SMOG - what's in or out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be answered in other threads, but there are so many SMOG threads I will be scanning for weeks. As an Aussie where we don't have the SMOG issue, tell me some more about the whole SMOG thing please? Is it still a requirement in the USA as I see many de-smog threads and other threads with guys are having to get their rigs re-checked for the SMOG system etc.:cheers:

Varies greatly by State and even Region within individual States...

It's a wonderful system.

Cheers.

Not sure what you guys downunder get for smog equipment. Removing the stuff devalues your cruiser here, and the only part that really reduces power is the EGR system. If this system is disabled, detonation can be a real problem and lead to engine failure if not delt with properly. If your cruiser is running good, leave it alone.

The problem is that trying to make a hideously-inefficient 55-year-old push rod engine design pollute less is largely a waste of time, a classic example of "putting lipstick on a pig". So the smog systems put on these motors were Rube Goldberg band-aids to quickly satisfy whatever mandated-by-law standards were enacted at the time. The real answer to the problem was to design a newer much more efficient engine, which of course Toyota has been doing ever since. As an example, the 1GR-FE engine in 4Skinners and FJC's has the same displacement as an F engine but makes almost twice the hp and fuel economy and of course pollutes much less too.

What the modern owner of a 40 or 60-series truck is left with is an overly-complicated set of +/- 30-year-old brittle plastic VSV's, BVSV's, VTV's and etc. that may or may not work anymore and frequently break in half when disturbed, not to mention other problems like carbon-plugged EGR and non-functioning air injection pumps. You can repair them all if you have to or really want to, but you're still just re-applying lipstick on a pig.

This may be answered in other threads, but there are so many SMOG threads I will be scanning for weeks. As an Aussie where we don't have the SMOG issue, tell me some more about the whole SMOG thing please? Is it still a requirement in the USA as I see many de-smog threads and other threads with guys are having to get their rigs re-checked for the SMOG system etc.:cheers:

Yes, smog control equipment is federally mandated in the USA on vehicles built after ~1967. Removing it is a felony crime.

Yes, smog control equipment is federally mandated in the USA on vehicles built after ~1967. Removing it is a felony crime.

True for 49 States, but California has more strict smog guidelines to follow then the other 49 States!! We are special in California:clap:
Hence, in Shop manuals phrases like, Federal Models (49 States) and part on California Models only, IE. EGR Air Temp Sensor= $120, smog check bi-annually at a state regulated facility, and to much else to list! Just simply it sucks to live in California vs the rest of the USA, as far as smog stuff goes:bang:

Same Fed rule still applies to us Kalifornians, we just get more carpola on top of that.

Same Fed rule still applies to us Kalifornians, we just get more carpola on top of that.
Yes sir, like catalytic converters for 49 states are $90 but cant be sold to California, we have to buy special ones for California at $220 ea. California cats have more expensive metal used in them and lower the emissions coming from them. The cheaper ones for the 49 other states use a different metal and remove less.

So, if you some how get federal cat installed on your California ride, it may or may not pass the smog test even if it is new, emm. If it does pass it might not the next time because the efficiency goes down with time. Lucky for use F62 owners because we have two cats instead of one like most cars and trucks.

Very interesting, thanks for all the insight, BUT, what are all the desmog threads about then? Is this to remove the SMOG systems and if so, are these owners the naughty bunch?

Very interesting, thanks for all the insight, BUT, what are all the desmog threads about then? Is this to remove the SMOG systems and if so, are these owners the naughty bunch?

Some States don't require a smog check when registration comes do, or they are a naughty bunch and pay some smog check station to fake it. Hence why now California tried to make it more difficult to do this by having Smog check only locations and are watched more closely by California Officials, but it can still be done, it just cost more to grease the palm of the person running the check station. If he gets caught, serious stuff can happen to him, like a fine, or maybe even jail.
LOL like that ever stopped people. People still drink and drive, if caught, same results. California even sends out undercover officials to try and catch such check stations, but it's still done.

The neat thing is, there's sreally no one to enforce it:lol: Kind of a tit-less law;)
It's more the state and local stuff that will bit e you in the ass.

The naughty ones....I love it:lol::beer:

Check your state and local laws and if there's no requirement to keep it, I'd probably dump it. Most say it makes thier cruisers easier to work on (simplify's the bay immensely) and run better/more efficiently. Kind of a tedious process though from what I've seen.

If your state or locale do in fact require it, break out the manuals and start replacing all the BS little vacum lines and such...they don't last well in the heat:(

FInally, if you ever want to resell, you may have an issue. Some DMV's have a section that you must sign that states the emission controls have not been removed or tampered with. Falsly completing that "could" land you in trouble. Not very likely, but wanted full disclosure on the matter.

And in some states, like the People Republic, you have to smog them to sell them.....what PITA.

Ever happens here, I'll sell the bitch!

Because "1911" above is so spot-on, that is why so many guys prefer a late model Chevy engine swap. Owners of 1976-newer models who are purist can't even keep their OE emission devices operable. Late model GM engines are 1,000 percent smog legal in any Landcruiser. There is nothing the government would like better than for all of us to put a clean burning, late model muscle engine in our rigs---then sit back and enjoy the additional ponies and better gas milage!!!!!:clap:

snip.....
California cats have more expensive metal used in them and lower the emissions coming from them. The cheaper ones for the 49 other states use a different metal and remove less.
Source for this please?

AFAICT the only difference between a 49 state cat and KA cat is that the KA is model specific where the 49's are generally universal.

I asked a Magnaflow tech if there was ANY difference between the 49-state and CA versions of their CATs ... Short answer: No. (Their facility is in So. Cal).

They stamp some additional info on the heat shields to satisfy CA Smog Nazis, but other than that, same shizzle.

And for the privilege of that additional production step, we get to pay about $175 more.

I asked a Magnaflow tech if there was ANY difference between the 49-state and CA versions of their CATs ... Short answer: No. (Their facility is in So. Cal).

They stamp some additional info on the heat shields to satisfy CA Smog Nazis, but other than that, same shizzle.

And for the privilege of that additional production step, we get to pay about $175 more.

I stand corrected, I guess. Guys at shops will tell you anything to make ya fell better about parting with more cash in SoCal on Smog Specific to CAL. Whatever the reason, we still pay more for smog related crap and testing in Cal.:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom