Well boys and Girls, you're stuck with me now. Question on H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be the proud new owner of Ingrid and i have a question.

it is a 83 and i want to put a 5 speed in it. I've read that pre 85's take much more modifications than post 85 60s, but i also read that if you buy a H55 Tranny plus transfer case as a whole you will only need to modify the driveshafts.

is this correct? If so i think id rather pull my tranny/tran and replace with a new 5pseed tranny/tran ...

will i have to modifiy anything else besides the driveshafts if i do so??

SOR shows the crossmember is different starting 11/84. I think it's further back on the transmission.

Aw hell.

there goes the neighborhood:flipoff2:

also, dude, tranny is not the prefered nomenclature, transmission please

Srsly, there are differneces between the pre/post 85's in terms of the transmission/tc/DS configuration but i dont know exactly what they are.

try doing a search on "H55 swap" and variants or maybee if nobody know who you are they will post up and help you.

Didnt you have a 60 a long time ago...like when Mud first started?

swamp60

i changed a 4 spd to a 5 spd, 4 hours, leave the bell housing on the engine. everything bolts up. get the drive shafts too then you wont need customize anything. i have some spares. and a tranny too!

just make sure the tranny comes from a 60 not a 40 series, diesel too!

poop, you guys are probably taking about gas 2f to 5 speed? well then i dont really know what im talking about.

but the 5 speed is 30% slower in first and 20% faster in 5th

I swapped my old H55F into a friends '83. He retained his bellhousing (which results in better clearance anyway since the later, 3F bellhousing that came with the H55 roatated everything towards the passenger side and made the T-case hang down) and his stock crossmember. If you keep your T-case, you will need to investigate the oiler thing, you'll find that if you do a search. You will need to do the drivelines and shift linkage will need some eye-balling to make sure it will still do the job, but I have not heard of any problems there.

quick hi-jack

Here's an old picture of your new 60. ;)
P3251473.jpg

Nice...that is an awesome picture...

When was it taken?

If you keep the existing transmission mount you will run the DS into it. You need to space it back on the frame to accommodate the tcase being further back.

Yes, that is correct... drive lines only if you get the tranny/TC set up as whole....
Clean swap..
Congrats on getting Ingrid... that's one sweet ride !!!

That pic above kicks ass !!!

If you keep the existing transmission mount you will run the DS into it. You need to space it back on the frame to accommodate the tcase being further back.

When I did this, we did not have that problem when using the double cardon and the early crossmember. The vehicle is SUA with OME springs. It was VERY close, but some work with a BFH would increase the clearance enough without moving the entire crossmember. SOA is a different story entirely.

Fun stuff

Nice...that is an awesome picture...

When was it taken?

This was taken in 2007 at a Landcruiser show and shine rally we at Rising Sun put on at Boulder Toyota with the release of the FJC. I'm the 60 on the right, Ige's old 60 (ingrid) in the middle and I believe it's Nakman's 80 with the mot-style Toyota fogs just to the left of Ingrid.

I cut out a "C" shaped chunk from the X member to give the driveshaft some room. Now, adding a Toybox to my H55/Split TC, I'm going to have to make additional mods or replace the whole thing... (that might mean my modifies X member will be for sale!)

Mark

so i will have to modify the X member and shorten and lengthen the driveshafts if i get a complete H55 Transmission/Transfer case? it seems like it would be much more of a hassle to try and mod the H55 to the current transfer case..

Swap out the 4 speed and swap in the 5 speed is what makes the driveshafts different. I have the shafts you need and if, as planned, I will need to get shafts modified for the Toybox addition, I will have shafts that I could trade you for yours - It doesn't matter what shafts I get lengthened/shortened.

mark

Swap out the 4 speed and swap in the 5 speed is what makes the driveshafts different. I have the shafts you need and if, as planned, I will need to get shafts modified for the Toybox addition, I will have shafts that I could trade you for yours - It doesn't matter what shafts I get lengthened/shortened.

mark

but i thought marrying up the H55 to a pre 85 60 transfer case takes modifications, which is why i was searching for a set already married together. The driveshafts are the least of my worries, but i will trade you with no issues.

The pre 4/85 t'case will bolt up to the H55 - but the bolts from your '83 will not be long enough because of no spacer as in the post 4/85. You need the bolts from the post- 4/85. They are disco'd by Toyota. ... There are threads in the 40 section that detail this. I believe it's a thread by Hugh Heifer.

The pre 4/85 t'case will bolt up to the H55 - but the bolts from your '83 will not be long enough because of no spacer as in the post 4/85. You need the bolts from the post- 4/85. They are disco'd by Toyota. ... There are threads in the 40 section that detail this. I believe it's a thread by Hugh Heifer.

ok, so if this is all there seems there is not a ton of work i'd have to do to bolt up the H55 to my current transfer case. That was my biggest worry

Output flanges may be different, too. But double and triple drilled flanges are available from Kurt at cruiser outfitters. Marlin, OrangeFJ45, etc ... They're about $38. Unless you plan on just modifying your old D-shafts, then you can just keep the flanges.

Output flanges may be different, too. But double and triple drilled flanges are available from Kurt at cruiser outfitters. Marlin, OrangeFJ45, etc ... They're about $38. Unless you plan on just modifying your old D-shafts, then you can just keep the flanges.

i have a bead on the correct DS's

I hate to rain on the parade Spike Strip but an 83 tcase will NOT bolt onto an H55. You have to have a 4 speed with the spacer. Commonly these were found starting in about 1985 or earlier in Australia and Canada. And there is no way to modify an early tcase to fit, the bearing configuration is completely different. You will see the difference when you try to put them together. The main output bearing on an H55 sticks out way farther than a non spacer tranny. Longer bolts will not work.

The crossmember is in the same place regardless of the year of the manual transmission. Both 4 and 5 speeds use the same location on the frame. But there are two different crossmembers, one bolts on the bottom and the early one bolts through the side of the frame. They are very different but located the same distance from the engine. And yes the driveshafts will clear the early crossmember with a typical lift. Mine has an OME spring set up and I just took the rig to Rubicon and it never once hit the crossmember and I made no mods to the crossmember.

Putting on the driveshafts is the easy part, just pull the part of your current shaft that bolts to the flange and put it on the new driveshafts. Toyota didn't change the size of the ujoints so they swap right over.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom