New Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matt32

I make the smoked meats
Threads
Okay so I've got a new noise and I need opinions. When turning I hear a sound kind of like a whoop, whoop, and feel a pull in the steering wheel at slow speeds. The noise is coming off of the passenger side. It is not a constant problem and it will occasionally do it while turning to the right. I realize this is somewhat cryptic but any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes to the first one and no I haven't added any moly. I will check it tonight. I was going to do the wiggle test tonight also. What type of moly is recommended?

Last edited:
I just went back and reread your original problem. So, new seals and a new birf done by a mechanic. I wouldn't be surprised if either the wheel bearings loosened up or if he didn't use enough grease in the knucke or both. either one is simple to fix.

If the wheel bearings pass the wiggle test you can add moly through the knuckle plug to try and grease the spindle bushing. The bushing has grooves to pull grease into it, but I don't know how effective that is.

If you want to pull it off and grease it properly you can pull the entire knuckle without touching the wheel bearings and all of the new seals. Just pull the cap on the flange and remove the snap ring, remove the brake caliper and hang it out of the way, remove the felt wipers/seals on the back of the knuckle, loosen the upper trunion bolts(don't remove), and remove the four nuts/washers/cone washers on the loser steering arm and remove it,. you can then take the entire assembly off without dealing with the cone washers on the flange or the bearings, etc.

That was the first thing i thought but I can't seem to find him. I did keep hearing something about Rocky Marciano also. if that helps.

Last edited:
Okay finally got around to the wiggle test and it is a loose wheel bearing so to all you 80 afficenados out there what's next for a noob wrench turner? Did I mention I have pulled pork?

Did I mention I have pulled pork?

me too, but always my own.

fix this as soon as possible. it can ruin your bearings and route-out your housing.
Alls you need is a 12mm socket for the hub studs, a c-clip tool, and a 54 mm hub socket to tighten the hub nuts.
Somebody up there has to have that...

^^^

If you can bring them tomorrow I can swing by and get them from you. Now that I know what's wrong I guess I should fix it.

Matt thanks for the offer but I've had something come up tomorrow so I guess I'll shoot for the meeting.

Okay we'll get the good out of the way first. Thanks Matt for the borrowing of the tools and you were right it wasn't nearly as bad as I was thinking.

Now the bad, bearing tightened back up noise is still there. I'm going to get some moly tomorrow but I got no ideas as to what the noise is.

Bad bearings maybe?

maybe dry spindle bushing? could be bad bearings too, but you would have probably felt that when you turned the wheel. I would check the grease through the square plug, and add some if low. random question, but when you put the snap ring back on, was it tight to the flange or was there a large(3/8") gap between the two? just wondering if you might have a long replacement birf with a short drive flange. That could cause some wear on the spindle bushing. my vote right now is dry spindle bushing.

Snap ring was tight to the flange. I was going to add moly this afternoon and hope that fixes if not then back to square one.

Snap ring was tight to the flange. I was going to add moly this afternoon and hope that fixes if not then back to square one.

good - I think bad bearings would make more of a constant roaring noise, at least that has been my experience. if adding the moly doesn't work, you will have to give it a few days for it to work itself into the spindle, worst case you pull the hub and spindle to grease everything properly and check/replace the bearings. the hardest part of any of that is removing the cone washers, so you know it is no big deal.

I hates a dry spindle bushing...

If the bearings were destroyed then my experience is more of a humming/whining noise than a whooping noise.... that said. if you had to tighten them down when you went in... and the star washer was in place... I bet the bearings are toast, because otherwise everything would've been toght in there.
I've had great success with Oreilly's inner and outer bearings for these 80's... those bearings are cheap(er) and have held up to my harsh punishment.
it always amazes me at what Oreilly's has for 80's... inner axle seal... sure! bearings... sure! U-joints... sure!

Had to retighten everything but nothing was loose if that makes since. Nothing was so loose that I could turn it by hand. Also the tabs on the star washer were tuned to the outer nut.

Had to retighten everything but nothing was loose if that makes since. Nothing was so loose that I could turn it by hand. Also the tabs on the star washer were tuned to the outer nut.

oops... one or two of those tabs needs to go to the inside nut as well. i suppose it doesn't matter, but you don't want that inner nut to make it's way further in and heat the bearings/spindle/birfield to the point of breaking easily... which I've also seen before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom