The Coleman Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I noticed a few of us like old Coleman products. Lets share resources and hints for re-habing these great old pieces of camping equipment.

Saturday I did a quick clean up and test run on the 425 stove I found a couple of weeks ago. Before I even started cleaning it I wanted to see if it even worked.

Step one was to look inside the fuel tank. Mine was clean and shiny in spite of the amount of rust on other parts of the stove.

Step two was to pull the pump plunger out. To do this you use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the hoop on the plunger cap and lift it out of the hole on one side. Push the cap side ways to get the other side free.

Step three was to lube the leather piston. The leather piston gets hard when the stove sits for long periods. I used regular cooking oil and worked it into the leather until it was soft again.

Step four was to check the cap seal. Mine was in pretty good shape, all I had to do was wipe it with a little oil to clean it up.

After that I filled the tank about half full and pumped it up. I had to fuss with the cap seal a bit more before I could get a decent amount of pressure in the tank.

Then I lit it up. Worked on the first try.

I then disassembled the stove and washed it with TSP and hot water. Be very careful NOT to soak the top in the TSP hot water solution. (The decal will come off. I learned this on an old military patrol stove I was cleaning up.) Every thing else except the burners and fuel tank went into the laundry sink for a half hour soak.

Sorry no before and after pictures.

Old Town Yucca was an amazing resource, sadly their site is gone and domain is for sale. So I've now been using OldColemanParts.com. For Utah locals there is a great local resource that stick an amazing quantity of Coleman spares, Vics Lock & Key in downtown SLC, beside them Sportsmans and Cabelas stocks the regular components, generators, mantles and even globes occasionally.

Links:
OldColemanParts.com
Coleman Collectors Club

A few of my old Colemans :D
Camp_Equip 001 (Medium).jpg
412B 013 (Medium).jpg

I found one of those old colemans in my cabins basement, was my grandfathers. Brand new, still has the instructions in it. Are these things worth any money?

I found one of those old colemans in my cabins basement, was my grandfathers. Brand new, still has the instructions in it. Are these things worth any money?

being it was your Grandfather's worth way more than $$$$$......pic's please

this is going to be a cool thread, i need to did our some old coleman stuff i have and make pic's too-----

Yes and no. I always tease the going rate of a Coleman is much like an International Scout... get it out of my garage :D

A super clean, brand new in box could sell for $40-50, used but working ones can be had pretty commonly for $5 - $10.

Something like that would be worth more to use as a relic of your grandfathers.

I would never sell anything that was my grandfathers, just curious. He was my best friend and my boss for 5 years until his death. I'll dig it out and take some pics. I ended up with some pretty cool stuff from my grandfather. He had a winchester model 70 pre 64 30-06 that he bought new in 1950, killed my first bull with that gun. The sentimental value is priceless.

I would never sell anything that was my grandfathers, just curious. He was my best friend and my boss for 5 years until his death. I'll dig it out and take some pics. I ended up with some pretty cool stuff from my grandfather. He had a winchester model 70 pre 64 30-06 that he bought new in 1950, killed my first bull with that gun. The sentimental value is priceless.

very true,and everytime you hunt with that '06..........your Grandfather will always been on your mind. Priceless for sure.

A few of my old Colemans :D
There was one like the last picture in the pile they had at Twin City. It was pretty rough but I like the fold down legs. I might go back and pick it up.

Im having trouble getting my stove to burn. I picked up some coleman camp fuel, is this the right stuff? It burned at first for a bit and now i cant get it to do anything. Whats the pump on the tank for, doesnt seem to be doing anything?

I figured out that you need to open the valve on the pump, now im getting gas coming out from around the pump, and it sounds like air coming out. Should i feel pressure building with the pump? Do i need new gaskets, and if so where can i get them?

I figured out that you need to open the valve on the pump, now im getting gas coming out from around the pump, and it sounds like air coming out. Should i feel pressure building with the pump? Do i need new gaskets, and if so where can i get them?
Yup. First thing that fails us usually the leather cup on the pump. Sometimes it's just dried out and you can "save" it with some oil. I found new cups local but I'm sure they're easy to buy online. The other critical seal is the cap. Simple o-ring I think? Don't have one in front of me.
Butt

How do you get the pump assembly out of the tank?

Cool, Thanks for the help!

The cylindrical fuel tank unit was the unit we took camping in the 50-60's ,, I don't really know where it went , but the single burner one in a can is what we use now.

Lobsters in Nova-Scotia was the longest i was cooking with it, needed to refuel ..

VT

Wow. Very cool thread. I love old stuff. The history, heritage and connection are important things to me.

DougM

If you oil up the leather cup and still don't feel the tank start to pressurize try cleaning and oiling the tank fill cap seal.
If the oven has been sitting for a long time it may take a few uses to start working right. The one I rehabbed was kind of marginal the first couple of times we used it, I had to pump the tank a lot to keep the burners going at a decent level. Now I pump it up once and can cook a full meal with little or no further pumping.

Last edited:
If you oil up the leather cup and still don't feel the tank start to pressurize try cleaning and oiling the tank fill cap seal.
If the oven has been sitting for a long time it may take a few uses to start working right. The one I rehabbed was kind of marginal the first couple of times we used it, I had to pump the tank a lot to keep the burners going at a decent level. Now I pump it up once and can cook a full meal with little or no further pumping.

I don't know about later models, but my approximately '67 vintage stove has an o-ring in the cap and it disintegrated over the years. I dug it out and replaced it recently. Now the tank holds good pressure overnight. If you don't have an o-ring assortment, just dig it out and go to an auto parts store to have them fit a replacement. The o-ring material needs to be able to handle exposure to gasoline.

Another thing, is always use a filter funnel to fill the tank. Coleman's is much better than all the others I've seen. The one I have I think is a replacement, but it has a paper or cloth filter element in the bottom of it that is nearly as wide as the top funnel opening.

The Ozark Trail filter funnels sold at Wal-Mart are junk and have screens that have to large of holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom