Isolating Driveline Vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I hope someone can help me out here.

My 1998 Tacoma 4WD has about 55,000 miles on it. A thousand or so miles back it developed a low-frequency rumble that varied only with road speed. It was most noticable between 35 and 45 mph, but was also audible at highway speeds. The vibration is constant through turns and leans, but it does vary when driving through a dip as the vehicle squats down on the suspension.

This morning I drove the truck and the rumble turned into a definite vibration at 70-85 mph. It does not behave like an out-of-balance tire. I believe it to be U-joints or the double cardan joint, but could also be the transmission output bearing, the drive shaft splines, or the differential input bearing. Any suggestions how I might isolate the problem? My visual inspection showed no signs of rust or loose joints.

Hi, I hope someone can help me out here.

My 1998 Tacoma 4WD has about 55,000 miles on it. A thousand or so miles back it developed a low-frequency rumble that varied only with road speed. It was most noticable between 35 and 45 mph, but was also audible at highway speeds. The vibration is constant through turns and leans, but it does vary when driving through a dip as the vehicle squats down on the suspension.

This morning I drove the truck and the rumble turned into a definite vibration at 70-85 mph. It does not behave like an out-of-balance tire. I believe it to be U-joints or the double cardan joint, but could also be the transmission output bearing, the drive shaft splines, or the differential input bearing. Any suggestions how I might isolate the problem? My visual inspection showed no signs of rust or loose joints.

Lift the rear tires off the ground and put it in neutral to check joint looseness. (turn driveshaft back and forth quickly to look for looseness)
I would also put a wrench the the thru bolts and make sure they are all tight, along with greasing the driveshaft.

The 1998 TRD has 55k miles on it. All I can find that appears loose is the center support bearing/bushing (don't know what it is).

1. I can easily move the shaft about 1/8 to 1/4 inch circular motion inside the support. Is that about normal? Seems too loose to me. If this sounds definitely too loose, then I can save a visit to a mechanic who may or may not know what loose is.

2. A Timken OEM replacement costs $96 from Autopartswarehouse. The stealer wants $201+ for their replacement. I also found one for $45 from Driveshaftparts.com. What do I get extra for the stealer's $210 - just a good screwing ?

3. The support mounting bolt holes are elongated to allow the CSB to be moved forward/backward somewhat. What is the alignment procedure?

4. Is there another brand I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Skeezix

Last edited:
The 1998 TRD has 55k miles on it. All I can find that appears loose is the center support bearing/bushing (don't know what it is).

1. I can easily move the shaft about 1/8 to 1/4 inch circular motion inside the support. Is that about normal? Seems too loose to me. If this sounds definitely too loose, then I can save a visit to a mechanic who may or may not know what loose is.

2. A Timken OEM replacement costs $96 from Autopartswarehouse. The stealer wants $201+ for their replacement. I also found one for $45 from Driveshaftparts.com. What do I get extra for the stealer's $210 - just a good screwing ?

3. The support mounting bolt holes are elongated to allow the CSB to be moved forward/backward somewhat. What is the alignment procedure?

4. Is there another brand I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Skeezix

1. That sounds pretty normal to me....at least my buddy has about the same amount of movement in his driveline.

2. Don't think you need it.

3. Not sure on that.....Might find the answer here.....
Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page

4. Timken, Nachi, Koyo - I would pick one of the three.

Has the driveline been greased recently?

Check at each end of the driveline (transfer output and pinion yoke) for play, should be none.

help!

Im also experiencing what i think is a rear dshaft problem, when im driving at any random time while coasting, i can hear this awfull repetitive clunking noise, it clunks faster with speed and is more likely to make its noise when im going faster

Has the driveline been greased recently?

Check at each end of the driveline (transfer output and pinion yoke) for play, should be none.

Check for loose bolts in the driveline flanges.

Im also experiencing what i think is a rear dshaft problem, when im driving at any random time while coasting, i can hear this awfull repetitive clunking noise, it clunks faster with speed and is more likely to make its noise when im going faster

Check the above. I would definitely start by greasing.......if you don't find anything out of the ordinary, I would pull apart the rear brakes.

Raydouble,

I found the CSB alignment procedure in the manual. I took the truck to a mechanic and he agrees with you - nothing wrong with the CSB.

Thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom