Installed my first "MOD" to the Hundy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is simple, and there will be more significant mods to come, but I thought some of you may be interested in this display.

It's called the CTS-Insight. I'm currently involved in testing it, Edge is hoping to release it here in the next month or so. It will work on any 1996 or newer vehicle with OBDII. It displays SAE PIDS, and will scan/clear trouble codes, as well as a bunch of other features.

Anyway, here's a crappy cell phone photo:

Insight.JPG

This is a good alternative to the Scan Gauge II for those of you who want an In Cab Data display device.

Powered and grounded by the OBDII port. It turns on and off with the key.

What is the price point?

Anthony, Retail on the Color Touch Screen (pictured above) is going to be $438.88. You'll be able to buy them for $399.

I had a bunch of questions about it from local cruiseheads, and a couple from guys here, so I talked with Edge and got a group buy arranged. They're knocking $150 off of the retail price for Cruiser owners through a group buy. Check out the link in my SIG for more details.

PS> thanks Corey ;)

Wow, that's pretty spendy. I'm always one to love big shiny LCD screens, but think I will just stick with ScanGauge II for $149.99 (Group Buy price).

think you meant $299 for the CTS????

Yes, $299 is the group buy rate, $399 is the best deal you're going to find on them once they are released, the group buy will end on June 30th.

AnthonyL said:
Wow, that's pretty spendy. I'm always one to love big shiny LCD screens, but think I will just stick with ScanGauge II for $149.99 (Group Buy price).

You're right Anthony, it is quite a bit more money than the ScanGauge. However it is far more capable, and packs a bunch more features.

Here are a few things:

Maintenance Manager - will be out in the next release. It will keep track of all the general maintenance done on the vehicle and remind you when maintenance is due.

Back Up camera - I love this feature. I never have to get out of the truck to hook up the trailer. It may also serve as a good way to see blind spots while on the trail.

5v Sensor Hookup - You can configure any 5v sensor you'd like. Say you want to run a pressure sensor on your ARB tank so you know exactly what pressure it is currently running, you can do that with the CS or the CTS. Say you want to run a temp sensor in a water heater setup you've put on the rig, you can do that with the CS/CTS.

Also keep in mind on the group buy you can get the CS for $199. It's a big upgrade from the ScanGaugeII in my mind, and that's not a terrible price difference.

tarmac,

That looks like a very cool little device and I am sure it will generate lots of interest.

Can it do the MPG recalculation with a variable for tire size?

How has it been working with the Toyota specific engine codes, more specifically your hundy? What has been your experience? Is that driven more from a user input function(knowing codes i.e. auto trans temp code) or the device being preprogrammed to handle it?

Also, I was curious about how this devices handles software updates? If it does, would it be firmware based updates? How is the update/upgrade done?

Thanks for your time and for setting up the group buy...

I'm going to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

tarmac,

That looks like a very cool little device and I am sure it will generate lots of interest.

Can it do the MPG recalculation with a variable for tire size?
The device does Instant MPG using a variety of engine inputs that are run through an algorithm, it doesn't do average MPG. Instant MPG does take corrected tire size into account in the calculation. It also allows you to display the true vehicle speed with larger tires.

How has it been working with the Toyota specific engine codes, more specifically your hundy? What has been your experience? Is that driven more from a user input function(knowing codes i.e. auto trans temp code) or the device being preprogrammed to handle it?

So far I'm very pleased with it. I spend a lot of my time on an automotive dyno tuning vehicles for a living, so seeing things like spark advance and Air Intake temperature give me a good idea of what the engine likes to see.

I would like to see the Parameter I.D. (PID) list filled out more. I'll put together a list of what it currently supports. This list will hopefully grow to at least equal what the ScanGaugeII supports. There is no secret code input, the device gives you the ability to chose the individual PIDs you want to display on the screen. The list is pre-populated so you simply chose from the list. You are also able to set up alerts for any PID that is supported. The alerts are completely customizeable, ie you can set the alert range. You can have 8 alerts active at once. It also has a records section where it keeps track of all of the max values that have been reached on the vehicle.

Also, I was curious about how this devices handles software updates? If it does, would it be firmware based updates? How is the update/upgrade done?

There will most likely be Firmware and Calibration updates down the road. Edge has a really slick update utility that installs on your PC. You simply connect to the PC with a mini-USB and run the utility. It tells you if there are updates available and gives you the option to install them. Generally an update takes about 1-2minutes via cable modem.

Thanks for your time and for setting up the group buy...
You're welcome, hopefully some of you guys take advantage of it! :D

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Last edited:
Maintenance Manager - will be out in the next release. It will keep track of all the general maintenance done on the vehicle and remind you when maintenance is due.

Back Up camera - I love this feature. I never have to get out of the truck to hook up the trailer. It may also serve as a good way to see blind spots while on the trail.

Slick, however I already have both with my Toyota GEN 4 Factory NAV unit.

5v Sensor Hookup - You can configure any 5v sensor you'd like. Say you want to run a pressure sensor on your ARB tank so you know exactly what pressure it is currently running, you can do that with the CS or the CTS. Say you want to run a temp sensor in a water heater setup you've put on the rig, you can do that with the CS/CTS.

Cool feature.

I looked all over and couldn't find the exact dimensions of both units. I'm interested in mounting it somewhere else, out of plain sight. Also, any pictures of the back of the unit? I think I saw a rigid plug coming straight out... I'm concerned about the amount of depth required.... like in the sun visor or ??

I looked all over and couldn't find the exact dimensions of both units. I'm interested in mounting it somewhere else, out of plain sight. Also, any pictures of the back of the unit? I think I saw a rigid plug coming straight out... I'm concerned about the amount of depth required.... like in the sun visor or ??

Hoser,

I'll get you some dimensions and photos tomorrow. I think it is probably a bit to large to flush into the visor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom