New ride va beach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I bought another 80, with 151 K, no lockers. Owner claims it needs an new engine. His mech at carmax told him so. I took it out for a drive, only thing I noticed out of place was 5 or so knocks upon start up (loud), then it stops and drives normal. All fluids were a bit low, but looked go. No unusual smoke coming from the back, and no overheating. I would like some options and opinions. Thanks guys, hopefully I'll make the next trail ride. Later

Guys, I bought another 80, with 151 K, no lockers. Owner claims it needs an new engine. His mech at carmax told him so. I took it out for a drive, only thing I noticed out of place was 5 or so knocks upon start up (loud), then it stops and drives normal. All fluids were a bit low, but looked go. No unusual smoke coming from the back, and no overheating. I would like some options and opinions. Thanks guys, hopefully I'll make the next trail ride. Later

Hey Frank, you called me two days ago but I was sick. So you bought another 80 eh! Post some pictures so we can see what it looks like. What's the exterior color and what year is it? You need to Seafoam it to see if the knocks goes out on start up.

Was that the white one on CL?
That will be a great deal if the issue is minor.

X2. That sounds like the white one on Craiglist. Rod knocking, runs temporarily hmmmm, looks like craiglist to me:grinpimp:

Yea that was the one. I bought it for 2K. Upon further investigation it does have a knock, faint at idle, but knock and sound of knock increase on acceleration. Oil pressure gauge is at the stop almost at idle, but when I accelerate it goes to normal range. He said he had the rod bearings replaced and rear seal. I've been driving it around the hood, all other gauge indications normal, not leaking and coolant level is constant. My wife will bust my ass if it needs a new engine. I told her it was not that bad. Hopefully. If any of the club members pass through the OV let me know so I can get a second set of ears on it and opinion. Thanks

I'll post some pics soon. It cleaned up real nice, front seats look like they have new leather. Needs new tires. Hope this is not a money pit.

Hopefully you will get some help on the 80 forum.
I dont know if we have a diagnostic Guru in the bunch locally.
Personally I havent done much engine-wise, just a valve adjust, compression check, timing, and a crap load of Carb work.
No deep engine stuff.

BTW, the compression tool was only about $25 at NAPA.

cool, I'll go pick one up. Are you familiar with a leak down test? Thanks

Frank

cool, I'll go pick one up. Are you familiar with a leak down test? Thanks

Frank

No, not a leak down test. The one I did with the cheap guage was to pull the plugs and test each cylinder one at a time while cranking the engine. It was pretty easy. The guage had a needle that stayed at the high point.
On the 2F, 140 was a good number and I was close to that.

I was chasing an rough running issue and wanted to eliminate a head gasket, etc.

I think the leak down is more involved but I'd have to look it up.

Frank, what is the status of your truck?

Pick n pull

Just joined the site and am interested in finding out about PNP. I live near Pungo and have a 92 FJ80 with a short list of parts that I would like to pick up. Also, I did follow a few earlier threads and still have not found a garage that comes recommended in the area. Has anyone had any experience with Japanese Auto Masters?

Just joined the site and am interested in finding out about PNP. I live near Pungo and have a 92 FJ80 with a short list of parts that I would like to pick up. Also, I did follow a few earlier threads and still have not found a garage that comes recommended in the area. Has anyone had any experience with Japanese Auto Masters?

Welcome to Mud

I'm sure someone will give a heads up on PNP, I havent used it. I think you can check the inventory online though.

I've done all my own work so far other than AC. I did call the Japanes place on London Bridge about a PS box rebuild. They couldnt give me a price, but seemed pretty knowledgeable.
I do see a few LCs out there from time to time.

If you need help, this is the place. Ive found answers to som many questions here on mud.

Are you wheeling the 80, or is it a Daily Driver?

Dave

welcome

I live right next to PnP though i do NOT go out there often. You can look up inventory online but it is not always upto date. When they do have Toyotas on the lot, not to often they get raped fairly quick. From my understanding the Japanese Auto Masters place is more of a car shop but i could be wrong on that.

I am trying to turn my 80 into a daily driver, and am getting much closer. An AC leak being fixed on Thurs along with valve adjustment, exhaust repairs and a few other necessary fixes. Then round two is a rear main seal needing a fix. I would love to be able to take it on a stock trail. I did see the posts about a place called Crozet, which sounded interesting and conceivable since it does have daily driver trails. I don't plan at this point to make radical mods to take her accross serious trails. At this point, I wouldn't even trust driving it to Hatteras across the sand. Once she is mechanically sound, I'll be a bit more daring.

I am trying to turn my 80 into a daily driver, and am getting much closer. An AC leak being fixed on Thurs along with valve adjustment, exhaust repairs and a few other necessary fixes. Then round two is a rear main seal needing a fix. I would love to be able to take it on a stock trail. I did see the posts about a place called Crozet, which sounded interesting and conceivable since it does have daily driver trails. I don't plan at this point to make radical mods to take her accross serious trails. At this point, I wouldn't even trust driving it to Hatteras across the sand. Once she is mechanically sound, I'll be a bit more daring.

Hope you get her running right.
You are not the guy I met that went to Philly for the FJ60 are you?

Also, Crozet is pretty cool but even on the stock-ish trails, you are going to get a lot of grinding metal and maybe some body damage depending on clearance.
There are some good stock trails in the Geo Washington Forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom