Motor tear-down and rebuild... Tear Down. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will add some photos a little later. I have been talking about this project for a while and now i'm elbow deep in it with no functioning camera and a few questions.

I will also try to keep this thread updated so i can maybe add some tech to this section or help others as they do this.

My question right at this point is:

Do i have to remove the cams to remove the head? I have not even tried to stick a socket down on the head bolts, but the FSM is telling me to remove the cams first, then the head. Can i skip the cam removal and save that for the machine shop?

No the cams need to come off first, if you look, you will see the head bolts can not be accessed with out removing the cams.

No, but you can leave the intake in the engine bay to avoid messing with the wiring that goes between intake tracts. You can also leave the exhaust mans in the engine bay attached to the exhaust pipe.

Thanks for your replies! I have already removed the intake and pulled the wiring bundle through the firewall. Might have been a mistake, but i hope not. After i typed my question i went back out and messed a bit and it does appear that you cannot get the head bolts out without removing the cams.

Tank: went and purchased a set of 12 point sockets and a set of ratcheting wrenches for this job. Has made life a lot easier to have the right tools.

Two things i have thought about after the removal of the intake and the wiring harness: 1. The PHH is just that and i would like to eliminate the hard tube all together. THere was a write-up about doing that and i think i will.

2. There has to be a way to re-route the wiring bundle so that the intake can be removed again without pulling it through the firewall?.. anyone looked at that further? I don't plan on removing the intake again anytime soon, but just in case.... I may study on that a little tomorrow.

I'll try to get jfz80 to let me use his camera so i can show my progress and what i'm finding.... think i'm going to find a bent valve.

I routed mine out of the intake runner. I put the injector wire section through the center of the intake clamshell. The other wires--sensors/tranny/xfer/etc I routed underneat the lower portion of the intake manifold.

I did this by taking the wiring harness apart and separating the necessary wires and routing them correctly and then rewrapping them. It took a good day to do this correctly for the long haul.

Good luck Alex.

Wow, it only takes like 10-15 min each side of a head job to pull the wiring harness out of the computer. This allow you to wrap it really well and to check the wires at the computer where they contact some metal( as well as where they are close to the EGR pipe). I really do not under stand why the reluctance to pull the wires. As well as the exhaust manifold and the intake. I have the intakes sent off to the machine shop to soak in a tank to clean them.
The exhaust is just plain in the way, much easier to take them out.
But to each his own.
good luck

I have been tanking the intakes as well as replacing all the vacuum hoses in the truck, That alone takes about 10ft of hose and doing that with the harness still attached and the intake hanging off some support would be a major PITA.

I often find that a little extra time spent on something like removing the harness can pay dividends on time saved elsewhere in the process.

I plan on tanking the intake, which is why i wanted to go ahead and get it completely removed. That thing is filthy! I"m also going to replace all the vacuum hoses as Landtank suggests.

Also, i had a bit of trouble removing the lower intake. A lot of bolts, hard to reach hoses... just was like spaghetti to me. That's why i am trying to simplify and to me not having the wiring harness weaved into the intake is simpler.

once the harness is out of the way the head and intakes are pulled as a unit, pretty simple.

You are correct... live and learn! I pulled all the intake, so now i'm sitting with a head and block still in the bay.

I hope to remove the head in the next day or two. :wrench:

I cut the intake manifold years ago to facilitate no harness fiddling & it still seems like the best idea I've ever had on my 80 - radiused the cut down area, a little extra wrap on the harness to prevent chafing & it's been trouble free for years.

I know some still balk at the idea, but I'm here to tell you all it's worked out great.

If you cut the flat area that is tight to the head just inside the bolt holes & round the edges, it will save ever having to deal with the harness routing ever again. My crazy $.02

I was able to find the service bolt to hold the cam gears together at lowes. Think it was around $1.48

IIRC it was a 8x1.0x12mm

I will check the manual again tomorrow to make sure that was correct.

So far the only strange thing i have found is the number 1 bearing cap on the intake cam, the rear of the cap had a slight indication of wear. All the other caps looked great. Wonder why just the rear of this one had a little wear?

Was about to pull the head but it's getting dark and i need another set of hands so i don't blow my back out.

i'm hoping that jfz80 will post up some pics when he gets a chance. I don't have a camera so i snapped a few pics yesterday of the head gasket and head.

I was absolutely surprised how good the head gasket looked. In fact, i am wondering if it had been replaced at some point. The #6 cylinder did not show any signs of moisture.

I'm still wondering what that loud ticking was when it was running? More to come soon.....

i
I'm still wondering what that loud ticking was when it was running? More to come soon.....

dunno yet but im afraid its contagious :D
My junk now has a case of the tickitytickitytickities

Here are some pics of the head and internals, anything look out of the ordinary? I thought it looked pretty dang clean for quarter million miles :)

Valve cover off, rockers out, timing chain retained w/ screwdriver

concreteteardown001.jpg

oblique above view

concreteteardown002.jpg

pizza box bolt retention system

concreteteardown003.jpg

valve train bearing caps

concreteteardown006.jpg

head off, view of top of block, HG in place (from front)

concreteteardown007.jpg

HG detail from front

concreteteardown009.jpg

ole number sixer

concreteteardown012.jpg

concreteteardown011.jpg

bottom of head from front

concreteteardown016.jpg

bottom of head from back

concreteteardown014.jpg

and top of cylinder bottom of head/valves

concreteteardown018.jpg

whats up with the carbon flaking off #1 (or did you do that CJ)
and the intake valves on #5 look like they have gotten a lil steam cleaning maybe ?

Wasn't this the motor that reportedly had a hole burned in a piston? I'm not seeing evidence of that in the pix?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom