Replacement OEM door has holes that need... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My replacement used OEM RF door(from Collector Series LC) has holes that need to be filled to match the rest of my 91' 80's body.

I know welding the holes shut would be ideal, but that's not an an option for me. Plus I would have warpage concerns.

Is there another way to affix some sort of backplate from the inside of the door and cover the hole glued to the area around the hole.
Then I would just have to fill divot with poly-filler.

I was thinking of jbweld-ing a metal backing plate.

Any other ideas to fill the holes left from the removal of the Collector series trim pieces?

Yes..welding would be ideal, but you could always use fiberglass....or one of the new fillers with with fiberglass or kevlar in them.

would I still need a backing plate with one of the new fillers?
Or would a fiberglass mesh be my backing plate?

thanks

would I still need a backing plate with one of the new fillers?
Or would a fiberglass mesh be my backing plate?

thanks

I don't think you would need a backing plate with fiberglass. If you get the Bondo brand fiberglass kit that Walmart or the autoparts stores sell they'll come with Cat Hair glass that works better. If you can get to both sides you could patch both sides.

Odd tip...if you have any Chinese take out plastic containers they work great for mixing the resin. The resin won't stick to it and you can reuse. Also....buy some throw away paint brushes to apply.

Use the brush to take off any resin that runs down the door...minimizes sanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom