Speaker Survey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, progress has been much slower than expected on my stereo upgrade. I did install the JVC KW-XR810 head unit and expected to already have my speakers switched out but haven't been able to get to it.

On top of that I was set on the Polk db6501's for the front and Polk db651's for the back only to find out that the db651's won't fit in the back (too deep). So Polk has a shallow version (db651s) but reviews seem to indicate they the high's are pretty sharp and, as expected, the bass is lacking.

I do plan to add an amp and a sub later -- but it will probably be much later, so I want to be satisfied with the 6 1/2's I buy today till I get there.

In light of that, I am reevaluating my speaker choice and figure I'd survey the board for recommendations on front and rear door speakers. Please chime in. Thanks!

My opinion on stereo sound is that it is very subjective and before I purchase any new speakers of any type, I would want to hear them for myself. I am not familiar with these specific speakers, but if it is at all possible, I would get first hand experience with them before purchasing.

Just my two cents worth...

I put MB Quart components in the front, and the Polk 651s's in the rear. I only have one of the rears done (hope to finish this weekend), but it sounds much better to me so far. Also have the same head unit as you. The whole system sounds much cleaner, especially at somewhat higher volume. I'm very happy so far. I also put a lot of sound dampener in all the doors. I think that helps too. It seems quieter in the cabin with less road noise transferring through the doors.

I put Kicker mids all around and 1 10" kicker sub in the back... I'm not looking to win any bass off sound competitions or be that guy at the stop light trying to make everyone look... I've always liked kicker stuff and i've had these in for years and they still sound great...

MB Quartz x 6 + 8" JL Audio sub.

I recommend stock head unit, stock speakers, blown stock sub, and iPhone with tape adapter. It's so bloody muffled and terrible sounding I have to crank it to hear, which is a good excuse for why it's so loud when the baby's screaming in the back.

6 hours yesterday with screaming baby. Anyone have any luck putting a limo-type separator window in the hundy?

I recommend stock head unit, stock speakers, blown stock sub, and iPhone with tape adapter. It's so bloody muffled and terrible sounding I have to crank it to hear, which is a good excuse for why it's so loud when the baby's screaming in the back.

6 hours yesterday with screaming baby. Anyone have any luck putting a limo-type separator window in the hundy?

WOW, we have the same audio system, sans the iPhone.

As for your back seat high decible mid-range ampliphier, I feel your pain, as our #2 did this EVERY time we got into the car for the first 2 YEARS of his life. So, those 4 hour trips to my mom's house was absolute torture. Glad we did not agree to the leaving him in the middle of the Mojave desert, as he has become our best of 4.

I recently installed Alpine Type-S in all 4 doors (components in front, coaxial in back). For the dollars, they sound pretty good. I also installed Kenwood DDX616 head unit, and retained the stock -ahem- woofer. Everything going through stock amp. So far I am happy enough to roll with it, but I could use a little more bass... currently weighing between a bazooka, infinity basslink or building a box for Alpine Type E.

I don't think Alpine is as 'audiophile' as Polk. I do think it's cheaper, and readily available at big box stores. I have some entry-level audiophile equipment at home and I do love to use it as such, but I just don't need that level of performance in the truck.

BKGEE- does your head unit fit flush with the rest of the dash? Also, does the power antenna retract when you switch sources to iPod, etc?

The head unit sticks out about 1cm from dash. it does not look bad at all, does not bother me anyway. i'm happy to say that the antennae does retract when unit is powered down, or when source is switched from radio to ipod. overall i am extremely pleased with the head with one exception: the bluetooth connection should be always automatic... well, sometimes it connects and sometime it doesn't in which case i must go to BT settings on phone and select the head unit to connect (don't have to re-pair, it maintains the pairing). I need to update the BT firmware on the head unit, i hope that will fix the problem. otherwise i live with it. one last nit, unit takes about 20 seconds to boot up. so not even radio signal for 20s. if i can fix the BT connction issue, i am happy enough to by another identical head for my wifes forester :)

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming!

spressmon, "mb quart x 6" -- did you replace the two small subs with two-ways also?

I put a Sony DVD head unit in my Lexus...wired to existing amp and speakers. Next year will replace amp....and also want to replace speakers in stock locations including tweeters. I think I read on a thread there is an amp and also a sub that will allow me to use stock locations. I dont need mega thump...just enough to hear.

Right now current setup sounds pretty good but speakers are next keeping stock amp and sub to see how it progresses.

Writeup about head unit and fascia piece surrounding it in my build thread

Interesting thread....going to be doing this soon as well.

I like the idea of MB Quart like spresso has....but the grand question is now that MB Quart are owned by a new owner are they still of high quality?

Amazon has the following prices....incredible compared to crutchfield:)

Polk Audio DB651S $59
Polk Audio DB6501 $192
MB Quart PVI216 $133
Infinity 609CS $123

I redid the whole system with an Eclipse AVN series Nav head unit with a powerful Eclipse amp under the seat for the Kenwood Excelon 6.5" and component tweeters. I have yet to build the custom sub enclosure I was going to work out in the factory position for the two 8" MB Quart subs in the back, but I currently have them in a nice and tight small box in the back facing the rear. The box is powered by an MTX single channel out sub amp. When watching movies, the sound is incredible. For music, it's clean and punchy. It took me two full weekends to do the install.

I can't believe that place is still in business. Sucker born every minute. :)

Dennis, Crutchfield doesn't have the best prices, but do other places include all of the crap you need to install the HU in your car like Crutch does?

I've never ordered from them personally, I'm just

1. Not an audiophile by any means, but I do like my tunes to sound good.

and

2. I haven't the foggiest idea how to install most of this stuff.

The only reason Crutchfield is appealing is that they include all of the stuff you need...despite their prices being higher.

I redid the whole system with an Eclipse AVN series Nav head unit with a powerful Eclipse amp under the seat for the Kenwood Excelon 6.5" and component tweeters. I have yet to build the custom sub enclosure I was going to work out in the factory position for the two 8" MB Quart subs in the back, but I currently have them in a nice and tight small box in the back facing the rear. The box is powered by an MTX single channel out sub amp. When watching movies, the sound is incredible. For music, it's clean and punchy. It took me two full weekends to do the install.

That's a sweet setup. I almost purchased an Eclipse and love the sound quality of their units.

As far as speakers go, surprised no one mentioned Focal speakers yet, although they may not have a pair that fits the enclosure...

Dennis, Crutchfield doesn't have the best prices, but do other places include all of the crap you need to install the HU in your car like Crutch does?

I've never ordered from them personally, I'm just

1. Not an audiophile by any means, but I do like my tunes to sound good.

and

2. I haven't the foggiest idea how to install most of this stuff.

The only reason Crutchfield is appealing is that they include all of the stuff you need...despite their prices being higher.

Ya, you can get all of that stuff through Sonic, just without the BS. I tried to buy some clearance high-end speakers for home from them once. I placed the order online. They wouldn't process the order until I called them, which completely defeats the ease of ordering online but whatever. Then when I called, they tried hard to upsell me into other stuff I didn't want need so badly that I cancelled the order right then on the phone. Yes, I have a bit of an axe to grind with Bill Crutchfield and Co. :mad:

As far as the value of help and guidance, IMNSHO like anything else the value is in a good independent shop, not a high $ online place.

Stepping off soap box now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom