Catalytic Converter Heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the passenger floorboard was very warm, almost hot, after driving 100 miles home after a few hours of off roading. The rig is a 94 with 150,000 miles. Obviously the heat is coming from the Catalytic Converter. My jacket, that was on the floorboard, felt like it just came out of the clothes dryer on the hot setting. Is this much heat common or am I just being paranoid?

Are the heat shields (two pice clamshell type thing) in place?Those things stay hot for awhile after they're warmed up. I removed and reinstalled an o2 sensoor yesterday in that vacinity and was surprised how long they retained they're heat.

Yes, the heat shield are still there. The cat. converter has been banged a few times though. I wasn't sure if the excessive heat is an indication that the cat. is at the end of its life span.

It is typicall for the 93-94 model years to get real warm under that area. I have taken to using some insulation in that area under the carpet to keep the wife happy. later robbie

Hot cats...

Make great foot warmers come winter! Mine gets warm too, but not hot.

Mine get pretty hot also... I noticed the plastic electrical conduit guide was slighlty melted when I took my front carpet up a while back. I am planning on putting some additional heat shielding in.

Haven't ever been told of any excessive heat. Will check it out if I remember. We've got same year with almost identical mileage.

Thanks for the feedback. I have black plastic Husky floor liners (work great catching kid spills and mud) and I was surprised how hot the passenger side plastic gets. Sounds like nothing I need to be concerned with.

Have a 96 LX450 with 124000 miles, have the same situation. The passanger side floor and passanger side middle seat anchor get very warm.

I don't have heat problems anymore :D

Overheating is generally caused by fouling or overworking of the catalytic converter. Deposits can form over the life of the vehicle. Misfire, too lean & too rich, leaky or inoperative EGR valve can all lead to early catalytic converter demise through overwork, then fouling.

I've never done it on the fj80, but you can test catalytic converter efficiency by forcing the vehicle into a lean/rich state and compare catalytic temps before and after. There should be a spike in catalytic conv. temp when the vehicle goes rich/lean.

I don't have cats on my '94, yet the floor still gets pretty warm, at least it used to. When I removed my cats, I also removed the heat shields and placed some Damplifier Pro on the bottom side of the floor boards. Though the D.P. sheets are pretty sticky, the heat shields sandwich them quite well. I also applied some D.P. and Luxury Liner to the top side of the floor boards. The PS foot well is still warmer than the DS, but nothing you can really feel when the floor mat is there.

Same year/mi as OP and Brent's, gets pretty warm but nothing I would call hot.

my PS (97) got toasty around the floorboard. just stuck on liberal amounts of adhesive heat shield wrap/sheets above the exhaust downpipe, cats and inside the floorboard, under the PS carpet. no more melting toes...

I don't have cats on my '94, yet the floor still gets pretty warm, at least it used to. When I removed my cats, I also removed the heat shields and placed some Damplifier Pro on the bottom side of the floor boards. Though the D.P. sheets are pretty sticky, the heat shields sandwich them quite well. I also applied some D.P. and Luxury Liner to the top side of the floor boards. The PS foot well is still warmer than the DS, but nothing you can really feel when the floor mat is there.

How do you pass emissions with no cats and EGR? :hmm: Your tempting me...

In my truck, not only the floor boards got warm but the whole tranny hump did. It would get warm enough to get uncomfortable if I was in shorts and had my leg resting against the hump.

Best thing I did was to install a 1" body lift. It's amazing how much heat that extra air flow dissipates.

Best thing I did was to install a 1" body lift. It's amazing how much heat that extra air flow dissipates.

Great thinking, now I can tell the wife it's not just something I want, it will make the truck last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom