Empty trailer shakes - question on fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a tandem axle trailer and it shakes when empty and vibrates and bucks the 80. Drives me crazy. I was thinking of removing the forward tires so it's sitting on the rear set only (the braking wheels) on the theory it will ride better and load the tongue more while empty. Someone else suggested reducing the tire pressures dramatically - especially the front set.

I'm a little worried about both of these strategies. The leaf springs of each axle are connected with a pivot so with one set of tires missing the remaining spring pivots close to the frame and I think it's going to hit once in a while. Anyone tried this, or have another thought? I'm going to be going 2600 miles empty so it's a lot of jiggling I'd like to avoid.

DougM

I'm not sure, but does the trailer ride level with the 80?

x2

Doug,
I wonder if the hitch is just tall enough to unload the front set of tires on the trailer enough to leave them spinning and skipping more than tracking under the load, perhaps leading to the dodgy tracking?

Assuming that you have a 2" receiver, you could borrow a drawbar with a couple of inches more drop and see if that helps before worrying about fancy alignment stuff.

1. bent tongue

2. something loose on the suspension or bolts (maybe 1 axle shifted over)

3. level with TV(mentioned)

4. bad/bent rim, bad tire

Get out a tape measure and verify some easy to reach measurments..I know this seems really obvious...but sometimes that's all it is.

For something to shake like your describing something is off or not lining up

Sorry, I seem to have misled you guys. There's nothing wrong with the trailer, it's just that it's designed to carry 7000lbs and when its empty the suspension just bucks around and jiggles the truck. Totally normal for an unloaded tandem axle trailer - the springs are way harsh in that mode. I'm just trying to figure out a way to tow it that will mute that natural tendancy. If you've ever towed an empty trailer you'll know of what I speak - constant clanking as the stinger bucks up and down over freeway expansion joints, etc. The trailer is beautifully aligned, tows level and nothing's wrong with it at all.

DougM

I'd start with adjusting air pressure. Can't go too far in that direction and you'd still have to bother with airing up when getting ready to load. It might help.

I know big trucks have axles they can lower when needed. Probably too much money if the trailer is just used for local runs, but could be worth looking into for those who do long distance runs where it's a problem. Never seen one for anything as small as a 7k trailer, but ???

^^^^ What he said. I don't think you will be able to do much to make it ride nicer. I have had a lot of single/tandem trailers here at work and some are nice, well made, and other not so. Some over built and a PITA towing. I think it's all design, some good and some suck. Sorry for the lack of help.

If you remove one set of tires, could you then strap that axle up to the frame to simulate load and stop the pivot point from hitting ?

might help, you'd have more weight on one set of springs...

Strap enough of the cheapest 50 lbs bag of whatever you can find on the trailer and toss them when you get where you're going.

Or go to Home Depot, buy 1000 lbs of whatever in Idaho and return it to a Home Depot at the other end of your trip.

I put the wife back there, no more problem...

Strap enough of the cheapest 50 lbs bag of whatever you can find on the trailer and toss them when you get where you're going.

Or go to Home Depot, buy 1000 lbs of whatever in Idaho and return it to a Home Depot at the other end of your trip.

I've seen water tanks installed for this purpose. Fill'em up to provide ballast, empty when hauling a load.

Maybe lower your tire pressure on trailer. Air it back up when you load it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom