ROAM Camper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks nice. Hope you have more friends to flip it back over now that the axle is on:flipoff2:

Coming along nicely!
You are correct, It looks heavy as hell, But it sounds like that is what you planned on.
Good luck!

Thanks..I knew it was gonna be heavy..but thought , hey..how could it be?!...lol

Looks nice. Hope you have more friends to flip it back over now that the axle is on:flipoff2:
I don't have many friends, but have lots of beer, which allows me the luxury of lots of friends...lol

I won't make that mistake again..I'll get six guys to make it more reasonable (and safer):idea:.

I am pumped though, my plans are to get the axle, spidertrax and wheels back on and the bottom painted Friday, and flip that baby back over!!! I ordered two LT 6 ply tires (used, off fleabay)to use on the trailer....i just don't trust the standard tires, too chancey. The bumper also has to be installed...but that's a few welds. I wonder if I should replace the shocks?:hmm:

Last edited:
Added a front spare tire carrier, back bumper and new electric brake axle

Very hot today and got rained out for the paint job

Tomorrow is paint, wheels and flip upright
btm4.jpg
btm8.jpg
btm10.jpg

Last edited:
Got the paint job in this morning...hoping the rain holds for an hour or two until it tightens up a bit

Sorry for the not so great images..

Seems to be a glitch with the phone update and I can't send them to myself and display them...but I'm working on it! Update..figured it out!
btm2.jpg
btm1a.jpg
btm6.jpg

Last edited:
Friggin' Tires Jack!!

Got the wheels on this afternoon...you could cut the air with a knife

Installed the Spidertrax first, then the Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition rims

It all went pretty well..and no rain yet!

I'm very happy with the tire width clearance, ended up in middle, don't ask me how....;)

I'm contemplating doing the wire harness for the brakes and lights while she's on her back...
It sure would be better then spending a day on my back...

As far as flipping, the plan was to grab the guy a few houses up the hill with a backhoe and throw him 50$ to turn it over....but Murphy's friggin Law never takes a day off...his machine is down for repairs...arrrggghhh, looks like we'll be doing it the old fashioned way..

paint me green and yellow and call me John Deere...:p
btm11.jpg
btm13.jpg
btm14.jpg

Last edited:
Looks real good there Patsy.
Definately do all your wiring while you got it on it's back. And definately use heat shrink terminals,butt conectors and wire cover to keep it from giving you corrosion headaches in the future.

Oh by the way, maybe Tiki can help you flip it when you're ready. :flipoff2:

Looks real good there Patsy.
Definately do all your wiring while you got it on it's back. And definately use heat shrink terminals,butt conectors and wire cover to keep it from giving you corrosion headaches in the future.

Oh by the way, maybe Tiki can help you flip it when you're ready. :flipoff2:

You're a riot Norton...figures you would know something about "connecting to butts"....:flipoff2:

Anywho..you know the drill..small update

Thought I would take advantage of the turtle on its back...and did some wiring and finished the spare tire holder/carrier..

Behold....
spare1.jpg
btm15.jpg
tng13.jpg

She's FLIPPED!!

OK..7 guys later we got it righted, and nobody got hurt!!

Hooked it up and took it for a test spin...life is good again!

Cutting the grass and weedwhacking...then headed out for some wood!!
1sthkup3.jpg
1sthkup2.jpg
1sthkup4.jpg

and a few more jack knifed..

Guess it couldv'e been a little more room..but it did a 90

For what it's worth dept....

The Max Coupler performed flawlessly..doesn't make a peep, and you really cant tell it's back there
1sthkup5.jpg
1sthkup6.jpg
1sthkup7.jpg

Ahhhh screw it..already on a tear today might as well keep going...

Thought I'd play with the Max Coupler a bit when I brought it down back..woohoo..livin' on the edge baby!!

Then I threw the back jacks in and jacked that bitch right off the ground like no ones business...
mc1.jpg
mc2.jpg
jack4.jpg

yea for you. great way to celebrate an important step in yr build!

did I miss where yr stowing the jacks?

oh, and I'm sure you know those tires are near the wear bars, yes?

In my pappy's world, jack-knifing was bad. (Semi's on 2 lane roads through central NM and other places)
Did I miss something in the 4wd world where it was good? Or are we just showing clearance in worst case scenarios? 2'nd photo post I've seen, figured I should ask, in case I'm missing sumptin.

Lookn good, carry on.

yea for you. great way to celebrate an important step in yr build!

did I miss where yr stowing the jacks?

They'll be stowed inside the camper, fastend upright in the corners and removed as needed.

oh, and I'm sure you know those tires are near the wear bars, yes?

In my pappy's world, jack-knifing was bad. (Semi's on 2 lane roads through central NM and other places)
Did I miss something in the 4wd world where it was good? Or are we just showing clearance in worst case scenarios? 2'nd photo post I've seen, figured I should ask, in case I'm missing sumptin.

Lookn good, carry on.

Thanks SM..I knew they were close when I bought them...I just want to get through this season. I'm putting LT 6 plys on the 4Runner in the fall, and will purchase 2 new matching 10 plys in the spring to start the camping season next year.

The jack knife thing is for setting up with the truck still connected to the trailer. Hey...If it's good enough for Adventureduo...it's good enough for me...:lol: and yes, I did want to see how close the trailer framing will be to the TV...a little bit closer than I had hoped...:eek:

Last edited:
You do good work. Whats next for this one?

Also, you need to come wheelin in CA. Roadtrip?

Thanks Mr. P.

Funny you would ask about a roadtrip...just for yuks I looked up how far it was to get to S&T...said about 40 hrs driving time..so for sake of arguement at least 4 days driving time. So that means I would have to put in for a minimum of 2 weeks.

I'd love to see CA. before I croak..you guys have some serious 4wheeling spots out there.

This one is being built off the same idea as the last...just a huskier frame, matching rims, and few other goodies. The ladder will also be enclosed on this one, which means the annex is a bit bigger

Stay tuned...picking up wood in the morning!:beer:

Small update...

Like Koffer said...H O T today

Got the brakets for the tailiglights welded on, drill the holes for the hitch pins to hold the rear landing gear on, sanded and painted the rear landing gear
tail2.jpg
jack5.jpg

Update Time !!

Yesterday and todays progress consisted of finish tail light brakets, and start laying out the framing. Hot as hell yesterday, and rain never really cleared out till after 1 pm

But at least there was some progress..

Tomorrows update promises to be BIG...REALLY BIG!!
tail5.jpg
tail4.jpg
tail3.jpg

Last edited:
And a few more...

I used a 1-1/2" x 4" x 1/4" pc of flat stock as a washer to hold the framing to the bed...

Of course as in typical Titanpat57 fashion..everything gets glued, screwed and tatooed

Stay tuned..:beer:
frame1.jpg
frame2.jpg
frame3.jpg

Whew...

I need a friggin break from this thing...

Ran out of wood

Ran out of daylight

Ran out of steam

I ended going about 8" higher than the original plan...gives me a big difference inside, and doesn't really inpact anything else.
frame4.jpg
frame8.jpg
frame9.jpg

Noseage

"I cans see Paradise by the dashboard lights....."

Well..not exactly dashboard....but by God we slapped that nose framing on by headlight tonight!!

and a daylight shot as well...:beer:
frame10.jpg
frame12.jpg
frame13.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom