Shifting into 4 wheel drive (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok there are some basic questions?

1. Is 4 high independent from 4 low, or could 4 low work being that it is mechanical and 4 high not work if the solenoid was out?

2. I don't think my 4 wheel drive is engaging (read about the solenoid going out).

Oh I think my cruiser wasn't starting do to the cold now it is starting fine. Thanks for all of the advice.

1989 FJ 62

2wd-4wd is a different shift mechanism than high-Neutral-low in the transfer case. When you shift the trasnfer lever into low, the transfer case should automatically shift into 4wd regardless whether the button on the dash is pushed or not. It could be that one of your solenoids that actuates the vacuum shift for 2wd-4wd is not working. There are several threads on how to trouble shoot this.

Why don't you think that 4wd is engaging? Does the 4wd light come on? Have you locked your front hubs?

One way to check if 42d is engaging is to crawl under the truck and try and turn the front drive shaft by hand. The front hubs should be unlocked (free) for this test. In 2wd, the front drive shaft should turn. In 4wd, the front drive shaft should lock up and not turn after about 1/2 rotation. The engine might have to be running to conduct this test in order to generate the necessary vacuum. Be sure to have the transmission in Park and chock the wheels so the truck doesn't roll.

Thanks for the advice.
I took it in and the mechanic said the problem was in the transfer case. So looks like I will have to rebuild do you have recommendations on rebuild kits. I have looked at Cruiser Outfitters, Cruiser Parts, Man-A-Fre, and SOR. I don't think it is necessary to replace the entire transfer case? While I am at it I want to do this mod https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...transfer-vacuum-valve-conversion-writeup.html

Overall the cruiser has handle the snow pretty well in two wheel drive I just can't park on steep icy hills.

generally, I think, when the selenoid goes out it stays in 4wd.

Are your hubs locked?

I would get a second opinion on the transfer case. If there is a club close by or another mud member close by, I'd ask them for assistance.

unless the transfer case has been apart, or making obvious noises, it should work.
Is this rig new to you?

I locked the hubs and they do work.

I live near Kalispell Montana.

So I lifted the hood and one of the hoses to the solenoid is off so probably should hook that up first and see what happens. I don't hear anything unusual. When I took it in today they did say it was not the original case.

I have had the rig since February but this is the first time I have had to put it into 4 wheel drive.

x2 on the second opinion. If it does not go into 4wd either by pushing the button, or by shifting into 4-low, the first thing to check is the vacuum solenoids. Next, I think would be the vacuum actuator mounted on the front of the transfer case. Last for me would be to actually rebuild the transfer case.

Ok here is my plan of attack.

1. Plug in the loose hose on the transfer case.
2. If that doesn't work the check the solenoid. If that has to be replaced do the manual conversion.
3. If it still doesn't work then check the case.

not to make this too simple... the button on the dash should switch the solenoid... the lever does one function, it moves the gears form hi range to low range and thats it. if your not getting 4wd from the switch... it is either the solenoid, or the vac part of the system. I would try switching the vac hoses on the ports of the transfercase assuming they have vac. (remember the truck need to be running to produce the vac) if that doesnt work.. I would start with the diaphram... it's the big round thing in the front of the case. try that first. hope this helps.

I live near Kalispell Montana.

When I took it in today they did say it was not the original case.

there are several guys in that part of the state, I'm thinking of atleast one who could probably help diagnose it. or if your coming this way I could help.

unless that is the shop that worked on it in the past, how do they know it's not the original case?????

a few pics might help also.

Don't forget to check in at the clubhouse section, we have a sub section for MT,
Big Sky cruisers.

Last edited:
Post up a pic of your transfer case, and we can tell you if it is not original. The 4 wheel drive is engaged by the same mechanism regardless of whether the transfer case is in Hi or Lo. The difference is this: When you shift it into 4 Lo, a switch in the transfer case detects this and engages the 4X4 VSVs on the firewall without you pushing the button on the dash. When you shift back into 2 Hi, the switch changes state and the VSVs switch vacuum to the the transfer case, and if everything works the way it should, you will be back in 2 wheel drive. To get 4 Hi, you simply push the dash button when the transfer case is in the 2 Hi position. 2mbb tells you how to tell if your transfer case is engaging the front axle. Of course, the hubs must be turned in to actually get motive force to the front wheels.

In my case, my VSVs were bad and the transfer case was not engaging the front axle. I used some VSVs out of a 93 4Runner and they worked perfect:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/384328-4wd-vsv-4runner-fix.html

I also disconnected the switch from the transfer case so that it doesn't engage the front axle when I shift to 4 Lo. I use the dash button to engage the front axle in 2 Hi and 4 Lo.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...ock-transfer-case-easy-mod-2.html#post4900694

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing some stuff up. So if the solenoid it out then neither 4 hi or 4 lo will not work. Like I said I popped my hood hand found one of the hose was unplugged so I need to hook that up first to see if anything is different.

Went outside and plugged in the unplugged hose, the lower connection was unplugged. When it was plugged in the 4wheel drive light came on. Push the 4 high button on and off but the light just stayed on. Switched the hoses around and the light wouldn't light up no matter what potion the button was in. Also it didn't feel right when I was driving.

When it was hooked up and the light went on I couldn't tell if it was in 4 wheel drive. Is there something I should feel or hear for? What would a messed up transfer case sound like?

Keep in mind I did take it to tire rama so maybe I should take it to a Toyota Mechanic for a second opinion. They said it was a replacement transfer case because of the yellow writing on it, saying it came from a salvage yard.

Sounds like one of your VSVs is bad--this is a common problem. Replace them with ones from a 4Runner out of a wrecking yard for next to free. 2mbb tells you in post #2 how to tell if the transfer case is in four wheel drive or not. Don't take it to any mechanic until you replace the 2 VSVs. You should never really hear your transfer case unless you are trying to shift it out of neutral with the transmission also not in Park. Then you will hear grinding gears and will have to shut of the engine before you can either get the transmission in Park or the transfer case in gear. Really, replace the VSVs before you do anything else.

I don't hear any mechanical grinding so that is why I am suspicious of it being the transfer case. I will replace the VSV first looks like and easier fix.

Made some progress.

1. Got a second opinion and vehicle went into 4 wheel drive so it isn't the transfer case.
2. My vsv must be out when I plugged in both hoses the light stays no matter what position the 4 hi button is in.

So I need to replace my vsv but I would like to do this mod https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...transfer-vacuum-valve-conversion-writeup.html

Does any one know where I can buy the Norgren switch or what type of store I would call.

Thank you for you assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom