crafstman vacuum pump/brake bleeder question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got this tool for xmas, mostly hoping to save my wife the hassle of pumping brakes for me. But when I assemble the tool with the cup for bleeding brakes, it won't hold vacuum--the lid doesn't seal tightly enough. Anyone have experience with this? I haven't tried to bleed brakes yet, but loaned it to a buddy who said it didn't work for him. I'm guessing I have to make a new cup that actually seals.

thanks

its craftsman you cant take it back? i buy ther garden hose because they'll take it back life time warrenty on a hose?

David:

If you don't figure it out before then, I can bring a known good cup from my mityvac.

Does the pump make vacuum without the cup? You should be able to hold a finger on the end, and pump it up to a few bars of vacuum.

Dan

Yes the pump makes vacuum--if I put my finger on the end, it shows on the gauge When I put the cup on and plug the end, I can hear it suck air around the cap of the cup. I already swapped one of them at sears and the second one did the same thing. I don't have a receipt, so I can't get my $$ back. I figure I'll just make a new cup.

Dan, thanks for the offer. i'm not in a big rush, so I'll deal with it eventually.

I've had a couple of these (who knows what brand - probably the same manufacturer anyway), and you definintely have to take care of them. The first one had the lid crack, rendering it about useless. The one I have now has a more durable cup and lid, but it is still awkward to use. The lid is so tight that you shake up the fluid trying to open it for inspection or draining.

I recommend that if the pump works well you replace the cup with a mason jar. Modify the lid to include ports for the hoses and it should work like a charm. Also get longer hoses so the system can sit on the ground and be sure to clean the brake fluid out afterward.

thanks, that's what I'm going to try, though first with a plastic peanut butter jar so I don't worry about breaking glass.:)

I've had a couple of these (who knows what brand - probably the same manufacturer anyway), and you definintely have to take care of them. The first one had the lid crack, rendering it about useless. The one I have now has a more durable cup and lid, but it is still awkward to use. The lid is so tight that you shake up the fluid trying to open it for inspection or draining.

I recommend that if the pump works well you replace the cup with a mason jar. Modify the lid to include ports for the hoses and it should work like a charm. Also get longer hoses so the system can sit on the ground and be sure to clean the brake fluid out afterward.

thanks, that's what I'm going to try, though first with a plastic peanut butter jar so I don't worry about breaking glass.:)

You may find a typical plastic food jar is too flimsy for your app. Remember that you are applying suction through the jar and it needs to be rigid enough to keep it's form during the operation.

Good luck and tell us how it worked out.:)

I've got the same tool, I wish I never bought it. I tried putting grease around the lip of the plastic jar (might say to in the instructions) it helped to hold a vacuum but I could never get it to pull fluid. I've tried it on a few different vehicles with no luck.:mad::eek:

Don't get the little Mityvac job for $35 - waste!!!

All those type of tools are pretty much a joke, I've got a Mityvac that is pretty much worthless.

The positive pressure tank style bleeders or syringe style are the best bet. They are pricey and you need the proper adapter fittings for each vehicle but well worth the money. I have borrowed a KD unit and it is pretty slick, could probably throw something together out of a weed sprayer using the tubing and little nipples that come with the vacuum kits.

How To Bleed Your Brakes in Three Easy Steps

1. Add brake fluid to the Motive Power Brake Bleeder tank.

2. Firmly connect the supplied adapter to brake master cylinder and pump the Motive Power Brake Bleeder to pressurize.

3. Starting with the furthest away brake bleeder valve (typically on the rear of the vehicle), open brake bleeder valve and purge the air and old brake fluid from your brake system.

For more info visit: Motive Products - Power Bleeder DIY Brake Bleeder

anybody tried these one man job affairs with a one way valve at the bleeder? So you set it up, open the bleeder, go in, push the pedal, it comes out but doesn't suck the air back in when you walk back out to inspect your handywork...

I think you're thinking of Speed Bleeders. I bought them once, I thought they were worthless.

X2 on the MitiVac being a waste. I have one, haven't used it in years. The only thing it's good for is testing vacuum-based emission sensors and VCVs.

I have also read (can't confirm it though) that pulling a vacuum thru an ABS modulator can screw it up.

Built my own pressure bleeder. Works awesome, only way to do it now.

I think you're thinking of Speed Bleeders. I bought them once, I thought they were worthless.

X2 on the MitiVac being a waste. I have one, haven't used it in years. The only thing it's good for is testing vacuum-based emission sensors and VCVs.

I have also read (can't confirm it though) that pulling a vacuum thru an ABS modulator can screw it up.

Any pics or design you could post?

I've been using the Speed Bleeders and they work fine. However after you've loosened/tightened them you need to remove them, clean the threads and bake...yes bake as in an oven...fresh thread sealant back on which really negates any timed saved from bribing the :princess: ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom