Loose sway bar? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was under my BJ70 this morning and noticed that the front sway bar that wraps around the front diff was loose on both sides where it connects to the frame beside the front shocks. There is about 1/8" vertical play on each side, these should be tight against the bushings shouldn't they? The 3/4" side to side play of the front sway bar I presume is normal.

Easy solution....

Lose sway bar...:grinpimp:

I just ditched the one from my bj70, only difference I've noticed is a few less klunks from the front end when turning and bouncing over potholes.

Certainly haven't noticed more " sway" but I don't exactly drive the thing like a hotrod... (not sure if that's even possible....)

cheers,
r

loosing the anti sway bar not something I would recommend it causes chaos in my LJ77 then the bushes are gone .

flops all over the road except when using the 35" sneakers and then its noticible as it developes a funny wobbling motion on bumps etc.

also makes it handle bad at anything over 70-80k on windy roads.

How ever since the LJ70 is a shorty it may be different.

There are metal sleeves on the sway bar @ where it connects to the chassis. When I put a body lift in mine i replaced the oem ones with some new pipe of the same diameter. Can't remember how much longer I made then now but it solved my problem. The sway bar bushes would pop off the mounts on the diff and cause noise. The extended pipe solved the prob for me.

Have you put in a body lift or suspension upgrade recently?
Maybe the bushes need to be replaced on the sway bar?
I'm not sure if there should be a bit of play in the say bar. Maybe someone alse can answer that one.

Cheers.

loosing the anti sway bar not something I would recommend it causes chaos in my LJ77 then the bushes are gone .

flops all over the road except when using the 35" sneakers and then its noticible as it developes a funny wobbling motion on bumps etc.

also makes it handle bad at anything over 70-80k on windy roads.

How ever since the LJ70 is a shorty it may be different.

yeah but are we talking leafs vs coils here tho?

made zero difference on my leaf sprung bj70....just sayin.

I guess you could disconnect the ends and take it for a spin to see how it affects you, if it's noticeable, tighten it up, if not...

I've run the BJ74, HJ61, and BJ60 w/o sway bars and as long as you are aware and drive accordingly...no problems.

I just put the sway bars back on the HJ61, and was surprised at the difference in cornering, body roll and overall feeling of stability. It's strictly a family hauler/grocery getter so they will be staying on.

webbz47, you can get new rubber bushings from the dealer if it's your bushings that are pooched.

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom