Stihl MS180 C-BE boggs down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having trouble with my Stihl MS180 C-BE chainsaw. The engine boggs down under a load and when just reving the saw. I have replaced the spark plug (properly gapped), rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel line and the fuel filter, cleaned out the chain brake and the clutch and cleaned the fuel tank air pressure stabilizing valve. Also cleaned muffler and replaced spark arrestting screen.All with no luck. Getting frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
Waiting on the Chainsaw KING to reply.

What length bar?

Are you at any elevation?

What size chain? Does the front raker in front of the actual cutter bent over or is it straight up and down?

Have you ever adjsuted (filed) the rakers? Did a shop sharpen the chain or do you do it yourself?

It's 14in bar and chain, with a new chain on the saw. my elevation is 640' above sea level. I do sharpen the chains myself using an Oregon 511A. The rakers are angled low to high with the high end in front of the cutter. They are Sthil chains. I guage the rakers and grind them when necessary.
But I believe my problem is connected to the carb or fuel system, because the saw falters or boggs down when i'm not actually cutting. The engine will rev up when I pull the trigger, but after a few seconds rpms will drop about 1/2 then rev back up again. Almost like I flipped the kill switch for a micro second.

Carb.( 2 cents) the new gas seems to clog small motors Mike

Found the problem. Using 10x magnifying classes I discovered a tiny piece of fiber partially clogging the high speed jet in the carb. removed it and saw functions perfectly.
Thanks all for your input.
Rick

I think I am having the same problem with mine. How did you get the carb off? It's looking a little tricky to me. I have never worked on anything this small. I took it to the shop for repair, thinking it was the carb but they told me I ran straight gas through it and seized it up. I didn't run straight gas through it and it isn't sized up so I am wanting to dig into the carb myself. All help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I think I am having the same problem with mine. How did you get the carb off? It's looking a little tricky to me. I have never worked on anything this saw. I took it to the shop for repair, thinking it was the carb but they told me I ran straight gas through it and seized it up. I didn't run straight gas through it and it isn't sized up so I am wanting to dig into the carb myself. All help is appreciated.

"Seized" may mean a scored piston/cylinder, have you loaned it to someone?

Welcome to mud BTW.

no never loaned it out. After I got home I remover the spark plug and looked in there and everything looks good. It idles fine but after you rev it up it looses power. I have ran many 2 stroke motor cycles and atv's and feel as though its a carb problem. The muffler looks easy enough to remove but I want to check out the carb. They wrote it up as I ran straight gas through it and seized it. I ask if they checked the carb and they said no. I told them that I ran Polaris gold synthetic in it, which I used to use in my drag bike years ago, service manager says stihl says that that is an unacceptable oil. So I am just wondering how to go about pulling the carb off the easiest way to check out the jets. Thank You for all replies.

Last edited:
Its all clean just a blackish color. A couple of the small holes were plugged with what seemed like excessive oil, but once I blew on it it was clear. All small holes free of residue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom