Timing Mark Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody, I have a 55 with a 1f engine and can't find the TDC mark on my flywheel. I have the timing mark but nothing else. Any idea what that is all about? It is a 68 motor if that makes any difference. I am trying to set the valves and really need to know what to do. I helped an fellow cruiserhead do his valves this weekend on his 2f and it was simple. I know there are other ways to do this without the TDC mark on the flywheel. If anyone has any idea what I need to do please let me know. I searched last night but couldn't find anyone with my exact problem. Thanks

Just guessing here but I have had to look real hard sometimes to find the mark on the flywheel.

Lots of light and someone turning the crank by hand.

If the engine is running, hook up a timing light. You should be able to see it, this way you know it is there.

It is really nothing more than an indentation in the flywheel. You should line it up with the marks on the cover

Not the right year but you'll get the idea:

1987 Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 Liter Timing Marks

Use a bit of white paint to mark it after you've found it, for the next time.

That is what I thought too. I have the timing mark painted white for timing but no line around it. Would it be in a different spot on a 1f? I had one other guy check it out for me and still no go. Hmm.

Is there a certain measurement from the timing mark that I can use and make my own line?

The TDC mark will be 7 degrees after the timing ball as the flywheel goes around.

Genuine 1F Flywheel: :)
IMG_3438 (Large).jpg

Dangit. I'll go look again but I swear I couldn't see it. Thanks for the help. Great visual Dave, I appreciate it! = )

i had the same trouble...

i put a light at the fly wheel hole, and rolled it around till i found it, then painted it white...

i discivered that my engine times TDC when the dot/nipple is completely out of view.

SO, i took a chevy timing chain cover clip thing with the degrees marked on it, and attached it to my engine via the alternater (power steering relocation) on the passenger side,

experimented with a chalk mark on the pully/balancer, and finally scribed the pully with a thin grove/mark line, and marked it with a thin white paint line,

and adjusted the attached clip/degree indicator, unitl the 7 degee mark on the degree marker was on the pully mark i put on it, and that is how i time my f engine now.

personnaly, whoever thought peering into the starter/fly wheel access plate hole was a good idea, ought to be ... well, then, maybe someone did shoot the guy. sorry, but i bet he never went out in to the shop and tried to work with his design.

Fj, that is a fine idea. I will do that as soon as I can. I have a crank pulley marker on another rig of mine just sitting there. Nice...

The TDC mark will be 7 degrees after the timing ball as the flywheel goes around.

Genuine 1F Flywheel: :)

so is the line TDC and the BB is 7 degrees before? Also, should the light be on cylinder 1 or what?

Thanks,

db

Last edited:
what cylinder should the timing light be on? 1?

so is the line TDC and the BB is 7 degrees before? Also, should the light be on cylinder 1 or what?

Thanks,

db

What about TDC--Line or the ball

The line is TDC #1 cylinder.

OK--Brain problem. The ball is after the line in rotation. Correct?

So why would the ball be 7 degrees advanced?

No, the ball comes up first...

If you are setting your valves using a static technique then accuracy is not that big of a deal. If you set the timing mark so that it is just visible to the clockwise (right) side you are close enough. You can also find TDC by viewing the piston top through the plug hole.

:meh:

You can also figure the timing mark is 3/4 flywheel teeth south of the BB !

Looking at the flywheel,rotating clockwise, BB first which is timimg mark 7deg. before top dead center, next is the line which is top dead center for valve adj. clean the area and mark the BB and line with paint for the next tune up.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom