Weird cruise control problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This started last summer IIRC. I'd be driving on the highway and the CC would kick out unexpectedly. Searching, I came to the conclusion there was a problem with my actuator. As moving and/or lubing the cable didn't improve my problem, I set about to rebuild the actuator following a link I found here somewhere. Completing the rebuild, the problem persisted.

The problem had no rhyme or reason. Sometimes the CC would hold for a few minutes, sometimes for a few seconds. Totally random. As the camping season wound down, I didn't care much about the issue as we were mostly doing local driving.

However, for Thanksgiving we had plans to drive to visit family in western Missouri (~1,900) roundtrip with all but a couple hundred on I-70. CC was a must! I ordered a used actuator off ebay for $40, and tested it around the neighborhood, and all seemed good.

However, as soon as we hit CO-82 on the way out of town, the CC started its same old crap!:mad:

Unwilling to accept the fact that I would be driving in a straight line for 1,000 miles without being able to relax my right leg, I figured I had plenty of time to find some pattern to this madness.

Well, I can't remember where I was. I believe it was somehwere around the Colorado/Kansas border around 10pm two nights before Thanksgiving, I got my answer...

....the friggin' blinker! Doing a steady 5-7MPH over the speed limit requires quite a bit of lane changing. As I religiously and without conscious thought use my blinkers, I hadn't noticed the obvious. As soon as I touch that turn indicator left or right, INSTANTLY, out goes the CC.

Fortunately, I had well over 1,00 miles left to work on retraining my brain to not use the blinkers for changin lanes in Kansas where no one was around anyways. Rest assured, I still forgot after ever gas or potty brake as I have the mental retention of a poorly trained chimpanzee.

I assume there is some small short somewhere in that terrible steering wheel column gadgetry. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I need to get in there anyhow to fix a squeak that search has told me must be due to my horn.

Anyways, I thought this might help someone sometime, or at least provide a decent laugh at my expense...:meh:

:cheers:\
Nick

Do you have LED taillights?

I am experiencing the same problem as yours. Sometimes Cruise Control (CC) can work for 300miles sometimes only for a few seconds. After my last major trip 4500 miles in Labrador and Newfoundland:bang::bang::bang::bang: I thought I will lose complete feeling of my right foot after driving most of the distance with speed around 45mph. I am not sure that you got a short somewhere in steering wheel gadgetry. I haven’t looked deeply into the problem yet, but I have noticed few strange things. I am more than sure that this is an electrical problem. I noticed that blinkers, Fan speed, sometimes radio and acceleration can affect CC and it will kick out. However, as soon as you restart the engine the CC will start working again for unknown period of time. Also sometimes it can start working again after you turn off CC for a long period without shutting off your engine. The strangest thing I experienced with CC was when I set CC with my Fan working at low speed and as soon as I change my Fan speed from low to med or high it will kick out, but when I change Fan back to low it will start working again. I think it may be a problem somewhere with ground or with corroded connector and gives wrong reading of Volts or Ohms to the CC when you turn on or off electric accessories. I will try to look in to CC wiring during the Christmas Break and see what can cause this problem.:bang:

Anyways, I thought this might help someone sometime, or at least provide a decent laugh at my expense...:meh:

I always cry when my CC stop working and it is only one disappointment i have in my LC, but what you expect from 15 years old truck... Still love TLC

Do you have LED taillights?
What's up with Led Taillights?

:cheers:

i had same problem. was caused by salt corrosion in the trailer wire harness underneath, near the spare. resolved via removal and replacement with the Hoppy harness that connects inside the side panels. good luck:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom