2F valve train not oiling? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CrowleyFJ40

Take off, eh.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.org
My 2F started making a "chirping" noise as best I can describe it. I used a stethoscope to narrow it down to I believe the valvetrain. I pulled the valve cover off and ran the engine and it is loudest around cyl 4 and 5. I have seen the oiling diagram for the 2F, but an unclear exactly where the oil comes out to oil the valvetrain? With the valve cover off wouldn't I see oil coming out somewhere to lubricate the valve train because I don't see any oil being slung anywhere? In the picture below there is oil in the recesses in the head, as seen in the middle of the pic between the two valves, but the rest of the valve train is pretty dang dry.

IMG_0176.jpg

The engine sat for a few years in my parents garage before I put it in my '73. Could the oil riser going up to the rockers have gotten gummed up, or something clogging it? What's my next best move from here, remove the rocker assembly?

EDIT: when running the engine the oil pressure is in the middle of normal range at idle, maybe a little higher, and goes to just under max in normal range while driving.

A gummed up oil passage would be my guess too. The oil passage to the rockers is in the 4-5 pillow block as I remember. While you are there you might want to check out how worn your rocker bearings are. You can grab ahold of the rocker and feel for slop with the rocker shaft. checking for wear on the shaft is also as easy as running you finger over the surface of tthe rocker.

My rockers will push oil out those little holes in about 15 seconds of running (cold) and immediately if warm. Probably a plugged passage, you need to pull the rockers. As rsbcruiser said the rockers will need some inspection. The max clearance rocker to shaft is .003 so the shaft has to look pretty good to be in spec. If this has been going on a long time that rack could be toast.

I believe I found the culprit. It appears that the headgasket has been installed incorrectly, blocking the oil riser hole. There is about 1/4"-3/8" of headgasket sticking out the back of the block. I will pull the rocker assy off tonight and stick some wire down there and see if I hit solid.

The bad part is, I have no idea how long the engine was run like that. My dad bought the motor from a guy about 6-7 years ago. He had the motor rebuilt, but then swapped for a SBC. No idea how many miles/hours were put on the motor. Guess I'll also be thoroughly checking the rockers, valves, and pushrods.

I think that headgasket is supposed to stick out in back...they make 'em that way so you don't put them on backwards.

Did your Dad install new cam bearings too?

Cam bearing is the oil galley to the head.
HEad gasket has hole in it to go to rocker arms.
Rocker arm needs to be assembled correctly to get oil to rockers
You won't be able to put a wire down to see if your getting oil corrrectly it has too many turns. I think somewhree in one of my fsm's is the oil routing.

The oil path jogs at the head so checking with a wire won't work. How about remove the plugs and clean around them, remove the rockers, pushrods(keep in order) and turn the key to crank it over. You should see oil percolating out of the hole on #4 rocker tower.

Cam bearing is the oil galley to the head.

Right, but I think the oil has to go through a main bearing to get to the cam bearing...Is it possible to put in a main bearing backwards so that it blocks that passage?

Right, but I think the oil has to go through a main bearing to get to the cam bearing...Is it possible to put in a main bearing backwards so that it blocks that passage?

Possible, but it should have stopped running and started making A LOT of noise in the bottom end a long time ago...

:meh:

Possible, but it should have stopped running and started making A LOT of noise in the bottom end a long time ago...

:meh:

I would like to think I was pretty carefull putting the bearings in. In fact I don't think they can be put in wrong, but it has been a while since I did it.
That said it probably has less than 100 miles on it since the main bearings were installed and maybe as little as 25 miles.
Erik what is a FSM? Forum message? I'm looking for an oiling diagram.
Thanks to everyone.
Mark

FSM=Factory Service Manual

I have yet to see a good oil pathway drawing for a 2F. The F, Yes. The 2F, NO. Hope to see one.
I don't think it is a bearing problem, it looks like there was some oil flow and that would not be with a bearing closed off. Maybe some RTV stuck in the oil path somewhere?

I would like to think I was pretty carefull putting the bearings in. In fact I don't think they can be put in wrong, but it has been a while since I did it.
That said it probably has less than 100 miles on it since the main bearings were installed and maybe as little as 25 miles.
Erik what is a FSM? Forum message? I'm looking for an oiling diagram.
Thanks to everyone.
Mark

Oh, you can install the main bearings upside down...

#4 Main bearing cap, bearing halves and #6 connecting rod and bearing.

#4 Main bearing was installed reversed, meaning the lower bearing was in the upper section of the engine block, preventing oil from lubricating that main bearing and the #6 connecting rod bearing.
JUNK01.jpg
Junk02.jpg
Junk03.jpg

More....

#6 Crank throw:

That is once-liquid main bearing material in that oil journal, just like the main journal oil passage pictured previously..

No wonder #6 was rattling around, huh?
CRANK03.jpg
CRANK05.jpg

Based on oiling diagram (thats out of haynes, much easier to see in the book) it looks like the oil goes through the main bearing and then to cam bearing to head. So even IF the rod bearings are on wrong (seriously doubt it) then that still would not keep oil from going up to the head? Right?

Last edited:
Rod bearings do not affect rocker arm oil flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom