Want to take friends wheelin at Rubicon? Are we too fat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been promising my buddy who has never off roaded and his kids who love R/C crawlers and have never been either that as soon as I get finished with fixing up the 40 that we would go to the Rubicon. Now that the only thing left is to get the Dekker traction bar on, I'm worried that all of us may be too heavy to do Rubicon in one truck. The FJ40 is SOA, SM420, 1F, 4.88, Longfield 4340 all around, 35" tires, ConFerr bumpers, winch, second fuel tank, 50lbs in tools, no hardtop but custom full family roll cage. Springs are Canadian made (Swans)? I have not weighed the rig yet but from reading other threads about vehicle weight, I'm guessing ~4300lbs.

Here is the weight of passengers:
me: 212.45325
my son: 70
buddy: ~240
son 1: ~200
son 2: ~200

~1k total

I figure I can cut down how much fuel I carry (no need to have both tanks full at the beginning). One cooler liquid consumables, one for food, and all the camping stuff.

They're gonna follow in a passenger car up to the trail and drive the 40 in.

Is this going to be an overload for 40 on the Rubicon?

Last edited:
Are all of 5 of you going to be in the 40 at the same time while on the trail? Hope you are all rreeeall good friends b/c it's going to be packed :grinpimp: I've never been to Rubicon, but you will start to notice all that weight once you get in some off camber situations. If it gets too precarious, you can make some passengers get out and walk/spot the obstacles for you.

thanks Unoman... that's exactly what I was thinking. We crawl along but when we get to a major obstacle or extreme off camber. Everyone gets out, primarily for safety. I'm just wondering if the running gear and suspension will handle all this MAN weight :D

First off... Are you base camping, and then doing some of the Con... Or are you planning on running all the way thru and packing camp each night?

The reason I ask is with 2 people and all the camping gear the 40 is full..

so good luck with having 5 people and all the camping gear in it..

If you're worried about weight make people get out at the hairy stuff..

My buddy's 40 on a BDS 2 1/2" lift sagged bad with about 1000 pounds in it.

I was thinking getting to spider, setting up camp there and then going out sight seeing.

>snip<

Here is the weight of passengers:
me: 212.45325
my son: 70
buddy: ~240
son 1: ~200
son 2: ~200

I have no idea.. but I want to see a pic! :D

Feeling sorry for your 70lb son! (kidding..) Being a big guy myself, I'm trying to figure out a way to fit me, wife, and 3 little kids in my rig. Do you have a rear bench? Just curious...

Best of luck to you.. :beer::beer::beer:

I have no idea.. but I want to see a pic! :D

Feeling sorry for your 70lb son! (kidding..) Being a big guy myself, I'm trying to figure out a way to fit me, wife, and 3 little kids in my rig. Do you have a rear bench? Just curious...

Best of luck to you.. :beer::beer::beer:

Yes Sir, I sure do have a rear bench. I've seated the kids (well two of them are 17 and ofcourse Jr. who is 7) Imagine Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris but they all claim to be comfortable :D. I know that will get old quick once we hit the rocks. I got my big buddy in the front. Trucks looks fine, with very little sag but that's with the shocks on stiff setting. I have the rear basket for one cooler and a roof rack for a second and camping gear. I'll just need to get to Spider to unload. I guess Jr. and I can walk to let them have some fun while we spot them.

progress07.JPG

Please take pictures!! :devil smiley:

I would make everyone walk to spider, unload, and then take them out.. (if dudes kids are 200 lbs they can use the exercise anyway)
I highly recommend getting another rig to go with you as well.. you don't want that extra 1Klbs braking something on your rig, then you get stranded...

Or wait a couple weeks and take them on Rubithon..

OHH talking about this you do realize there's a lot of snow up there still right? (unless it melted with this past heat wave)

I was thinking getting to spider, setting up camp there and then going out sight seeing.

LOL...Mark! Yeh, there is still plenty of snow on most of the trail and I gotta take a trip and which happens to fall right during Rubithon (that would have been ideal). We won't be going until some time in July.

My main concern is breakage with all that weight. We'll probably go with a another rig or two *hopefully*.

Yes Sir, I sure do have a rear bench. I've seated the kids (well two of them are 17 and ofcourse Jr. who is 7) Imagine Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris but they all claim to be comfortable :D. I know that will get old quick once we hit the rocks. I got my big buddy in the front. Trucks looks fine, with very little sag but that's with the shocks on stiff setting. I have the rear basket for one cooler and a roof rack for a second and camping gear. I'll just need to get to Spider to unload. I guess Jr. and I can walk to let them have some fun while we spot them.

Sorry.. I know i'm hijacking your thread. I'm sure you were asking for advice on off-roading, shocks, etc.. and I'm useless there..

Is your bench mounted above the wheel wells? or between them?

Duh, ok.. I'm seeing the pic now. looks like bench between the wells. Wow, they must be sitting on the wheel fender wells or on each other. That's a VERY nice looking rig to be taking off-road!! Rubicon or Rubithon.. post pics when you get back! Enjoy!

Last edited:
I figure I can cut down how much fuel I carry (no need to have both tanks full at the beginning)

Have you ever been there?

Last thing I would not have full would be fuel tanks.

:meh:

I know my FJ45 has a heavier spring pack. Do Troopies have FJ45/55 springs or do they stick with FJ40 springs?

I've seen about 20 guys crawl out of a troopie in Venezuela after a pretty hard road. And they were haulin' butt too (pun intended). I don't think any were 200+ pounds but it was packed full o' people.

Sorry.. I know i'm hijacking your thread. I'm sure you were asking for advice on off-roading, shocks, etc.. and I'm useless there..

Duh, ok.. I'm seeing the pic now. looks like bench between the wells. Wow, they must be sitting on the wheel fender wells or on each other. That's a VERY nice looking rig to be taking off-road!! Rubicon or Rubithon.. post pics when you get back! Enjoy!

Well it's pretty but it's built to go. The seat is between the wells and they all manage to fit on the bench without sitting on the wheel wells.

Poser - yeh we've been there a few times twice in the FJ Cruiser and one time in the 40 and that's when we broke the rear pinion and I started the heavy duty build up. We have 40 gallons between the two tanks. I thought having one full and one with a few gallons for "just in case"

psreno - I want to make it enjoyable for them. First time at the con is tough as it is. Breaking down will be a total party pooper so that's why I wanted to know if we would be grossly over weighed.

If you plan to do the whole trail you will probably need more than one tank of fuel. I always take my stock tank plus 10 gallons. The trail isn't long but your truck is running for a lot of hours.

MHO is I wouldn't do that trip on a dare.

How many sets of seatbelts do you have??

looks like he has a con-ferr bench...either with a box under or above the wheel wells...it fits 2 nice....very tight for 3

I like them...i've got the bench that bolts to the top of the wheel well...nice seats...but then again i dont sit back there when driving...i hear they arent very comfortable :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom