M416 Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just recently purchased a M416 trailer. Frame is in great shape, axle is doing well also.

To be done:
Strip it down
Blast it
Convert hubs to 6x5.5"
Fix E-Brake housing
Weld in reciever into rear of frame
Weld Sliders to frame
Reinforce tailgate
Make height adjustable rack
Make tongue box(Water pump, Batteries,...
Slide out kitchen
Propane cylinder mount
Frontrunner Gas can mounts
Frontrunner Rack
Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top
Shovel/Axe/Hi-Lift mounts
Reciever added to tongue
Max Coupler
Way down the road:
Solar
Radio/Comm's
Drawer slides for the rear
Spare tire Swingout

My goal is to be able to travel the tent at a low height and sleep at 6'3"+/-, this allowing the Awning to be at an appropriate height and making the shower room off the T-Top usable.

I'll be fully documenting my build on Expedition Ops Facebook page at Expedition Ops | Facebook
39466_135896339780734_110490778987957_160266_2717783_n.jpg

Last edited:
Machining hubs???

I have the old stub axles so the hubs can't be swapped with a dexter to achieve my 6x5.5" stud pattern.

Heres what I was thinking about doing: Weld in the existing studs grind them flush and have a machinist drill new stud holes.

Any one tried this?

Here are some sketches of what I was thinking for design wise. Excuse the napkin sketches.
IMG_1036.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_1038.jpg

Does anyone have a source for 20" stroke gas lift springs? I've been trying to find them, McMaster Carr only goes up to about 15" then they get super spendy. I was going to use these in the 4 corners to lift the rack and tent, then use locking pins to support the weight of humans in the tent.
I'd love to be able to put the rack/tent as close to the top of the trailer rails as possible, then lift it to a height of 6'3" for the tall folks that travel with me. Sadly not much of a concern for me. I know the Conqueror trailers use gas lift springs for thiers as well, thats where I got the idea.

Suggestions?

Once, I seperated all the pieces parts of the trailer, I discovered that the main leaf were broken and the C-shackles were siezed. Thanks to Mud, I found the replacement springs but after shipping and cost they were pretty spendy. Aside from not liking the idea of trashing something that is mostly good, I also like supporting local craftsmen. So, I found a spring guy in town that was able to give me a good determination on life left in the springs and it cost me less to have him rebuild the springs and set them up for me than new springs would cost. $65 to make new mains and reassemble them as opposed to $80/spring pack from aftermarket companies. So, off they went to Randy to be reworked. I'm trying to decide how to lift the trailer, the tires will be 33" BFG AT's to match the truck on 4Runner steel wheels. That will increase the ride a bit.

I was able to pick up the wheels from a local Toyota 4WD club memeber for $40 with 32" rubber on them!!! Woohoo!
photo 2.jpg
4Runner wheels.jpg

Trailer Sandblasted

I sent the trailer off to the sandblasters and got the parts back in 3 days. $300 wasn't too bad, of course I told them the only thing they needed to be careful with was the drains... guess what was bent? They knocked off $30 for the damage and I was off.
photo.jpg

Welding sliders

PhotoGod and I grabbed steel last week and started on the sliders that are welded to the frame. These will support the Wedco cans and the propane cylinder, plus add protection to the trail from trail damage. The tires and wheels are wider, instead of extending the fenders with sheet, I figured I'd make a step surface and fender sliders as well. I'm short so adding something to walk around the trailer for loading onto the rack won't hurt either.

Here are some teaser pics but there are more at Expedition Ops | Facebook
photo 2(1).jpg

Adding Reciever

I swung by Northern Tool to grab 2" recievers. One for the tongue and one for the back end of the trailer frame. This should allow me to have a rear recovery point for the trailer or carry a bike rack or maybe MAYBE a motorcycle carrier.

They had an 18" tube and a 12" tube, the 18" was almost a perfect fit to reach between the two rails, this will later get 1.5"x3 14ga steel tube going diagonally to the side rails for strength and support.
photo 4(1).jpg
photo 5(1).jpg

Last edited:
Tailgate

Started cleaning the tailgate and the tub for reinforcements. Off comes the grab handles and what was left of the mounting tabs. I've decided to use 1" tube to reinforce the tailgate and create good clean hinge and seal surfaces.
IMG_1032.jpg

Nice job!!

I like the additions...just one thing......

If you're gonna roll with Photogod you better armor plate the whole thing

and add scuba gear...

:lol:

Keep up the good work

Pat

Nice job!!

I like the additions...just one thing......

If you're gonna roll with Photogod you better armor plate the whole thing

and add scuba gear...

:lol:

Keep up the good work

Pat

Thanks Pat (Trailer Guru Extrodinaire). Coming from you that means alot. This may be a different PhotoGod than you are thinking, the closest his truck gets to water is the 3gal tank in the back!!!! :D

But the Scuba gear is going on next. :cool:

I have the old stub axles so the hubs can't be swapped with a dexter to achieve my 6x5.5" stud pattern.

Heres what I was thinking about doing: Weld in the existing studs grind them flush and have a machinist drill new stud holes.

Any one tried this?

Hmmm, I didn't even know that the M416 came with anything other than a regular axle under it. I'd be inclined to just order a new 3500# axle and put some regular leaf springs under it. But that would be a project, too, and if you bought everything new would probably run you $400 to $500.

Replacing the axle with a new one would cost 400 if I went with an electric brake drum with cable actuated parking brake. Im trying not to trash a good axle and keep the parking brake.

Yes, the parking brake is a keeper. Doesn't see much use around the garage, where it's flat, but get that sucker near any hill and you'll be glad you retained it.

Thanks Pat (Trailer Guru Extrodinaire). Coming from you that means alot. This may be a different PhotoGod than you are thinking, the closest his truck gets to water is the 3gal tank in the back!!!! :D

But the Scuba gear is going on next. :cool:

Its Photogod and you can SMD. Show the guys the angles you cut and the ones I did. Nuff said. :bang: Thats the thanks I get for all the help I give you and for getting you into this habit. I'm coming over tomorrow to get my chop saw back, and my dog hates you. She wants a model release if you continue to use her in your photos!:flipoff2:

And thanks Pat. I think that was a compliment.

Last edited:
Easy killer! I have posted up the picture of your precision cutting skills on facebook. Followers link, anyone can see them there.

I can't post to mud from my phone, so I put up a pic of the progress made this weekend on facebook, not much, but some. I have trimmed the angles off the tailgate and will begin welding them back onto the tub. PhotoGod and I have cut a 1.5"x3" section of tube at a 120 degree angle to help pull the distorted tub back into alignment and also to provide rigidity to the backside of the tub. This will be bolted onto the frame sliders.

Marta, loves me! And she has recieve her photo credits! Hahaha!

Last edited:
Its Photogod and you can SMD. Show the guys the angles you cut and the ones I did. Nuff said. :bang: Thats the thanks I get for all the help I give you and for getting you into this habit. I'm coming over tomorrow to get my chop saw back, and my dog hates you. She wants a model release if you continue to use her in your photos!:flipoff2:

And thanks Pat. I think that was a compliment.

oh yea...a reeaaalll compliment..:rolleyes: :beer:

Can I send you the bill for the new build...I mean, I'm only over budget by about 4 grand, with no end in sight...:lol:

If it wasn't for people like PG and a few others...I'd probably would have a life, and a real relationship with my fiance...instead of everything revolving around these stupid trailers.

But forge ahead we must, because the lure of the trail is stronger than sitting back, reading the forums, and letting all the others have the fun!

This is going to be a fun build....that 1600 and Max Coupler are going to be top notch addtions!

Keep up the great work!

Pat

Half the trouble and delight I've gotten into due to this lifestyle is all owed to that B@stard PhotoGod... I was shopping for a Sportsmobile when I saw his truck at work... next thing you know, he is loaning me his M101, as his wife is saying "you should feel pretty honored that he's letting you borrow this, don't eff it up!" Donna's a great woman!!! Life is full of great people placed in your life at dire times, helping me come out a stronger person with a new passion and a great support group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom