New 3FE fan with Super Juiced Clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

inkpot

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy! Yup, I did it. Got it all torn down, which is a lot like work with dual batteries and a super charger all in the way. Got the fan on OK, but now I cannot get the SC belt back on. Even tried a new (spare) one, no luck. It is routed just like the diagram on the inside of the hood. I made up the custom tensioner wrench, as per Phil, and it worked great for removing the belt, but now it is way to short going back on. Kinda feel stupid on this one, so I'm walking away from it till tomorrow. Anybody got any tricks for this one?? Phil?? Murf???

Best I can tell you is to jump in the XD and come look under my hood and see if the routing is different. Call me first, its at the fabber right now

Congrats on the fan clutch!

Howdy! Yup, I did it. Got it all torn down, which is a lot like work with dual batteries and a super charger all in the way. Got the fan on OK, but now I cannot get the SC belt back on. Even tried a new (spare) one, no luck. It is routed just like the diagram on the inside of the hood. I made up the custom tensioner wrench, as per Phil, and it worked great for removing the belt, but now it is way to short going back on. Kinda feel stupid on this one, so I'm walking away from it till tomorrow. Anybody got any tricks for this one?? Phil?? Murf???

IIRC put the belt on all the grooved pullies and then slide the belt over the flat pulley without grooves.

SC belt route.jpg

Serpentine belts can be a bit of a fight, they must be seated down in the grooves on all of the grooved pulleys or they will appear too short. Sometimes it seams like you need 4 hands.

Well, as per your suggestion, I welded up a socket on a bar as a custom tension wrench. Worked great to remove the belt. But putting it back on, it was about 1.5 inches short. Go Figure. I really don't know how I got it off so easy. I have the same TRD sticker under the hood, and I am sure my belt routing is correct. Ran out of time yesterday to continue experimenting. Today I got an hour out there on it, and TA DA!!. It's on now. I did have to figure out how to hold a full size wrecking bar in my teeth to get it done by myself?!?! I also found that due to the backspacing on the new fan being more than stock, I had to modify my tension wrench some more to make it fit. The 80 has officially drawn blood now, so I feel much closer to it now. I guess that's a right of passage? Tomorrow I will replace the battery boxes and re-wire everything. Now I just need to splash a bit of paint on the hitch (thanks to Tools) before I hang it on. The safety chain loops were bent pretty ugly(thanks to Rob?) and when I tried to bend them back, they snapped off, so I welded some new ones on. I sure hope my wife appreciates all this!! John

... I also found that due to the backspacing on the new fan being more than stock, ...

Did you keep the clutch spacer and how does the spacing fan to rad/shroud/pulleys look?

Did you keep the clutch spacer and how does the spacing fan to rad/shroud/pulleys look?
Howdy! Yup, kept the spacer in since the new fan actually fits rearward about 5/8" from the old one. More clearance to radiator core, and still plenty of room around the pulleys. The inner rind on the body of the new fan does sit closer to the clutch, so I had to modify my custom tension wrench some extra to make it fit. Also had to modify my left arm quit a bit to make it fit too!! Should have it all buttoned up this afternoon. Can't wait to fire it up and see if it sucks the dead bugs right off the front bumper?!?!

Howdy! Yup, kept the spacer in since the new fan actually fits rearward about 5/8" from the old one. More clearance to radiator core, and still plenty of room around the pulleys. ...

Sounds great, that's exactly what we were looking/hoping for!:hillbilly:

HOLY CRAP!!! I now drive "The White Tornado"!! With the windows down, I can hear the fan over the engine and road noise, especially when it gets past 1500 rpm. With the windows up, I can barely hear it. I think it sucks wind almost as much as the Piggy. Unfortunately, I have not owned it long enough to have driven it in the max summer heat, so I can't make actual numerical comparisons. On short commutes around the neighborhood, the A/C is running around 45 degrees, according to my cheap gauge. I would be interested it getting it "looked at". I see no bubbles in the sight glass, but that's not the only thing to look at. Anyone got a good A/C shop in the east valley? I am interested in comparing this fan/clutch performance to others like it, Murf, Rob? WHOEVER? Anyone have a wind gauge? I WILL be at the meet on Friday.

Oh, P.S. Keven what was the oil we were talking about at your shop the other day?

HOLY CRAP!!! I now drive "The White Tornado"!! ...

You said you wanted it to suck or blow or something, so I put the juice to it, wanted you to notice a difference!:hillbilly::lol:

... Anyone have a wind gauge? I WILL be at the meet on Friday.

There is usually a lot of hot air blowing around at the meets, but to my knowledge no one has attempted to measure it?:hillbilly:

Oh, P.S. Keven what was the oil we were talking about at your shop the other day?

No idea, we talked about a lot of things?:confused::doh:

That fan is pulling so hard it will probably increase my gas mileage! I can wish? I will get some more miles on it tomorrow and Friday, some on the hiway, so I can get a feel for it at cruising speed. Putting around the neighborhood today, I noticed that the OEM temp gauge is reading about a needle's width cooler than it did before. I didn't expect that. It may be all in my mind.

I pulled the 3rd row seats today. Any special tricks to removing the shoulder harness belts from the "D" pillar?

I was trying to remember the synthetic motor oil we were talking about. I wrote down the filter P/N, but not the oil info.

I consistently get 50 degrees at the vent, fresh or recirc. I'd kill for 45, although Kevin just 'tuned' my wife's fan clutch as well, haven't installed it yet so we'll see how it does.

I was trying to remember the synthetic motor oil we were talking about. I wrote down the filter P/N, but not the oil info.

I run Mobil One 15W-50, from wallyworld, ~$23 a 5 qt jug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom