Christmas Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there!
Been off the grid for awhile...
Still have my '91 TLC, all stock, runs like a champ!
Wondering when the Christmas tree run was being scheduled. My friend just purchased a 90's LR Discovery...Got to take him and his familia out! They want to go into the wilderness and do some tree clearing! lol. Amazing how a vehicle can make you want to be in the outdoors.
Hope everyone is doing well!:beer:
Tim

Hello there!
Been off the grid for awhile...
Still have my '91 TLC, all stock, runs like a champ!
Wondering when the Christmas tree run was being scheduled. My friend just purchased a 90's LR Discovery...Got to take him and his familia out! They want to go into the wilderness and do some tree clearing! lol. Amazing how a vehicle can make you want to be in the outdoors.
Hope everyone is doing well!:beer:
Tim

we will discuss it this meeting tonight. just FYI, we have bad luck/history with land rovers on the tree run...:lol:
ask anyone that was here then about it. it's quite the story. :D

Thank you for the reply.
OK...who's gonna give me the low-down on that story. I will keep my friend updated. hehehe

...Let's just say it started the trip as a really nice disco.:eek:

and ended with a ripped tire, missing rear diff plug, dented passenger door, bush guard pushed back almost into the grill and a nonfunctioning rear airbag system...:eek::eek:

and the 100% stock '98 4runner that was along, didn't even have brush scratches.

date set

oh, and per the meeting minutes thread, the date has been set for Saturday, December 4th. we will stop at the Walatowa Visitor Center for anyone that wants a tree to get a permit. you don't have to be getting a tree to come along on the run.

this is traditionally a big run for us, as people come out of the woodwork that have never been on a run or have very limited 4x4 experience in the snow. we will help and include everyone, but be prepared that accidents and damage to your vehicle can happen. nobody will be left behind, and if necessary, we will do a recovery run on Sunday to get a vehicle that is too stuck or broken down, out. we have never left a truck more than overnight on a tree run. some years go without a hitch, and a few years have been "adventurous" to say the least. we have had very little vehicle damage on these runs, but the Land Rover story that is coming out above in this thread, has become our (almost) worst case scenario story. there is another story that rivals it from a different (more recent)year. so just be prepared with extra food and water, warm clothes, sleeping bags, etc., as a minimum. also, many of these runs have been very long. some years we are home by dark, some years it's 2am. tell loved ones staying home not to panic and check this thread into the next day for details if you are not home.

however, it is always a very fun run, so please don't be scared away by all this talk, just be prepared. much more of these suggestions will be added here I'm sure, so fire away.

... and if necessary, we will do a recovery run on Sunday to get a vehicle that is too stuck or broken down, out. we have never left a truck more than overnight on a tree run. ... and a few years have been "adventurous" to say the least. There is another story that rivals it from a different (more recent)year.

It was on this second event that we realized how important communication is. Many of us, because of this event, have gone to ham radio, but a CB will do just fine. But, you must have one in order to keep communication with the rest of the group. If you don't have a radio, and don't want to make the investment yet, just speak up. We have plenty of loaner radios available.

In.

Just got back from the Jemez myself today. There are tons of "Road Closed" signs every where including lots off of FR 396. Took some pretty challenging roads up FR 488. Nice rocks, mud pits, etc.

I picked up 2 huge bags of trash just from tooling around the trails today. No wonder they close trails.

How early does this run start? Sounds like fun for us Toyota's; i can't imagine what would happen if someone brought a jeep!

Actually, I would feel more comfortable with a Jeep along. New Mexico 4 Wheelers do a tree run about the same time.

It was on this second event that we realized how important communication is. Many of us, because of this event, have gone to ham radio, but a CB will do just fine. But, you must have one in order to keep communication with the rest of the group. If you don't have a radio, and don't want to make the investment yet, just speak up. We have plenty of loaner radios available.

What about hand held radios? Are they good enough for this run?

FRS/GMRS? No, we tried those and they did not work well. Handheld CB does fine, and it's what I loan out.

Several of us with dual band amateur radios can communicate with the FSR/GMSR radios but as Jon mentions, they don't work well. We usually have a few HTs and CBs for loaners.

We don't require everyone to have a radio but we STRONGLY recommend it; especially if a vehicle leaves the main group for any reason.

-Mike-

tree run

Wish I could go, sound like fun. I have other commitments for Saturday morning, :cheers:

Actually, I would feel more comfortable with a Jeep along. New Mexico 4 Wheelers do a tree run about the same time.

Glad you feel OK about jeeps. I have a few friends with jeeps, but I wanted a Toyota.

I am not for sure yet, but I would like to make this run. Even if I don't make it, I have a CB and chainsaw if anyone in the group needs to borrow them. Just let me know.

I would like to join you guys for this run. I should have the vehicross running again sometime next week (althought that's probably too optimistic) and I love wheelin' in the snow.

Hey Boicruiser, Lopez, Opel, Sadbery. R.Srad would like to join if its cool.
Thats if we can hang with you guys.

I guess you guys are cool enough.:flipoff2:

get on it! is Opel bringing a mog? we can all camp out in the new one if we all get stuck and have to spend the night.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom