New addition, 85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.

Been on mud for a while now but mainly in the 80 section. Now that I have a 60 Ill probably be harassing the 60 crew...

Started off with a 00 sr5 tacoma 4x4. Built it up to just about as far as ifs would let me while still keeping it streetable. Its got 120 xxx km and I store it in the winter.

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

The "winter beater" is an 93 FZJ80 w 238 xxx miles that Ive cut and built to what you see below. Nothing too radical but it drives great and wheels pretty good.

DSC02558.jpg

DSC02523.jpg

The 60 is the new guy. Its an 85 with an engine/axle/soa conversion by Proffitts cruisers that has been on this site in the past. I paid too much and have to fix a couple things but its growing on me just like the other two.

DSC02656.jpg

DSC02660.jpg

Thats the story so far man...

D

Last edited:
Yeah, I know its kind of like reposting but this will be my official introduction/60 thread.

The 60 has the following:

ram jet crate 350 400hp/400tq
nv4500 manual tanny
atlas2 xfer
d60/arb front axle w ram assist/histeer
corp 14 bolt/arb rear axle
37" siped km2's
Champion beadlocks..
bunch of stereo junk inside.....

Oh it also has a dent on the side of the ps roof and a broken ps sideview. This all happened the first day I had it lol. Had to test it out so we took it up an old ski hill in my area.

Still getting to know it but I plan to remove a leaf from each pack (OME I think) in the front because it seems stiff and overpowers the rear. See what that does then make the call on the rear. It was running 39's so Im thinking I can bring it down a little with the 37's on there. I know its soa but I find it really high overall and the front doesnt have the flex it should.

Also have to replace some tie rods.

Other than that Im going to fix up all the little cosmetic things like the broken trim clips ect to try to get it to be a little less rattly. Probably ditch the sub box and amps as well since Im not a big stereo type guy. I have to fab up some tie downs for the rear cargo floor to secure the spare but am planning to make a swing down tire carrier similar to whats on the 80 when I have time. Maybe cut off the sliders so I can add some scab plates and gussets......

Lots of stuff to keep me busy.

D

Last edited:
Cant seem to find it on the proffitts site...... I know it was brown before but I only managed to find one pic on the engine conversion part of the site and the pic is of just the engine bay.

D

Got a bunch of little things done this week. Its rolling damn near rattle free now since I managed to track down all but 1 or 2. I took the door panels off to find missing bolts and speakers that were making contact w the glass when the windows were down. The door hinges were missing a couple bolts and the rear wiper motor was dancing around in the hatch because it too was 1/2 bolted. Good news is the inner doors are totally rust free which Im not used to up here.

1 more annoying rattle at the t case shifters that Im going to try to sort out today.

Thanks to a couple fellow mudders I tracked down the hvac trim/ashtray/fuse panel door and gas pedal to firewall bellows. I love the classifieds!

One thing that really bugged me about the interior was a lack of stash spots for a wallet/cell phone etc.. It has a tuffy console but I find it too cavernous and cant access it easily while out of the truck. I know its not a big deal but Im used to the taco and the 80.

So, I got a little creative and recycled my old 80 tranny skid into a "basket" that fits between the cup holders on the tuffy and the bottom of the dash. I still have a little fine tuning to do but I basically cut the back/center of the skid to fit around the shifter/tcase levers and joined it back together using bent up 1/2" solid rod. There is a tab that slides under the hvac vents on the dash side and it will be fastened to the cup holders on the other side.

Ill post a couple pics when I decide how terrible it looks...

D

Last edited:
Finished the cheesy bin thing today and threw it in the 60. Its solid, serves its purpose nicely and looks kind of decent..maybe.

DSC02665.jpg

DSC02666.jpg

DSC02668.jpg

D

After replacing a heater hose that let go the other day I took the new van out to my secret secret spot. My buddy Pete was at my place doing the intake gasket on his heap so he joined me.

Got it flexed out a bit but also found out the atlas pops out of low in the rear every once in a while. Have to dig into that and find out why cause its kind of scary when youre climbing something steep.

It crawls freaking slow man.

Couple poser shots starting w the wrench session in my drive way.

DSC02689.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02690.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02710.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

D

Last edited:
That is bad ass - in the photo you should have blurred the Heep tho when it is amongst your Toyota posse

Meh, the heap being worked on in the garage should make up for the blasphemy.

Found the drivers tail light cracked this morning..... damn trees.

Taking her on a trail run today so there might be more pics later.

D

Nice Parking Brake!

Went on a proper trail run today and came out with no carnage... minus a couple scratches. We hit a trail that hasnt been run in a couple years so it was tight. It was also pretty technical with some nice off cambers and slick hill/rock climbs. Xfer popped out of rear low a couple times at the beginning so I held it in place with my hand through the sketchy stuff and for the most part it didnt pop the rest of the run.

I also managed to keep it clean until I tried to crawl way too slow through some loon s***. Had to get the tires spinning and in turn plastered the ps side.

Im getting used to it now which could be both a good and bad thing.

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

Butters matches the van pretty good eh?

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02736.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

A crappy creek crossing vid.

D

Last edited:
T/C Jumping out

I had that problem but I hope it has been resolved. There are 2 rubber boots on the T/C shifter. The one you see on the floorboard is one, but there is another one the is inverted below it and it keeps the dirt out of your floor. The rubber on this one gets old and stiff and puts pressure on your T/C shifter, trying to push it out of gear. I fixed mine with a pocketknife.
If that doesn't cure it, get in touch with Cruiser Dan and get the new springs and detent balls. Not much money.

My van has an atlas xfer but what youre describing could apply. It feels like there is something pushing the stick out of low. The stick for the front axle has been fine, its just the rear. Gonna pull the boots off and take a look at whats happening under there this week sometime.

D

My van has an atlas xfer but what youre describing could apply. It feels like there is something pushing the stick out of low. The stick for the front axle has been fine, its just the rear. Gonna pull the boots off and take a look at whats happening under there this week sometime.

D

Nice vid. Now that you've had this 60 off road, how does it compare to your other rigs? You seem to have enough of them!;)

Couple other vids. Warning, some heap content and swearing. My mud crawl/stuck is in there too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xj99?feature=mhum#p/u/5/GaAP6s4aysA

I love the 60 but the off cambers throw me off since its so tall. Im getting the hang of it now and trusting the suspension more. The taco is the most stable when on 3 wheels it seems and the 80 is somewhere in between. Suspension wise the 60 isnt near as plush as the unswaybarred taco and the coiled 80. Dont get me wrong, it likes to flex, its just more of a pogo ride when on the trail. The other 2 cant come close to the 60's power/gearing.

D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom