Crank case breather smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my truck was doing that so I checked my compression. I had 2 dead cyl. On my f1.5 only 4 comp rings out of 12 were still in one peace! Sorry but I think you are done for.

Yowza!!! I hope you are wrong my friend :bang:

Didn't have a chance to do the compression test last night, but did pull the valve cover. Everything appears to be in order and all rods/rockers are moving as they should when I crank the engine over. The mystery continues

Mine does the same thing, I'm about 2K miles into a rebuilt engine. I have a small hot rod style breather filter and it puffs just like you are describing.

I WAS getting blow by before the rebuild....the oil cap blowing off was the dead give away then, not sure what is causing the smoke from the breather, but mine is consistent....

Mine does the same thing, I'm about 2K miles into a rebuilt engine. I have a small hot rod style breather filter and it puffs just like you are describing.

I WAS getting blow by before the rebuild....the oil cap blowing off was the dead give away then, not sure what is causing the smoke from the breather, but mine is consistent....

Does a little bit of oil come out with the smoke from the breather? This is really weird. Does yours smoke enough to come back inside the cab as you are driving?

Runs back to the aircleaner. You can put a little filter on that.
Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

what breather filter did you get?

I am getting the same thing just recently, mine filters back into the carb filter, I am getting excess oil in there and now I am getting a weird sound from my pvc valve, Could a bad pvc cause this?

Maybe we could get a video to see what kinds of pressures and smoke we are talking about. Some blow-by and pressure is normal.

I know a little blow and pressure are normal, but the smoke was bad enough that it could be seen from the car behind and was easliy visible blowing by my head as it hit the backside of the front windsheild. I had a smoke issue from the tailpipe before the new head was installed, but this is clearly from the breather this time

Annnnnd the numbers are in:

Cylinder 1: 0
Cylinder 2: 130
Cylinder 3: 140
Cylinder 4: 120
Cylinder 5: 145
Cylinder 6: 135

I put some oil in cylinder #1 and tried it again and it got up to 100 psi. So, does this mean I have an issue with the head or rings?

:bang::bang::bang: I was afraid of that. Now...the debate of rebuild, find a new 2F or V8 swap.

Putting a fresh head on an old bottom end can cause problems sometimes. If a head is loosing compression from the seats and then the seats are fixed, sometimes the old rings can't take the extra compression.

:bang::bang::bang: I was afraid of that. Now...the debate of rebuild, find a new 2F or V8 swap.
It will cost close to 2000 to rebuild it correctly doing it yourself as I just did mine. You can do a used v8 for that with the cost of the adapters. A rebuilt 2f cost more than that and with a used one you might be in the same boat. I wanted to keep matching numbers. Choose your poison.

It will cost close to 2000 to rebuild it correctly doing it yourself as I just did mine. You can do a used v8 for that with the cost of the adapters. A rebuilt 2f cost more than that and with a used one you might be in the same boat. I wanted to keep matching numbers. Choose your poison.
I was quoted $2100 for a complete rebuild by a very reputable shop in Portland, OR. on the 2F. With a used V8, you may run into the same problems, it may need a rebuild as well, plus adapters, motor mounts and you might want to change out the tranny as your rpm's will be very high at low hwy speeds. Or you can add a ranger overdrive for a mere $1500 just for the parts...Depends on what you want to do and how much $$ you want to spend.

Or you pop the head, run a ridge reamer around the cylinders, pull the pistons, hone it and put it all back together using standard or .010 over rings. Cost, somewhere around $200. You need to pull the head anyway just to find out what happened to #1. Could be a ring or a hole in the piston.

I'm waiting on a quote to come back on a 2F rebuild. I'd keep the stock 4 speed right now and hopefully scoop up a used bell housing here on MUD. Either way, the tear down begins tonight :grinpimp: IF the V8 conversion is cost prohibitive compared to rebuilding the 2F, then I'll go 2F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom