Anyone ever tweak their gas grill to increase gas flow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a Vermont Casting i picked up cheap and i plan on drilling out the orifices to increase gas flow and thus resulting in a hotter grill, hopefully. Anyone ever do this? This should be interesting.....

is it a propane grill that you are going to run natural gas on? If so, there is plenty of info on net regarding size.

or is a propane grill you want to run propane on and just want it to get hotter by drilling a bigger hole. (inuendo intended since this is chat)

is it a propane grill that you are going to run natural gas on? If so, there is plenty of info on net regarding size.

or is a propane grill you want to run propane on and just want it to get hotter by drilling a bigger hole. (inuendo intended since this is chat)

propane and keeping the propane.

Never done it. I did get a gas dryer that was supposed to be propane, but they delivered a NG dryer (orifice is bigger). MUCH bigger flame was the tip off and they replaced the orifice to the right size.

Just follow the net directions to convert from propane to NG. You will go through gas faster and may have trouble controlling lower temps.

i drilled out the holes to 1/16th....too much. Orange huge flame, but the grill gets to 900 degrees :)

i couldnt find a drill bit smaller than 1/16th, I think it needs to be a bit smaller than that..

if the gas flows out of the propane cylinder too quickly, it can freeze up and not work

but if you're looking to cook at 900 degrees, you won't need it that long anyways

I have found (with a worn out burner) the orange flames will "blacken" food quickly, not in a good way, unless you like sooted chicken.
Carcinogens aside, stuff still tastes the same.

What the hell are you trying to nuke?

I bet you can find a replacement orifice for that grill that is for NG which will be bigger than propane, or get a better grill. I can get my propane Weber Summit to 900 with all 6 burners going and no drilling of orifice. Don't need it much higher than 700 though to sear a good steak (but you already know that).

i drilled out the holes to 1/16th....too much. Orange huge flame, but the grill gets to 900 degrees :)

i couldnt find a drill bit smaller than 1/16th, I think it needs to be a bit smaller than that..

Use your weenis, Liam.:flipoff2:

Are these replaceable ports you're boring out?

Liam,

I tried this on my bbq side burner starting with just a couple thou over the proper jet size. It never did work right. Came to the conclusion jets and burners are matched. If you want more BTU from propane you need to buy a higher output burner...which is what I did. No more candle in the wind effect with my 45kbtu burner.

Having said all that you might be able to increase the output of the burner by increasing the gas pressure...with an adjustable regulator. Just be sure your fuel line is up to whatever pressure you decide to throw at it...

well people i have successfully done it. If you want your grill to get around 800-900 degrees here you go....

1. buy new regulator
2. drill all orifices out to 1/16th - they are very easy to get to
3. open your baskets to allow as much O2 in as possible. This will tweak the gas/air mix so that your flame is not yellow....you should get a big blue flame with just a little flickers of orange.

Step three was the step i was missing to get it perfect, but i talked with a Weber rep about adjustable regulators and he suggested i try the baskets first....worked perfect.

here is what they look like. there is a screw that you will have to loosen before you can turn them.

now my grill gets over 800 degrees ... booya.
photo.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom