Smog pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:mad: Anybody have any problems with their smog pump? Any down and dirty trouble shooting? Mine is just starting to make some noise. Belts are fine, hoses are fine, no other indications. A bit of rough idle and a little sluggish acceleration but I am due for new plugs, TB cleaning and fuel system cleaning. Just wanting to find out if there is anything I can do to prolong it. New one is about $400 (IIRC), rebuilt?(MAF? :( $200-300), used about $75-100. Any insight above and beyond the FSM is appreciated. TIA

An OEM pump, 17610-61050, lists for $582.34 and could be had for about 437 bucks. Toyota does not service the internals or a pully as separate parts.
If you choose to go re-man or used, be CERTAIN that you get a pulley or keep your pulley if they want your old pump back. If you can keep your old pump, do so as pieces of it may come in handy later.

D-

************* warning thread hijack************* how essential is the smog pump on a 3fe anyways? I hae wondered what it would do to remove it for those of us lucky enough to not have to mess with emissions laws. any performance gains or drawbacks??
sorry might be silly question.
Dave

Dave,

The main hurdle would be the power steering pump. The tricky bastiges fixed it so that the same belt drives both. Maybe you could rig an on-board air in the air pump spot.

D-

HMMMMMMMM
I like that idea. what kind of pressure does the smog pump produce? time to get out the measuring tape and take a look at this thing. you would think you coudl use a early style gm ac comp and pull it off? a little bracketry work and voila! hmmmmmmm
Dave

yER thinkin' hard there FaVE, :whoops:

I can smell the smoke from here....... ;)

hOW aM I spposed to tipe weny i ma tyinking...
FaeV

FaeV,
Some of your posts remind me of the stereotypical ransom note in the old detective movies.

:D

-B-

Thanks for the replies. And thanks Dan for the pulley tip. Do the OEM newbies come with the pulley. I'll have to go used or reman on this go around $500+ is the better part of my ARB bullbar (gotta have the priorities straight).

The new OEM pumps include a pulley.

D-

I had no idea we had smog pumps! I better go take a look under the hood!

3FE only.

fwiw right next to the alternator on the 3fe. still thinking about the air comp idea. slightly preoccupied as picked up new DD and after a while dedicated trail beater.
Dave

How do you know your smog pump is going bad? Mine is making a slight squealing sound at idle (above 1200rpms no squeal). I'm assuming its a belt/belt tension or maybe a pulley issue.

how essential is the smog pump on a 3fe anyways? I hae wondered what it would do to remove it for those of us lucky enough to not have to mess with emissions laws. any performance gains or drawbacks??

x1,000,000

The main hurdle would be the power steering pump. The tricky bastiges fixed it so that the same belt drives both. Maybe you could rig an on-board air in the air pump spot.

From what I've seen, there is an extra pulley on the crankshaft(?) that is unused on a smog-equipped 3FE, but looks like it would use the same belt as the PS pump...

Clarification, anyone?

is the ps pump on an adjustable bracket? if so, shorter belt, if not, disregard my out loud thinkun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom