Brake Loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TomH

SILVER Star
Threads
I just finished up a 3000 mile road trip in the Land Cruiser – Seattle to Disneyland and back. While driving through Yosemite I pretty much lost all braking. Peddle to the floor with little or no stopping power. I was almost to the Yosemite Village so I limped in there in 2nd gear with the hand on the e-brake. After letting the truck sit for a few hours, the braking was back to normal – or close, so I pressed on and made it home about 3 days and 1000 miles later. I was babying the brakes the rest of the way home.

A few details:
1997 Land Cruiser
118,000 miles
New brake fluid at about 65K
New front pads about 100K
It was a hot day and I had been driving up and down mountains all day
Truck was fully loaded with 8 passengers, loaded roof rack and towing a tent trailer (with surge brakes). Guessing about 8000 lbs total weight

My guess is the master cylinder needs to be replaced. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

Sure it wasn't brake fade? Having been in that area more than once, I could easily see the brakes being over used, especially with that heavy a weight.

Sure it wasn't brake fade? Having been in that area more than once, I could easily see the brakes being over used, especially with that heavy a weight.

X2, well not fade exactly, but contaminated fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, absorbs moisture from the air. Water boils at a lower temp, so when the brakes are heated, used a bunch, the moisture boils, causing vapor, vapor (air) compresses, so no pedal, when cooled the vapor is reabsorbed and you have pedal again. This is why most all manufactures recommend changing brake fluid every year.

Thanks for the input. After doing a little research on brake fade, I agree that fluid fade was probably the problem.

The only time i experienced that same exact problem (in a heavily loaded mini truck) was in the same area. When I got home I changed the brake fluid. It has not happened again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom