Seat Heater Switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The leather seat surfaces in my 80 are going to be replaced soon with a new leather seat kit from one of the MUD vendors. While all dis-assembled I also plan on installing some seat heaters too.
I'd like to know where other people have installed the seat heater control switches and what type of switch did they use? Pictures of the install would be great to see.
How about the JDM 80 Land Cruisers? Did they come with factory seat heaters? If anyone has one of these can you take some pictures of the factory switches and location.

I've never seen where OEM switches would have gone, maybe a dolled up LX450 would have had them. My guess is they went on either side of the rear heater switch in the blanks that are there.

There is a thread on here somewhere about them. MOT sells them but they are black. You can also get ES300 switches that are direct plug ins and match most tan interiors. The LX450 doesnt' have the space but the 80 series glove box coin holders are exact fits and they look real nice.

There is a thread on here somewhere about them. MOT sells them but they are black. You can also get ES300 switches that are direct plug ins and match most tan interiors. The LX450 doesnt' have the space but the 80 series glove box coin holders are exact fits and they look real nice.

I was looking at a LX 450 and there was two knock outs in the lower center dash. Would those work?

They would work but the switches are labeled vertically and not horizontally so the center console coin slots work great.

If you have a 450 do a center console swap. The sub-woofer isn't that great anyway.

The unuseful coin holders in the center console can be knocked out and any of the Toyota switches can be installed there. I have some heaters sitting in the garage for a year and a half so no pics, but I picked up some seat heaters switches from the yard out of a Subaru that seem to fit but I also have a couple rear heater switches that will work but dont have the cool seat pic on the switch. But the center console coin holder things are where I plan to install mine.

Hope that helps!

The factory seat heater switches are fitted on either side of the storage space next to the handbrake (emergency-brake for you guys...).

I can take a photo if you want? If I remember right its a two way rocker switch (same as the rear heater switch) with high/off/low settings.

Jamie

I have the Lexus switches (92-96 ES300) in the centre console of my LC

IMG_0029.JPG

There are other OEM switches that will work too, both horizontally and vertically. Ebay is a good source.

Mine are also in the console...and are the JDM ones from MOT. I believe he can also get horizontal ones if you wish to mount them in the dash...but the OEM wiring is under the console, so I would stick with the easy wiring solution.

cyclosteve-albums-heated-seats-picture11895-jdm-factory-toyota-switches-thanks-mot.jpg

:cheers:

Steve

IMG_0029.JPG

I like the way these look installed into the center console. Do you know if these switches are available in gray?

Mine are also in the console...and are the JDM ones from MOT. I believe he can also get horizontal ones if you wish to mount them in the dash...but the OEM wiring is under the console, so I would stick with the easy wiring solution.

cyclosteve-albums-heated-seats-picture11895-jdm-factory-toyota-switches-thanks-mot.jpg

These switches look nice too!!

:cheers:

Steve

They're not really grey, but black:

049c4099.jpg

(for sale btw, one is slightly cracked on the lower left, but it doesn't affect the function of the switch)

Center Console Seat Heater Switch ES300

IMG_0029.JPG

There are other OEM switches that will work too, both horizontally and vertically. Ebay is a good source.

Lexus part is
84751-33011-22

Looks to be available only in black--all color codes refer to this black switch.

IMG_0029.JPG

Did you do a write up on these?

I have the same switches but haven't mounted them yet because Im unclear on wiring them.

Lexus part is
84751-33011-22

Looks to be available only in black--all color codes refer to this black switch.
Yeah, unfortunately this is the case. I have yet to find another oak-coloured HI-LO seat heater switch.

Did you do a write up on these?

I have the same switches but haven't mounted them yet because Im unclear on wiring them.

I didn't do a write up on the original installation, and I have since changed the wiring to use the factory installed plugs. CycloSteve has a couple of good explanations in a few threads. If I get some time I'll try to compile all the relevant info in this thread.

I didn't do a write up on the original installation, and I have since changed the wiring to use the factory installed plugs. CycloSteve has a couple of good explanations in a few threads. If I get some time I'll try to compile all the relevant info in this thread.

I didn't know there were factory installed plugs. Do they just lay loose under the center console? Id be really interested to hear how you went about this project.

I really REALLY could use some handholding on installing my seat heaters from you gurus (ahem, cycloSteve, etc).

I have new AAtlas1x leather and seat heaters; I have JDM switches. I see the connectors. And now I freeze: I am not electrically enabled in the slightest, and adapting the seat heating wiring to fit the Toyota wiring scares the sht out of me.

This is going to be my winter project, so Im not in a huge hurry. But would so love some help on this I would even be willing to pay— pre-made, dummy-proof connectors anyone?

(As an aside, the new seat heaters Shane gave me have a new inverter(?) or something that makes wiring an additional bit of fun. Anyone with info on this please chime in.)

Here's a quick how to on wiring your heated seats using the factory wiring in the truck and the JDM heated seat switches. I originally made my own harness with relays and such, but this is a much cleaner and simpler install. Thanks to CycloSteve for sharing his wiring layout with me, saving me from hours of "quality time" with my multimeter! :cheers:

Under the centre console of my 96 LC (and most others I presume) are these plugs:
IMG_3279.JPG

(I bought new carpet from gotmud this summer, so it looks a lot nicer in there now!)

Left seat heater switch plug
IMG_3278.JPG

Right seat heater switch plug
IMG_3276.JPG

These are the JDM seat heater switches (photo courtesy of mot). Note that the connectors here are a perfect match to the connectors under the centre console, almost like Toyota knew what they were doing ;)
attachment.php

If you haven't ordered a set of heated seat elements yet there are a couple good sources listed on the board. AATLAS1X is a vendor here and sells them here. There was also a group buy a few years back, and last I heard they were still honoring the discount price. TomH did a great writeup on installing the elements here. I have a set from the group buy and IIRC CycloSteve's are from Shane (AATLAS1X), but the wiring on the kits is exactly the same from what I could tell. I wired mine the same way Steve did his, and neither of us has caught fire yet :D

I don't have any photos of this part, but if you take a look at the truck side of the electrical harness under your power seats you will see two pins that don't have corresponding wires on the seat side of the harness. These are the HI and LO power wires for the heated seats that come from the switches. Steve has explained which wires do what, but I second his advice to double check it with a multimeter first in case Mr. T changed wire colours at some point.
Ok, here are the wires in the plug under the seat that feed the aftermarket elements. Of course it is best that you test to be sure that they are giving the right signals, as your truck may vary from mine.

White with black trace = Ground - you will need to tap into this one, as it is also used for the powered seats.

Blue with black trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Lo position

Blue with orange trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Hi position.

Following more of Steve's advice, I wired the yellow wire from the heated seat element control box to the 12V LO signal; the black wire from the control box to 12V HI signal; and the red wire goes from the control box to the ground on the power seat harness. I used some OEM wire splices I had kicking around to get the HI and LO signals from the seat connector to the heater element control box, and cut/spliced the ground wire into the ground for the power seats. This way you can still disconnect the plug and remove the seats without redoing any wiring.

The last thing I did was switch out the JDM switch body for the oak ones from a 92-96 ES300. The plugs on the back of the switch body are exactly the same, and I compared the wiring diagrams just to be safe.
attachment.php

I like the look of the oak switches in the oak interior. There might be a grey option out there too for those of you with the drab elephant skin interior ;)
IMG_0029.JPG

A couple other threads with some good info:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/244742-looking-group-buy-heated-seats-last-year.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/254870-heated-seats-way-question-switch.html

Hope that helps!

I really REALLY could use some handholding on installing my seat heaters from you gurus (ahem, cycloSteve, etc).

I have new AAtlas1x leather and seat heaters; I have JDM switches. I see the connectors. And now I freeze: I am not electrically enabled in the slightest, and adapting the seat heating wiring to fit the Toyota wiring scares the sht out of me.

This is going to be my winter project, so Im not in a huge hurry. But would so love some help on this I would even be willing to pay— pre-made, dummy-proof connectors anyone?

(As an aside, the new seat heaters Shane gave me have a new inverter(?) or something that makes wiring an additional bit of fun. Anyone with info on this please chime in.)

Your wish is my command! :p:D:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom