What would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nothing you have planned will be cheap ,almost every upgrade requires an upgrade drive it like it is and have fun .locker and a good winch would be a good start ,after you have a good chunk of change then go with other mods.good luck

why not just run it as it is :confused: at least for a while

wheel it some and learn what it can do, then you have a much better appreciation of what you really need :steer:

I have been wheeling it for three yrs, on and off the road. The road it is about perfect, except for the comfort of padded seats, off-road I hit obstacles with the front shackles with about all approach angles.

nothing you have planned will be cheap ,almost every upgrade requires an upgrade drive it like it is and have fun .locker and a good winch would be a good start ,after you have a good chunk of change then go with other mods.good luck
Have a Bellevue winch as shown in the pics, after some cage mods and better seats, a locker will be next.

I really appreciate all the input as there is no one around here that could ask these questions to and get solid answers from. Thanks.

, off-road I hit obstacles with the front shackles with about all approach angles.

those shackles look longer than stock to me

what lift is on it ?

what tire pressure are you wheeling it at ?

For a lot of things it seems like you can do it fast or do it cheap, but not both. Since you don't have a lot of money to spend, by default you have lots of time. Some of the mods that can help a lot can be had cheaply if you have the time to find the good deals. Might be a set of FJ60 springs for the rear SOA, set of used seats that someone didn't use. Maybe some brackets and tabs ordered a little bit at a time. Hydro assist is pretty handy and can be done cheaply if you can do the labor yourself. If there is someone nearby with a welder it will make things easier. Find someone in the area with a tubing bender maybe you can borrow or rent. The biggest expense then will be raw materials, goes a lot further if you don't have to pay labor. Plan stuff out so you only have to pay for it once and you will be ahead of the game.

After reading this and checking on the funds, I'll be doing some tube work (tube doors, front guard/stinger, rock sliders) , creating a belly plate(skid plate), and adding a stereo this winter. $$$ permitting I'll also add a rear locker. I really appreciate all the feed back and if anyone has a drawing or ideas for a skid plate/tube doors/front guard/rock sliders please post them. Also any input on which rear locker I should go with? Remember limited cash. Thanks.

pic of my tube doors

justweldit made them for me
tube door.jpg

The shackles are from the PO,
tire pressure is usually at 8-10 lbs when off road,
Lift is the shackles from what I can see.

Last time I ran 10 psi I dented a rim when I bounced a bit on a rocky trail. I'd recommend 10-12 psi unless you're on sand or snow. It wa a bugger when decending a steep grade when I heard the rim grating against a rock:crybaby:.

Fortunately, I had onboard air so I didn't have to change the tire on the low side of the truck while also on a steep grade. I was able to lift the truck, with my high lift, to reseat the bead using the compressed air and then drive to level ground.

High lift $50-100
Onboard air $200

Safety, priceless :D

Really like those tube doors, thanks for sharing DSRTRDR. Bikersmurf thanks for the link to the cheap mods found some nice inexpensive ones to do. Exams are here next week and then it's time to work on the FJ. I'll post up the mods I do, thanks again to everyone for their input.

Alright I am, have been thinking of what my FJ40 wants to be, or what I want it to be. It is a 1972 with a rear SR, front disc brakes, power steering, SBC, and sits on 33" A/Ts. First the facts, I have little cash to spend. What would you do, eventually I want 37" tires, SOA, a different roll bar that would include seat mounts. Really just looking for what would be smart and inexpensive to do at this time. I want it to be a 50/50, 50% on the road, 50% off the road. Please explain the pros and cons of the mod. Thanks.

:idea:

why not just run it as it is :confused: at least for a while

wheel it some and learn what it can do, then you have a much better appreciation of what you really need :steer:

I agree. Just run it as-is, don't get suckered into thinking it's not good enough until it's been modded.

Semi on-topic, this is my first time seriously browsing the 40-series board since I went to the Dark Side, and I have to ask: Why does everybody hate the F series motors these days? I'd take a strong 2F over anything Chebby any day.

800-1K

"smart and inexpensive to do at this time"

these sentiments are incompatible with building a 40, first and foremost ----get your checkbook out:lol:

But seriously

SOA and 37s might be best tackled together--Im thinking this is well over your budget right now since just the tires will be a grand and wear out the ones you have first

The roll bar with seat mount and some bar mounted quality seat belts would make it look good, be practical from a safety perspective, and be close to your budget
The roll bar and install would probably eat the 1k

better to do one thing you really want and do it well than compromise on many things. ;)

rear discs are doable if you have leftover $---Poser has a good kit for that and not too spendy

A locker maybe

For the SOA ---research, buy parts one at a time, make any contacts needed for welding etc and drop the hammer when all is lined up

always count on extra costs popping up when you least expect it

maybe the smartest thing of all is banking it in case something blows like a gearbox or engine:cheers:

BTW --pretty nice rig as is!

"smart and inexpensive to do at this time"

SOA and 37s might be best tackled together--Im thinking this is well over your budget right now since just the tires will be a grand and wear out the ones you have first

The roll bar with seat mount and some bar mounted quality seat belts would make it look good, be practical from a safety perspective, and be close to your budget

maybe the smartest thing of all is banking it in case something blows like a gearbox or engine:cheers:

BTW --pretty nice rig as is!

First, thank you for the comment on the rig:cheers:, second I will be waiting for the 33s to wear out before 37s are purchased and there will be a wait on the SOA until I have the cash or will slowly buy the parts as suggested. I have been thinking:idea: it over and will be going for safety first, for sure. The tubing I purchased will allow for some armor and tube doors, place to mount the seats I purchased as well as a place to mount the harness when it is purchased. The safety harness will be purchased next. I know I cannot afford to do the bigger mods I want right now, but I would like to start with some of the inexpensive ones. Thanks for the advice, and about the F series motor, I would be fine if it was still in there, it was the PO decision to put the SBC in it. I am fine with that as well, it moves... and has the get up and go with just the slightest press on the gas.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see it stated, what transmission is behind the SBC? Being a 72 FJ40, if you still have the stock 3spd, I would look for an sm420 and adapter plate.

Yes I have the three speed.

I like the speed it crawls at in 1st low.

Guessing you might think different when you go to 37's, your stated long term goal. The sm420 should be a comparably cost effective way to get low gearing.
But if you're happy with the 3spd and 33's for where you take it, keep on enjoying the truck as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom