issues with the brake calipers.

With some aftermarket rims, even if the backspacing is correct, the cutouts may have a lip which combined with a steeper wheel face angle (for lack of a better description) causes the new rim to rub on the brake caliper. You either go with a different rim, grind down the caliper, or run spacers.

If you are thinking black Rock Crawlers from 4Wheel Parts, you may want to look for something else despite the low price as you will need to run 1/4" spacers to address the caliper issue (ask me how I know ;)....). They do look cool though but from the reports of others on this board, there are some brands that offer a similar rim in the correct backspacing without the rubbing issue.

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Well i am looking at some wheels that came off a FJ40 to put on my 60.

BigSur said:
Well i am looking at some wheels that came off a FJ40 to put on my 60.
Then they should work fine.

Bringing back an old thread:)

Will the reverse be true as well? FJ60 wheels having no problem on an FJ40 of any year?

of course not...

same wheel, same backspacing. plus, 60s are disc brake front ends...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom