real time help: Size of diff flange nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to know what size the differential flange nuts are. We can only find that they are 10mm ... need the pitch. Thank you for any help.

Adding info .... we are looking for the dimensions of the studs that hold the third member to the axle. 78 FJ40 so far we know the nut is 14mm and the stud is 10mm .... just dont know pitch...

Last edited:
Hi All:

If you mean the bolts that attach the drive shaft to the differential pinion flange, the factory Toyota bolts/nuts are have 14mm heads.

Regards,

Alan

It's a 'fine' pitch. Taking a guess at 1.0

John

The actual bolt size varies by year. The very early ones were 8mm. Then came 10mm, and after 75 it was 11mm I think.

The heads on all the ones I have messed with have been 14mm, but there is a weird set I got from Toyota that had 12mm heads and 11mm shafts, and the 12mm head had a thick flange.

Anyway, I think the Cruiseroutfitters site has engineering drawings of the flanges by year.

Cruiser Outfitters

Thanks guys!!! I am working on a 78..... the heads are def 14mm and the stud is 10mm just cant figure the pitch ..... will check the link Drew.

Hi All:

If you mean the bolts that attach the drive shaft to the differential pinion flange, the factory Toyota bolts/nuts are have 14mm heads.

Regards,

Alan

Not working on pinion flange.

Its the studs holding the third member to the axle.

I am fairly certain the 78 will have 11 mm x 1.0 bolts with a 14mm head.

Good luck!

Found posers response under post "pumpkin stud nuts"

Just a little slow...

Caterpillar part number: 1R-6484 .19 each list.

10x1.25 nut....14mm wrench.

Cashman Equipment Co
4610 Vandenberg Dr
North Las Vegas, NV 89081

(702) 649-8777

I will source these and if the store that is open tomorrow has them, 11mm too..... just to make sure.

Hi All:

Cruisertime, please let us know if those inexpensive Caterpillar studs work out for you.

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

Cruisertime, please let us know if those inexpensive Caterpillar studs work out for you.

Regards,

Alan

Alan-

That is the nut, for retaining the differential housing to the axle, not the stud.

:beer:

Hi All:

Yeah Steve, I realized that after the fact! :rolleyes:

Too bad! Is OE Toyota our only choice for replacement diff housing studs?

Thanks! :D

Alan

Hi All:

Yeah Steve, I realized that after the fact! :rolleyes:

Too bad! Is OE Toyota our only choice for replacement diff housing studs?

Thanks! :D

Alan

You might be able to find something at McMaster-Carr

I have not ever looked; I just have the OEM piece on hand.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom