62 A440F Trans poping out of gear when cold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ62 Power & A440F Trans Discussion / Popping out of gear when cold

I haven't looked at it at all, when in gear it seems super solid. The shift linkage was a little loose when I first got the truck which I tightened and replaced a bushing (literally 10 minute job) in the shifter itself. Trans seems solid, whole truck only has 118K miles on it and is great shape...

This weekend I was going to do some servicing, change the oil and possibly do the Rodney flush mostly for peace of mind. I would like the A440F to last and do whatever I can to efficiencize the trans as much as possible without replacing it. If I did get to place where I was pulling it or replace it I would probably convert it to manual at that time. It currently has 31s and needs to be mostly a solid daily driver.

I have an older set of OME lying around that I plan to install at some point but will probably leave it with 31s unless 33's somehow push it into a better gearing perspective as far as power and mileage for hills (which I doubt). I am at higher altitude (between 5000 and 7500 feet daily) and with a huge, 20 mile, super steep highway grade daily. Because it was sitting for a little while (with the super low mileage) it was actually a little low on power at first but the more i have driven it its sort of snapped back to life with more and more power. I am happy using 3rd gear to get up and over the pass which currently seems to be fine, my complaint #1 is popping out of gear when cold and #2 anything I can do to make the trans better with hopefully no major work (for example I am probably not interested in rebuilding the torque converter - mostly likely), unless the A440F really can be brought to life because I prefer manual to auto and I know the manual would be much more efficient. But I am also not interested in spending the $$ to go to H55F even though that is what I'd prefer.

All insight accepted. Also if there any 3FE power tips (mine seems super strong ), I don't imagine there are any, but if there are let me know. For example I would consider a new free flowing exhaust perhaps...

Last edited:
Does the shifter actually pop out of gear like a manual???

You mean it goes to almost like a neutral type position and has no drive?

My shifter linkage was very sloppy, although it was not popping out of gear. In addition to the worn out bushings in the shifter, I replaced the grommets and bushings in the linkage itself, and now it is very precise--actually indicates on the shifter which gear I am in. Very cheap fix as well. I'm wondering if worn out bushings and grommets in the shifter linkage may be part of your problem.

Dre,
Have you adjusted the kick down cable linkage?
Curious as my 92 and my 88 neither would come out of gear but would get stuck in 3rd and spool up when I hit the gas, The kick down cable was too loose and it would not go into overdrive. I know there is a very detailed way to do the adjustment and all but I think moving the cable in about 2mm would be a good starting point.
Dave

My shifter linkage was very sloppy, although it was not popping out of gear. In addition to the worn out bushings in the shifter, I replaced the grommets and bushings in the linkage itself, and now it is very precise--actually indicates on the shifter which gear I am in. Very cheap fix as well. I'm wondering if worn out bushings and grommets in the shifter linkage may be part of your problem.

No I adjusted and replaced all of this, I am 100% positive it is not the linkage. I should not have mentioned it as all it does is throw the conversation off...

An interesting thing is I am filling to the dipstick levels but it got a little worse this week with the miles I am putting on the truck. I decided to add about a 1/2 quart (with the auto trans dipstick on the low side) and it made an immediate difference and its now almost all but gone. There is now a slight tone noise difference and the trans is now a hair more efficient it seems but it is still a little sluggish as well. I am wondering if my dipstick is maybe wrong as crazy as that sounds and it maybe needs even more fluid perhaps...

Again open to all ideas/comments...

The FJ62 is actually proving OK for commuting and this pass in general in terms of power.

Top.. I tried to change the thread title to "A440F Efficiency" but it wouldn't allow me to unfortunately...

It is now running better than ever but still feels pretty inefficient. Also, over certain RPMs it will also allow it to all of a sudden rev a lot smoother and easier like there is a strain. There is a Tanner Transmissions locally in Heber City that does something called a "power flush" which basically completely flushes the trans and then replaces it with new ATF. The guy who does it (I had it done on my ford just in case, it was a noticeable difference as well) is really nice and would probably do the Rodney Flush for me as well if I asked, just a whole lot more efficient and less messy... And on the lift we could look for where the leaks are as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom