mini truck p/s install - why is it so hot? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just completed my mini truck p/s install. Works great, turns easy, runs smooth. The question I have is why does the pump and gearbox get so hot? Is this normal? Using stock manifolds without headers. Is this just a by product of engine heat absorbtion? I know the pump is not working hard, just street driving on 33's.

Hydraulic fluid gets very hot under pressure. Do you run a cooler in the return line?

No cooler. I'm just worried about melting seals in gear pump. I'm not running it hard, but I guess that's a function of my rpm's not terrain.

You need a cooler. The stock 40 version had a long tube cooler. Many others use a small cooler (I think Man-a-fre sells them...and not too expensive).

I use the aux tranny cooler from a '92 FJ80. Here's my thread. Took about 1 hr once I figured it all out:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/289209-80-series-atf-cooler-used-40-series-ps-cooler.html

I plowed snow for 15 hours straight with several hundred pounds worth of plow and brackets on the front end and had no heat problems whatsoever.....just sayin'....

Just buy a small tranny cooler from Summit or Jegs (or local parts store) It will save the pump in the long run.

i just completed mine mini truck ps conversion. I run a cooler and a filter... It runs nice and cool.. I highly suggest using the factory heat shield on the gear box... I can't believe i waited 19 years to put on power steering.. What a difference.

I plowed snow for 15 hours straight with several hundred pounds worth of plow and brackets on the front end and had no heat problems whatsoever.....just sayin'....[/QUOTE]
Sounds to me like you've had several hundred pounds of white, soft cooler instead!!!

True, outside temps are low, but I'm really working the steering. I plow residential driveways and narrow mountain roads and am constantly turning this way and that. That's one benefit of plowing with a 40....I can turn around in spots that a full-size pick-up never could. Before I had the minitruck PS, my arms and shoulders would ache so badly after a big storm and I'd be dripping sweat from the efforts of turning with the manual steering. Don't know why I waited so long to do the PS conversion.....stupidity, I guess.

True, outside temps are low, but I'm really working the steering. I plow residential driveways and narrow mountain roads and am constantly turning this way and that. That's one benefit of plowing with a 40....I can turn around in spots that a full-size pick-up never could. Before I had the minitruck PS, my arms and shoulders would ache so badly after a big storm and I'd be dripping sweat from the efforts of turning with the manual steering. Don't know why I waited so long to do the PS conversion.....stupidity, I guess.

Did you have to trim your fender in order to fit it around the gear box? The brackets I bought from OrangeFJ40 were all pre drilled so I had no room to adjust the gearbox location.

I picked up a junkyard cooler from a suburban (I think?) for $10 and it works awesome. I just installed it between my bib and my radiator. I did have to trim my fender to fit around the new gearbox. I trimmed and bent/rounded the edges to prevent vibration damage to any hoses or parts just in case something rubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom