need to make a 3/4" hole larger on 1" steel flatbar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, I built my 60 a rear bumper... bought the 3/4" shackles and drilled the 3/4" hole on the 1" flatbar and the hole was too small. Went back to Lowe's, spent ~$25 for a 1" bit tried to make the hole bigger and the bit broke quickly. :mad: Is there a way, hopefully cheaper, to make the diameter bigger?

Thanks in advance,
ML

Be careful, with that big a bit, it can hurt you. I bet you can bring it to a welding shop or a machinist and they would do it for a reasonable price.

Know anyone with a plasma cutter?

How thick is the material?

Magnetic drill with annular cutter.

Be careful, with that big a bit, it can hurt you. I bet you can bring it to a welding shop or a machinist and they would do it for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the warning... I would have to pull the bumper off.

Know anyone with a plasma cutter?

How thick is the material?
I have a fried with a plasma cutter but it won't cut thick metals. the material is 1" thick.

Magnetic drill with annular cutter.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an annular cutter?

Thanks All.

Luis

I did a similar thing. I'm not sure how I got it I think I went really slow with the larger bit and used a lot of cutting compound. Although with mine I had not yet welded the bumper together, so I just had to deal with a piece of 1" flat stock. I don't think I went all the way up to 1" in one shot (or at all).

You might also try a die grinder, although my experience using those to ream holes by hand is that you get a lot of chatter and the end result is not necessarily a round hole.

I think an annular cutter is something like a hole saw--it cuts around the outside diameter of the circle, but not through the middle.

did you think about using a smaller shackle? Good luck. I know this situation sucks.

edit. I've never used one but something like one of these reamers might work, specifically the "construction reamer". They are not cheap, though. Maybe you can find a machine shop with one and they can do it on your truck. http://www.mcmaster.com/#center-reamers/=a5pj2k

Last edited:
I did a similar thing. I'm not sure how I got it I think I went really slow with the larger bit and used a lot of cutting compound. Although with mine I had not yet welded the bumper together, so I just had to deal with a piece of 1" flat stock. I don't think I went all the way up to 1" in one shot (or at all).

You might also try a die grinder, although my experience using those to ream holes by hand is that you get a lot of chatter and the end result is not necessarily a round hole.

I think an annular cutter is something like a hole saw--it cuts around the outside diameter of the circle, but not through the middle.

did you think about using a smaller shackle? Good luck. I know this situation sucks.

edit. I've never used one but something like one of these reamers might work, specifically the "construction reamer". They are not cheap, though. Maybe you can find a machine shop with one and they can do it on your truck. McMaster-Carr

thanks mbb. I googled the anular cutter and now I have an idea of what it looks like. I may just go with slightly smaller shackles or the die grinder.

My next project is the front bumper, just like yours. I printed out the specs from your post ~3 months ago but wanted to finish the rear bumper before starting on the front. So, I may be emailing you for help.
Thanks again.
Luis

When drilling large diameter holes, you want to run the drill chuck at a very low RPM. On my drill press I run it at 350 RPM for big holes. If you run your bit fast, you can heat the material and work harden it, then you are really screwed.

Die grinder is really your only option if you want to enlarge the hole(s) with the bracket already attached to the bumper.

You can drill it larger; just don't go from 3/4 to 1 inch in one bite. Go 13/16, then 7/8, etc. Drill with a slow chuck RPM and use cutting oil.

HF has a Silver and Demming type drill set from 9/16 to 1 inch in 1/16 increments for about $30. It is one of the few things they have that is worth it. I have drilled hundreds of holes with them.

Nat, I was drilling some 3 inch wide 5/16 bar stock and found it was better to use water with my titanium drill bits vs some kind of cutting oil. Is there a reason for that? I can actually "feel" the bit cutting into the metal and nice kerlyque spirals of steel coming up vs bits when using oil. BTW, I did not use cutting oil but just some off the shelf penetrating oil.

Also, can some one vouch for drill doctor?

Drill Doctor makes a pretty nice drill point once you learn how to use it. I have one and use it all the time. Will sharpen a drill bit to a nice split point too. It is a great drill sharpener for the price.

Nick

Nat, I was drilling some 3 inch wide 5/16 bar stock and found it was better to use water with my titanium drill bits vs some kind of cutting oil. Is there a reason for that? I can actually "feel" the bit cutting into the metal and nice kerlyque spirals of steel coming up vs bits when using oil. BTW, I did not use cutting oil but just some off the shelf penetrating oil.

Also, can some one vouch for drill doctor?

Water based cutting fluids are fairly common. Bits like to stay cool. I use rubbing alcohol sometimes when machining aluminum.

Pin Head,

went to HF and bought the drilll bits you suggested... will try again this weekend.

All,
I have not been able to find the cutting oil and have been using motor oil... any objections to this?

I have not been able to find the cutting oil and have been using motor oil... any objections to this?

Much better than Mazola, spit or KY jelly.

You are going to need a half inch drill with a cheater bar on the handle to hold that thing steady enough that it won't get away from you.

You're only trying to enlarge the hole enough to fit the pin from the shackle, right?

I would take my black&decker rotorary tool (like a dremel, but more robust and longer lasting) with a sanding drum and slowly and evenly enlarge the hole.

My 2 cents.

Pin Head,

All,

You can get cutting oil from a plumbing supply house. Ask for heavy threading oil (same stuff they use while cutting threads on pipe). Smells nasty but works great for what you're doing.

Nick

Hello All,

I went to HB and bought the bits that Pinhead suggested. That did the trick! Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

Luis (aka meatloaf)

Good to see that it worked out. My suggestion would have beeen to try a step drill as it should basically center itself as it reams each progressive hole size bigger. I would imagine the material is thicker than the steps on the drill bit so you would either have to access the hole frim the far side as well, or finish it off with either a regular bit of the correct size or a die grinder using the correctly sized step as a guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom