Gear swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to swap my 4.11 gears for 3.73. On a scale of 1 to 5, how hard of a job is it and what special tools will I need? Can't find a write up on this.

forget the gears you'll have to set them up and all that nonsense. Just get the pumpkin with 3:73 gears in it and swap that out. Going this way would be a 2 banana job no mods at all

forget the gears you'll have to set them up and all that nonsense. Just get the pumpkin with 3:73 gears in it and swap that out. Going this way would be a 2 banana job no mods at all
Any special tools required to remove the pumkins off a pair of fj60 axles and off the 40?

Any special tools required to remove the pumkins off a pair of fj60 axles and off the 40?

Stock FJ60 3rds are pretty common because a lot of them are swaped out for 4.11's when upgrading to 33" tires. If you're patient you'll find a pair cheap. Keep track of the front versus rear. Fronts usually see very little wear so you might want to switch the front and rear around.

To answer your question, on the FJ60, no special tools beyond those needed for replacing the axle seals.

Where are you located? I would trade you two 3.73 third members straigh across for a set of 4.11s.

I know nothing about gears, how do the 3.73 differ from the 4.11? Lower gearing?

4.11 is a lower gear compared to 3.73.

I know nothing about gears, how do the 3.73 differ from the 4.11? Lower gearing?
You get higher speeds on the highway at lower rpm's with the 3.73 gears. Much better on the engine if your truck is a DD. 4.11's are better for off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom