1hd-ft ticking noise.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On a 1HD-FT Has anyone heard of , or experianced an ticking sound on the right lower side of the engine.. it sounds like a coin hitting light metal.. it is irratic, and only starts once the engine is warm.. it is mostly hear in the right front wheel well, and is not consistance as a exhaust leak, and is not a knocking like a conrod. i have changed oils a few times to see if it would quiet down, but nothing.. engine runs great.. no smoke. plenty of power. the engine has 115,000 km

it is an auto transmission and when i shift to drive and put a load on the engine.. the noise goes away. Also as i increase the RPM fomr idle the speed of the ticks increases till about 2,000RPM where it goes away.

the ticking is irratic such as Tick Tick.. pause. Tick pause.. Tick Tick Tick Tick pause etc.

Anyhow know if i should worry?? or how i can fix it?

thanks josh

Seems to be a common feature. Sounds exactly like mine.
Starts to tick once it warms up a bit.

I've got it too mate, seems to be a common trait with them. Wouldn't worry about it all, just drive it! :steer:

they all do it. there are pages on uk forums of "whats that ticking noise?".

know one seems to know what causes the ticking or how to cure it.

I have this too on my 1HDT.. All of the seem to have it and no one knows for sure where it is coming from. Learn to live with it, drive it and enjoy..

Same for me on a 160mkm 1HDFT, from 650 to 1000 rpm, with no gear engaged, an irregular click on the right, only when hot, can't find the origin of this noise, I hope it's not a rod problem...

Mine does it as well. Only seems to be after new oil & filter though.

Quietens downs after a couple of weeks & then stops until next oil change.

It was scary at first, I ignore it now though.

Fuel pump or injector solenoids?

1hd-ft ticking sound

I have that anoying tick also.. have changed oil.. filters.. and was going to tear the bottom end apart, but a experienced shop told me to forget it.. i would never find it.. drives me crazy though

What fuel do you run? I've had this 'problem' (not really a problem) running certain brands of fuel. I only ever run Shell in it now, and haven't heard it since. Makes me think it's in the pump, but some have suggested (including toyota) that it's the crankshaft flexing.

i will try a few different fuels.. i am located in Kenya so who knows what is in our fuel.. water, kerosene, etc... i am going to start rotating thru fuels, oils, and filters.. and see what happens. It seems to go away every time i take it to a mechanic... hmmmm

tick tick tick....tick tick

anyone think the ticking might me the flex plate? this is my first Auto in a toyota so i am not so familiar with it.. maybe a crack or loose bolt?

I think it's a clearance issue, when the oils clean & new it ticks, as soon as it starts to soot up (after 3 or 4 weeks) it stops on mine.
I've recently done the valve clearances, cleaned the inlet manifold out, had the FIP checked.
I've got an oil & filter change due soon, I'll report back if it does or doesn't tick this time.

Changed my oil to Amsoil diesel 5-30, now it ticks right from cold. Previously was running Delo 400 15-40 and it took some warming up before the ticky..tic.. tac would start.
So it does seem oil viscosity related or affected. So I tend to not think it's injector or pump related.
It definitely is not flex plate related.. Mine tics and it's a 5speed.

gather around children i will tell you about the
1hdft...
the fuel pump is constantly starved of fuel as 80 series only ran 3/8 fuel lines on the later 100 series 1hdfte they ran 1/2 fuel lines so to shut up that noisy as fxxx fuel pump you have to run a small pusher pump from the tank, or in the engine bay and the sound goes away :D 100 series also have insulation around the pump

Mudstorm, its not the pump mate. It goes away when your oil starts to work properly and collect s***e. By the time a serivce is due the sound is gone and instantly when you re-fill its back. The noise is on the right side of vehicle and toward rear of engine, not audible from the left side where pump is located.

The pump has a completely different noise, which is reduced by using 2-stroke in your diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom