transfer case leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My recently rebuild 1970 TC has a very slow leak out of the where the speedo cable threads onto the TC. Currently I don't have my speedo hooked up and am going to use after market Vehicle Speed Sensor from Jags That Run and then a Autometer electric speedo sensor onto that. Right now I get a few drips that weep out of the opening (nothing threaded on there). Is this normal? Will it affect my VSS or speedo sensor when I thread them onto my TC or will it seal my leak?

Nick

Crazy.....this is in the Frequently Asked Questions list.

Trans/T-case, Clutch and parking brake info

Trans/T-case, clutch and parking brake including information on the Orion transfer case, Fairey Overdrive and the PTO Gearbox and Winch info

Proper clutch disc orientation

Flywheel/Clutch/Flywheel Housing/Transmission compatibility

Pilot bearing removal

Pre-fitting pilot bearing to transmission input shaft

Flywheel step measurments

Speedometer cable oil leak <---- Why your speedometer cable leaks oil at the transfer case, or why you are getting gear oil to the speedometer head and leaking in the cab.

Custom speedometer cables

Longer parking brake cable info

Transfer case seperator

Going through/rebuilding a one-piece tcase

More one-piece case rebuild info

3 spd tcase to a 4 spd trans

Toyota H55 five-speed tranny and split transfer case info

3 speed T case info

420/465 rebuild parts sources

Low gearing options/craw ratio

ORION INFO

Fairey overdrive

PTO Gearbox/Winch info

Hey Nick,

Does your parking brake cable reach OK? I assume that moving the t-case back behind a 700R4 will make the cable too short. Since I don't have my body on yet I don't know how mine will fit.

Steve

Hey Nick,

Does your parking brake cable reach OK? I assume that moving the t-case back behind a 700R4 will make the cable too short. Since I don't have my body on yet I don't know how mine will fit.

Steve

Nope, doesn't look like it going to fit. I'm going to have to source a longer one by maybe 18 inches or more. The 40's at the muffler shop right now getting a exhaust piping and a flowmaster.

Nick

Here is a link about the cable issue. Poser has a link to a place that will make cables to order.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/115982-emergency-brake-options.html

I am debating my exhaust also. I have no idea what it will cost to have a custom exhaust installed. I assumed lots. I have been looking at kits, but none have the exact parts I need. How much is your shop going to charge for the exhaust?

Nope, doesn't look like it going to fit. I'm going to have to source a longer one by maybe 18 inches or more. The 40's at the muffler shop right now getting a exhaust piping and a flowmaster.

Nick

The shop I'm getting it down at quoted about $380 + tax for flowmaster muffler and exhaust system. I'll have to order a new cable b/c right now I have no parking brake.

Nick

Last edited:
The shop I'm getting it down at quoted about $380 + tax for flowmaster muffler and exhaust system. I'll have to order a new cable b/c right now I have no parking brake.

Nick

GREAT PRICE!
Is that from the ram horns back?
Im concerned with the prices around here in NV. I stopped at a shop with approx. dimensions and got quoted 650.00!:bang::eek::crybaby:

BULL SH*T!

Sorry, but dont have anything to add re. the speedo cable leak!
Post up what you come up with though if you dont mind.
Im concerned with this as well. Ill have the VSS, but Im not sure if that well interface with the speedo gauge. I suspect that Ill need to run a cable to the gauge in the dash from the original cable slot on the 19 spline case.

The $650 price is about what I expected here too. One shop quoted me $380 from the cross over back. I have a friend who restores hot rods for a living. I hope he can point me to a cheaper shop when the time comes.

The leak from the speedo housing with out a cable installed is normal. There is oil there. It is designed to dribble a little into the speedo cable to keep it lubricated. There is a thick felt washer that goes into the housing before you attach your cable. It is what controls the flow of oil, like a wick.

GREAT PRICE!
Im concerned with the prices around here in NV. I stopped at a shop with approx. dimensions and got quoted 650.00!:bang::eek::crybaby:

BULL SH*T!

Im concerned with this as well. Ill have the VSS, but Im not sure if that well interface with the speedo gauge. I suspect that Ill need to run a cable to the gauge in the dash from the original cable slot on the 19 spline case.

Are y'all s***ting me? Flowmasters are about $80 each. It should cost no more than $100 in pipe and labor to run the exhaust. So that's about $260 for two mufflers and exhaust run for a sbc...

GREAT PRICE!

BULL SH*T!

The $380 seemed like a reasonable price to me and that is from the ramhorns back. I'm going to go pick it up in about an hour. I'll post up some pics of the finished work. I was having a hard time deciding between the 40 or 50 series b/c I still wanted to have a little V8 throaty sound but not too much. The guy at the shop suggested the 40 series so we'll see.

I just got my VSS and have a autometer speedo sender and with a rough test fit the speedo sender seems to be loose on the VSS, but once I get the cruiser back to the house I'll be able to actually test fit it.

The $650 price is about what I expected here too. One shop quoted me $380 from the cross over back. I have a friend who restores hot rods for a living. I hope he can point me to a cheaper shop when the time comes.

The leak from the speedo housing with out a cable installed is normal. There is oil there. It is designed to dribble a little into the speedo cable to keep it lubricated. There is a thick felt washer that goes into the housing before you attach your cable. It is what controls the flow of oil, like a wick.

$650 seems WAY to high! The leak is exactly as you describe, slow little drip. I have all the felt and o rings that came w/ my rebuild kit from cruiseroutfitters, it was the only thing I didn't use. Makes sense having the lubrication for the gears in the housing.

Nick

I agree! Too bad the shops don't :frown:

Maybe shop around some? I got my full exhaust from the block huggers back, all above the skid plate done for $100. I supplied the mufflers. Maybe it's the lower cost of living around here....

From the Y pipe back above the skid w/1 40 series knockoff $180.00. Last yr.

I just got back from the muffler shop and w/ a flowmaster 40 series from the ram horns back was $340.00 plus $28 in tax for a total of $368. $100 would have been better but seems like an average to good price around here.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom